Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Access to Technical service/workshop info???

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:23 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Access to Technical service/workshop info???

For those guys who are into DIY maintenance on their cars, are there sites on the web that give access Porsche Technical service information etc???

Asked my dealer for an extract from their workshop manual with regards to the front/rear brakes today to have a procedure on hand to ensure that everything is lubed, anti-seized and torqued to spec. I know that the general procedure has been covered on this site which is why I'm happy to do it. I'd rather have the workshop notes on hand to ensure I don't miss anything...

I was told that they could not supply this info for reasons of liability but that I could purchase the info from Porsche AG online... Any ideas on how/where?

Also, for those who frequently track, it has been mentioned that a bolt by bolt inspection is done before each track day... Can you please clarify exactly what checks you perform in preparation for each track day? Please be thorough as I would like to establish some sort of procedure for myself. Many thanks in advance

Last edited by 911rox; 07-26-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:31 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

For the first part of your question, workshop manuals exist in the net for download but doing that is illegal.
For the 997 you won't find them though mainly because Porsche stopped printing sometime ago so people can't find them scan them and post them around, workshop manuals for sometime now are implemented in the PIWIS in electronic form.
If you decide to buy from Porsche you wont receive the printed material either but PDF's of them.
They are great to have and very helpful and worth the money if you decide to DIY you car.

John

edit: here is a link with prices: https://techinfo2.porsche.com/PAGInf...ricing&lk=ELSE
Old 07-26-2010, 11:37 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
For the first part of your question, workshop manuals exist in the net for download but doing that is illegal.
For the 997 you wont find them thought mainly because Porsche stopped printing sometime ago so people cant find them scan them and post them around, workshop manuals for sometime now are implemented in the PIWIS in electronic form.
If you decide to buy from Porsche you wont receive the printed material either but pdfs of them.
They are great to have and very helpful and worth the money if you decide to DIY you car.

John
Do you know how I get access to PIWIS John? I found the particular site but it requires you to be a Porsche repairer or similar business to register for download... Don't think DIYer fell within their list of approved businesses
Old 07-26-2010, 12:28 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Porsche doesnt accept the term DIY so you pretend you have a shop with only one customer
register and just buy the service manual you need.
Full PIWIS is veeery expensive.

John
Old 07-26-2010, 06:39 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Will give it a crack considering the service department are useless for info sharing....
Old 07-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

lets us know how that goes!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:41 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Logged onto the site and it would basically be the same site the dealerships would use... Lots of info available. Shame Porsche get the dealers to redirect us to it for $$$ when the dealers have access and could supply the same info at no charge... especially after stinging over US$270k for the car...

It ain't for the fear of liability through mis-information, its for cash!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:50 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what about renntech.org ?
Nothing useful there?

Quick Reply: Access to Technical service/workshop info???