Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2 RS in EVO, CAR

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Check it out in white, looks better than silver.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...GT2-RS/251525/

Last section from the review:

There is nothing like the GT2 RS and that’s an almost entirely good thing. Even so, unless you always dreamt of being a human cannonball, a GT3RS offers a purer driving experience, and the fact that you’ll have to part with around the price of a new standard 911 for the upgrade at first seems hard to justify.

On the other hand find another car that goes like this for this kind of money, and combines that with drive it any day, park it anywhere ease of ownership. In fact, don’t bother because it doesn’t exist. I expect the majority of the 500 lucky people who will get to own a GT2 RS will be Porsche completists, unable to bear the idea that someone other than them is enjoying Stuttgart’s ultimate road car, at least until the 918 comes out. And enjoy it they will for driving a GT2 RS is one of few experiences you know will lodge in your brain forever. It really is that good.

I laughed at the "park it anywhere ease of ownership" part. Yeah, if you live in Monaco then maybe its true.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
Check it out in white, looks better than silver.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...GT2-RS/251525/

Last section from the review:

There is nothing like the GT2 RS and that’s an almost entirely good thing. Even so, unless you always dreamt of being a human cannonball, a GT3RS offers a purer driving experience, and the fact that you’ll have to part with around the price of a new standard 911 for the upgrade at first seems hard to justify.

On the other hand find another car that goes like this for this kind of money, and combines that with drive it any day, park it anywhere ease of ownership. In fact, don’t bother because it doesn’t exist. I expect the majority of the 500 lucky people who will get to own a GT2 RS will be Porsche completists, unable to bear the idea that someone other than them is enjoying Stuttgart’s ultimate road car, at least until the 918 comes out. And enjoy it they will for driving a GT2 RS is one of few experiences you know will lodge in your brain forever. It really is that good.

I laughed at the "park it anywhere ease of ownership" part. Yeah, if you live in Monaco then maybe its true.
That's a nicely written review. I like the comparison to the 458 -- the GT2RS is lighter and delivers more torque at much lower rpm. And the McLaren F1 is within 0.5 sec to 100 mph. Amazing. Amazingly amazing.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I really like the look of the hood on the white car. I wonder what it will cost.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:44 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

The '2RS may seem overpriced relative to the rest of the Porsche lineup, but it's not when compared to its competition from Ferrari (faster than 599 GTO), Lambo, etc. Harris says the only faster car he's driven is the Veyron, though certainly Pagani Zonda, Koenigsegg and other hypercars (all of which cost several multiples of the '2 RS price) will beat it as well.

My point is, let's give Porsche credit where due. If you're in the market for a supercar, the '2 RS is actually a bargain.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jon70
I really like the look of the hood on the white car. I wonder what it will cost.
I certainly hope Porsche isn't contemplating "parting out" the GT2RS and making the hood and fenders optional.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by triode
The '2RS may seem overpriced relative to the rest of the Porsche lineup, but it's not when compared to its competition from Ferrari (faster than 599 GTO), Lambo, etc. Harris says the only faster car he's driven is the Veyron, though certainly Pagani Zonda, Koenigsegg and other hypercars (all of which cost several multiples of the '2 RS price) will beat it as well.

My point is, let's give Porsche credit where due. If you're in the market for a supercar, the '2 RS is actually a bargain.
Comparing the GT2RS with more expensive cars opens the door to comparing it with less expensive cars like the ZR1. Whatever quality the 911 possesses that makes it a cut above the Corvette would have to apply to separating the 911 from the Italia or Fiorano. Of course the pricing of a Murcielago or Zonda or Konig...thing pertains to marketing, not cost or value, so comparing any car to the Reventon or Zonda or McLaren F1 is to say that money is no object, which rather defeats the comparison.

I think the comparison is solely to the 2010 GT3RS and I don't know that extra power and torque of the 2011 GT2RS will balance the books.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
I was offered the first GT2 in LA for 50k over....I passed because I had a 997TT cab and a GT3RS and it seemed ridiculous to pay 255k for a GT2! The GT2RS is going to depreciate as fast if not faster than the GT2!!! The GT2's have always been overpriced and the GT2RS pricing is ridiculous.
Where was that Downtown or Beverly Hills?

I stop by Beverly Hills a lot because we are over there for my better-half's doctors. They seem to be pretty nice but they brown nose to hell and back and they don't seem to know what they are talking about. Downtown LA on the other hand seem to have sales people who know their product and lore better. At least that is what I have encountered. Your Mileage May Vary!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

I still think that Turbos aren't as rewarding to drive. In particular in the throttle control in corners. Having stated this.... This car does sound epic!!!

Quick Reply: GT2 RS in EVO, CAR