Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pirelli PZero Trofeo

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 02:38 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Pirelli PZero Trofeo

Has anyone tried out the new Trofeo's yet?
Old 07-24-2010, 03:27 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

savyboy has.
he likes them.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:22 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

in 19?
Old 07-24-2010, 10:19 AM
daedton
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, these look like they'll be quick. Are the even more expensive the Pirelli Corsas?

07 RS
98 C2S
97 C4S
77 911S
Old 07-24-2010, 10:46 AM
daedton
Rennlist Member

Did a search, where can you buy these things now?

07 RS
98 C2S
97 C4S
77 911S
Old 07-24-2010, 11:11 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
in 19?
Of course, they are Porsche specific in many sizes. .2 RS front was still under development last I checked.

Originally Posted by daedton
Wow, these look like they'll be quick. Are the even more expensive the Pirelli Corsas?
Slightly less.

Originally Posted by skxf430
Has anyone tried out the new Trofeo's yet?
Yes. Gone through two sets on Spyder. Gooey and sticky when hot. Wears faster than Corsa System or MPSC. Critical to run them at low hot pressures ie 32 PSI hot, which for me using nitrogen is ~24-25psi cold Otherwise you lose grip and wear out the center.

My experience is that they are grippy and progressive unless you overdrive the car and get them too hot then they get greasy and go away until they cool. I also found them to let go progressively and had zero scary moments because of them.

In stock in CA warehouse. Your contact is Guy Gamba, Director of Motorsports, performance@bigo.com. Tell him Pete with the Boxster Spyder referred you.

Here are some pics. First- me trying to peel them off the rim as Team Yellow moves in for the pass. Then some examples with four track days on them, two with camera flash, one without.

I was eating up the fronts on this set because I had too much front bar and couldn't dial out the understeer (was at limits of F/R bar adjustments).
Attached Images     

Last edited by savyboy; 07-24-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Savvyboy,

thanks for the write up.
heat cycles any different b/w trofeo and corsas?
in the end, would you buy them over corsa systems?
corsa systems worth extra cash?

after some extensive deliberation, i just ponied up for another set of corsa systems despite the costs. been really happy with them.

TIA!
Old 07-24-2010, 11:59 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
Savvyboy,

thanks for the write up.
heat cycles any different b/w trofeo and corsas?
in the end, would you buy them over corsa systems?
corsa systems worth extra cash?

after some extensive deliberation, i just ponied up for another set of corsa systems despite the costs. been really happy with them.

TIA!
Corsa Systems are great streetable tires for GT3/RS. I am not sure how to answer heat cycle question? I get about 5 track days out of Trofeo, 6 from MPSC and 7 from Systems. Perhaps that gives an answer of sorts?

Systems are not available in Spyder sizing so I did not have the opportunity to try head to head on same car. But I did MPSC vs Trofeos and I would say the Trofeo is good for a few more seconds per lap at the expense of faster wear.

On my RS I definitely preferred the Systems vs MPSC. The System in my opinion is a great tire. Good wear, more tread depth than MPSC, doesn't get greasy easy, good in wet, progressive to let go. Downside as we all know is the System is freaking astronomically expensive.

My thought is the Trofeo is good for those of us driving to/from the track and are willing to sacrifice quick wear and ride quality for a few more secs per lap.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:30 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by savyboy
Of course, they are Porsche specific in many sizes. .2 RS front was still under development last I checked.
Thanks for the info its interesting to compare them with known track tyres to see how they perform since they are the first of the new generation of track tyres that pass the new "no aromatic oils law" that will come into effect soon.
So in a couple of years we wont be able to run the tyres we do now and will be stuck with these and the new michelins coming out. I am afraid that if they are like the N spec cups we all going to miss the regular Dots very soon.

John

Btw did they get the "N" rating or not yet ?
Old 07-24-2010, 02:15 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Thanks for the info its interesting to compare them with known track tyres to see how they perform since they are the first of the new generation of track tyres that pass the new "no aromatic oils law" that will come into effect soon.
So in a couple of years we wont be able to run the tyres we do now and will be stuck with these and the new michelins coming out. I am afraid that if they are like the N spec cups we all going to miss the regular Dots very soon.

John

Btw did they get the "N" rating or not yet ?
Yes- I will be curious to hear others feedback on these? I know some West Coast GT3 DE guys are on them but I am not in touch with them.

No N rating yet that I am aware of
Old 07-24-2010, 07:31 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by daedton
Did a search, where can you buy these things now?
check this place out

http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/bwttires.php
Old 07-24-2010, 07:38 PM
daedton
Rennlist Member

skxf430 thanks! looks like around $1600 for a set. that's great. i think i might give these a go.

07 RS
98 C2S
97 C4S
77 911S
Old 07-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks! yea, that was the question-- how many more/less HC's with trofeos vs systems. assuming your track days are DE's with 4 HC's each day, looks like the systems can give you about ~8 more HC's. i know not apples to apples with different cars, but just looking for some anecdotal stuff. i agree systems are great-- good in the rain, progressive, good tread, quiet, not too greasy, etc.

in the end, systems are about $600 more per set. so, i guess the question is whether the other intangibles, plus the ~8+ hc's, are worth the premium. i just ordered another set of systems-- guess i'm still just trying to rationalize!

Originally Posted by savyboy
Corsa Systems are great streetable tires for GT3/RS. I am not sure how to answer heat cycle question? I get about 5 track days out of Trofeo, 6 from MPSC and 7 from Systems. Perhaps that gives an answer of sorts?

Systems are not available in Spyder sizing so I did not have the opportunity to try head to head on same car. But I did MPSC vs Trofeos and I would say the Trofeo is good for a few more seconds per lap at the expense of faster wear.

On my RS I definitely preferred the Systems vs MPSC. The System in my opinion is a great tire. Good wear, more tread depth than MPSC, doesn't get greasy easy, good in wet, progressive to let go. Downside as we all know is the System is freaking astronomically expensive.

My thought is the Trofeo is good for those of us driving to/from the track and are willing to sacrifice quick wear and ride quality for a few more secs per lap.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:34 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Hummm, I use on my Carrera S as many that I track with that have GT3's Toyo RA1/R888 in
245-40-18 and 305-35-18 and these Pirelli Trofeo's do not come in this rear size. The price for the 18's Trofeo's in the 295 rear size are sort of in line with Toyo R888's.

The 19" in stock size price is way up there compared to R888. For a DE where you are looking for good grip but a tire that lasts long are these Trofeo's any better than a R888?
Old 07-25-2010, 01:43 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

So it seems that for now 996GT2 and GT3 owners with 315/30/18 are stuck with the toyos etc.
I dont like that I hope they ll expand the range.
Real cups stoped the 315, everybody soon will stop current productions and they ll start the new age track tyres but I am afraid they ll forget the 18" and focus on the 19.
Bummer

John

Quick Reply: Pirelli PZero Trofeo