Increase Camber for GT3 RS MK2

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 03:09 AM
RS LOVER
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increase Camber for GT3 RS MK2

Hi Guys,
I am trying to turn the top hat on the front strut of my RS to increase camber. The problem is that the studs need to be removed and reinserted. I don't know how to remove the top hat studs without doing any damage to the stud or top hat. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

RS LOVER
Old 07-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

To rotate the front struts, just have the car off the wheels, remove the three nuts, lower the entire strut-wheel carrier assembly just a few mm below the tower -- without any disassembly -- then rotate to the only other position where the studs line up with the holes/slots in the strut tower and reinsert.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:48 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

You do not need to do that to increase camber on the MK II......I have -2.5 without rotation???This is according to my mechanic who did the set up.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:05 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

When I tried I ended up removing the whole strut tube/spring assembly to be sure not to damage anything. Then remove the camber plate. The 3 studs have to be pressed out and repressed into the 3 empty holes. When you reinstall it rotates the camber plate 180°. Then you will get -1.5° to -3°+ camber. Ride height, corner balance and alignment required. One day and 12 beer job.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
You do not need to do that to increase camber on the MK II......I have -2.5 without rotation???This is according to my mechanic who did the set up.
The max I could get on my car was about -2.3 symmetrically and I haven't rotated the tops, just the extent of the slot. I don't think the new RS needs that much on Sport Cups, but it will probably need more to satisfy Hoosiers, etc.

Originally Posted by DavidNR
When I tried I ended up removing the whole strut tube/spring assembly to be sure not to damage anything. Then remove the camber plate. The 3 studs have to be pressed out and repressed into the 3 empty holes. When you reinstall it rotates the camber plate 180°. Then you will get -1.5° to -3°+ camber. Ride height, corner balance and alignment required. One day and 12 beer job.
OK, I am thinking 996 then. My mistake.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Same here, -2.5 seems just right on Hoosiers, but maybe more on slicks?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:00 AM
RS LOVER
Intermediate

Thanks for all the comments guys. I managed to remove the top hat and take out the lug bolts and reinsert in the separate holes. Then replaced the top hat and have more camber.
I could not get anywhere near 2.5 degrees negative with the hats set up from the factory.

Regards

RS LOVER
Old 07-20-2010, 10:11 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

never did it myself, but I don't think they touched the top but I think we can get -3 camber with just adding chims on the bottom..

Quick Reply: Increase Camber for GT3 RS MK2