Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Is it Stupid to by GT3 If You Don't Plan on Tracking

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:45 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It is wonderful to have all win win choices. As others said, it is a personal choice as everyone has their own priorities. So no right or wrong, almost subjective as the exterior color.

For me, I wanted to buy a RS to drive on lengthy trips and semi daily local use. I found the clutch to be harder to use (depress) in stop and go traffic, and the ride for a long trip is not as comfortable as a Turbo or "regular" 911. I also think my non car enthusiast passenger would be challenged with some comfort too, which is important to me.

Best is to drive them the 3 or RS for a long test drive at end of a day when you may have less energy and adrenalin flowing.

Good luck.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It depends on what you are looking for in a car. If you are looking for a Grand touring GT Car get a Turbo. But if you are looking for one of the fastest N/A cars on the road that will put an evil grin on your face ever time you drive and do not mind feeling bumps and a hard clutch and want to own the true modern evolution of the 911 go for the GT-3.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:30 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

If you truly love to drive you will not be disappointed with the GT3. It is, noisier, has a rougher ride, and you can't hear the sound system as well, but for pure driving enjoyment it is sublime. All Porsches' have a unique connection and feel to the road and the GT3 delivers that feel to the nth degree. Whether you track or not, if you love to drive, you will love the GT3.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:24 PM
jacksojf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
If you truly love to drive you will not be disappointed with the GT3. It is, noisier, has a rougher ride, and you can't hear the sound system as well, but for pure driving enjoyment it is sublime. All Porsches' have a unique connection and feel to the road and the GT3 delivers that feel to the nth degree. Whether you track or not, if you love to drive, you will love the GT3.
What KBS said...sums it up perfectly!
Old 07-25-2010, 12:03 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
Your GT3 is a completely different animal. I remember driving the 996 GT3, sitting at a light with the whole car shaking and vibrating to the hum of the engine! Bumps are punishing, the noise insane...it's quite unlike just about any other car I've driven.

I haven't tested a 997.1 GT3 but the 2010 is quite civil. If anything I think the ride might be better than the last 997.1 Turbo I drove. The new GT3 is nowhere near as direct IMHO as the 996 GT3.
Thanks for the explanation, and now I am quite intrigued by the new GT3 as a DD. I've been looking at '07 TTs because of the price point, and assumed the new GT3s were close to as raw as the old one so scratched them off the list...

Does the '10 GT3 come with anti-corrision spray on the undercarriage? As I stated in an earlier post, the 996 GT3s and 997.1 GT3s did not - so driving in the winter/snow was out of the question.

-Blake
Old 07-25-2010, 01:02 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
Thanks for the explanation, and now I am quite intrigued by the new GT3 as a DD. I've been looking at '07 TTs because of the price point, and assumed the new GT3s were close to as raw as the old one so scratched them off the list...

Does the '10 GT3 come with anti-corrision spray on the undercarriage? As I stated in an earlier post, the 996 GT3s and 997.1 GT3s did not - so driving in the winter/snow was out of the question.

-Blake
Hmmm...I'm afraid I don't know the answer to the underspray question. the only thing that would stop me from driving it daily though is the wing...draws a bit of attention;-)
Old 07-25-2010, 03:52 AM
ac27
Advanced

This may have already been posted but in my opinion the GT3/rs are very raw. They are not necessarily the car you bring to the golf course to meet your coworkers. The turbo is much more of an everyday car that you can bring really anywhere and still enjoy it (considering it is one of the most powerful cars on the market). The GT3 is a car that you tear off through the countryside in or bring to the race track. Also I must add that the sound on the GT3 and GT3rs is 100x better than the sound of a turbo regardless of what after market exhaust you put on it. That being said, DO NOT think that the turbo is weak by any means, its all wheel drive system is great and it will really throw you back HARD in full acceleration. Coming from the CS either of these is going to blow you away. For you its hard to give you advice without knowing you, but heres my joke of a way to figure out which one would be better for you. Do you own a pair of shoes that are solely devoted to driving? If you do than you are a better fit for the GT3! Just my opinion.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:45 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

my usual prescription. purchase, euro delivery, track it. you won't regret it. you can even sign up with Porsche sport driving school here in germany and drive your new car.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:46 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by ac27
... They are not necessarily the car you bring to the golf course to meet your coworkers...
LOL... between the carbon bucket seats and clubsport rollcage I can't even fit a golf bag... Golf is definitely out with this car
Old 07-25-2010, 10:51 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blake

-Blake
The .2's are not under-coated either.

The .2's have a more compliant suspension than the .1's.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:01 AM
BelMaseto
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
My buying guide is:
1. Buy whatever you like
2. drive wherever you want
3. try hard not to hurt anybody including yourself doing 1. and 2.
The best i've heard for years...absolutly agree.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Autarky
Instructor

Your GT3 is a completely different animal. I remember driving the 996 GT3, sitting at a light with the whole car shaking and vibrating to the hum of the engine! Bumps are punishing, the noise insane...it's quite unlike just about any other car I've driven.

I haven't tested a 997.1 GT3 but the 2010 is quite civil. If anything I think the ride might be better than the last 997.1 Turbo I drove. The new GT3 is nowhere near as direct IMHO as the 996 GT3.
Out of interest, in regards to the 996 you drove. .1 or .2 GT3? Any more comparisons you can give on the difference between 997 and 996 versions? Sorry to hi-jack the thread!
Old 07-25-2010, 12:17 PM
mental dental
Advanced

It is perfectly possible to use a 997 GT3 as a daily driver. I used ours for a 10 mile commute most days as well as longer road trips and the occasional trackday. Whilst it is a bit noisier and a bit more twitchy than other 997, get out on an open road and suddenly all makes sense. We had a 997 C4 as a loaner, and my wife's comment summed it up....she said compared to the GT3 we could have been in a BMW.....good; but not as special.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:23 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Autarky
Out of interest, in regards to the 996 you drove. .1 or .2 GT3? Any more comparisons you can give on the difference between 997 and 996 versions? Sorry to hi-jack the thread!
It was quite a while ago while I was working at a Car Magazine just out of university. I believe that only the 996.2 GT3 was sold in North America (I've attached an image of the test car).

The 996 GT3 is the closest thing to a race car I've ever driven on the street. The ride in downtown Toronto on rough pavement was incredibly hard. I mean the car felt like it would break kinda hard. As I pointed out the car reverberated with life. The flat six pounding back and fort like a paint shaker at Home Depot.

The responses to inputs are direct. Too much throttle in a low speed corner and the car will easily understeer. lift off under load and it will rotate. It will do exactly what you tell it to do but you need to be able to speak deliberately and smoothly to the car. It will kill you.

The sound is simply unbelievable and the speed is intoxicating. I know some much much better drivers than myself who swear by them because they are so much like a race car in terms of responsiveness.

the 997.2 GT3 is, well, a GT car. Smooth, stable, comfortable and available with all the mod cons. I wouldn't hesitate driving one across the continent. There's more "rubber" in the reflexes and joints.

I drove a 997.2 GT3 in Germany for a few hours and we cruised the autobahn at 280 km/h for 30 min. and sat at an indicated 312 km/h as long as we could. I've never driven a car that was as planted at that speed (except maybe the Veyron;-) and I certainly don't have the brass or the skill to try that in a 996 GT3.
Attached Images  

Last edited by LastMezger; 07-25-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Autarky
Instructor

It was quite a while ago while I was working at a Car Magazine just out of university. I believe that only the 996.2 GT3 was sold in North America (I've attached an image of the test car).

The 996 GT3 is the closest thing to a race car I've ever driven on the street. The ride in downtown Toronto on rough pavement was incredibly hard. I mean the car felt like it would break kinda hard. As I pointed out the car reverberated with life. The flat six pounding back and fort like a paint shaker at Home Depot.

The responses to inputs are direct. Too much throttle in a low speed corner and the car will easily understeer. lift off under load and it will rotate. It will do exactly what you tell it to do but you need to be able to speak deliberately and smoothly to the car. It will kill you.

The sound is simply unbelievable and the speed is intoxicating. I know some much much better drivers than myself who swear by them because they are so much like a race car in terms of responsiveness.

the 997.2 GT3 is, well, a GT car. Smooth, stable, comfortable and available with all the mod cons. I wouldn't hesitate driving one across the continent. There's more "rubber" in the reflexes and joints.

I drove a 997.2 GT3 in Germany for a few hours and we cruised the autobahn at 280 km/h for 30 min. and sat at an indicated 312 km/h as long as we could. I've never drive a car that was as planted at that speed (except maybe the Veyron;-) and I certainly don't have the brass or the skill to try that in a 996 GT3.
Very interesting to hear from someone whose driven both first hand.
Thanks for your insight

Quick Reply: Is it Stupid to by GT3 If You Don't Plan on Tracking