First DE - Track Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

I have been in the hunt for DE insurance here is what I have found out

Westfield does not insure in Florida

I have called Allstate, Progressive, Geico, Travelers and all will not offer track insurance

I got a quote from PCA website (usuing a $90k value for my car) at $430 for a two day event.....not bad

Called WSIB and asked for a "generic" price quote for my car, assuming $90K value. It was $2,800 for 5 events and $3,200 for 10 events. He asked if my car was an RS, I said no and asked why did it matter. I found this interesting. An RS with assumed value of $90K (I know this is low but it is for comparison) would be $3,900 for 5 events.

The WSIB guy told me the rates arehigher for an RS becuase RS models have a higher claim rate (more cars per hundred have claims). I found this interesting enough to post.

For now I will just use the PCA insurance, in the future if I get over 5 events or do non-PCA events I will switch to WSIB
Old 07-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
The WSIB guy told me the rates are higher for an RS becuase RS models have a higher claim rate (more cars per hundred have claims). I found this interesting enough to post.
I think (at least) one Rennlister has contributed an increment to the actuarial data for the RS. : )
Old 07-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Called WSIB and asked for a "generic" price quote for my car, assuming $90K value. It was $2,800 for 5 events and $3,200 for 10 events. He asked if my car was an RS, I said no and asked why did it matter. I found this interesting. An RS with assumed value of $90K (I know this is low but it is for comparison) would be $3,900 for 5 events.

The WSIB guy told me the rates arehigher for an RS becuase RS models have a higher claim rate (more cars per hundred have claims). I found this interesting enough to post.

For now I will just use the PCA insurance, in the future if I get over 5 events or do non-PCA events I will switch to WSIB
That explains the +$5,700 quote that I got from WSIB for up to 5 events (won't quote less events). I went with PCA.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

5 is the minimum
Old 07-28-2010, 02:07 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great thread. I was self-insured with my track car, and made it to my 26th DE event before running into a tire wall backwards at 85mph and bending the tub to a tune of $22K in damage. Insurance would have been a wash between the deductible and premium outlay, but I could have purchased a "better" car with the payout.

Despite this - I am still the contrarian. I believe in self-insuring and rolling with probability. (Besides, my 996GT3 is not worth $115K anymore! The write-off now would be $45K or so...)

Good luck!

-B
Old 07-28-2010, 03:21 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
Great thread. I was self-insured with my track car, and made it to my 26th DE event before running into a tire wall backwards at 85mph and bending the tub to a tune of $22K in damage. Insurance would have been a wash between the deductible and premium outlay, but I could have purchased a "better" car with the payout.

Despite this - I am still the contrarian. I believe in self-insuring and rolling with probability. (Besides, my 996GT3 is not worth $115K anymore! The write-off now would be $45K or so...)

Good luck!

-B
Do you mean "self insured" literally or figuratively?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Do you mean "self insured" literally or figuratively?
I'm sure he means figuratively. I've sort of always felt the same way about track insurance. With premiums and deductibles where they are, I think Blake is about right on that you'd roughly break even in two / three seasons if you track frequently. Plus, if you're like me open track days are my preference (which no insurance co will touch) and those events are where you are most likely to have an incident
Old 07-28-2010, 01:08 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I think (at least) one Rennlister has contributed an increment to the actuarial data for the RS. : )

Apparently I poisoned the RS well...

WSIB handled my claim professionally and with no problems. I will continue to use them for DE insurance. PCA insurance is fine for PCA events only. If you want coverage for a variety of events, WSIB is your choice.

Last edited by savyboy; 07-28-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:10 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy

Apparently I poisoned the RS well...

WSIB handled my claim with professionally and with no problems. I will continue to use them for DE insurance. PCA insurance is fine for PCA events only. If you want coverage for a variety of events, WSIB is your choice.
Though I am sorry the incident happened to you, (very sorry), it is good to hear that their coverage is decent when a claim comes in. I have WSIB coverage for my 10 GT3 and it is amazing how much track budget this sucks up every year. Also interesting that to run 5 events or 10 events is not really that much difference in price. You can see a 15% increase in premuims for a 50% increase in driving time, relatively speaking.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:01 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

My agent confirmed Westfield covers non-timed events on track today. I'm looking at moving all my cars and house to them for this alone. The benefit is pretty big to me.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Why i westfield not in Florida.........I would give them all my business too
Old 07-28-2010, 09:27 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
Though I am sorry the incident happened to you, (very sorry), it is good to hear that their coverage is decent when a claim comes in. I have WSIB coverage for my 10 GT3 and it is amazing how much track budget this sucks up every year. Also interesting that to run 5 events or 10 events is not really that much difference in price. You can see a 15% increase in premuims for a 50% increase in driving time, relatively speaking.
Those of us afflicted with the track-crack addiction do indeed see a quantity discount as we add the packs of five events. I will be looking at probably thirty total events between 3/10 and 3/11. Thankfully each add-on pack gets cheaper.

The more you track the more you save

Lol

PS- thanks for the kind comments Mike. I am a lemons into lemonade kind of guy and fully accept the risks of the lifestyle I choose. It is all good and the RS is as we speak in intensive care and will emerge with some interesting tweaks.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:26 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I am in the same boat, deciding which to use. For what it's worth, with Lockton, the max coverage is 100k but you still need to input at least 90% of the actual value of the car. The cost for that 100k of insurance will change with the value of the car. For example, someone with a 300k car will pay more for the same 100k coverage as someone with a 100k car. This actually could be tolerable way to do it if you were only doing a few events as long as they don't total your car but you have no control over whether they do that or not. Interesting.

I agree that the solution is either just do a couple of events or do a ton of them. I am rearranging my schedule so I can do the latter .
Old 07-28-2010, 11:23 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by savyboy
"track-crack addiction"

That's a good note to end the day on. Thanks for that!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:56 PM
Martin_D
Advanced

To the people that have Westfield - did you simply call your agent and ask them if they provide coverage? Trying to make the switch.

-Martin

Quick Reply: First DE - Track Insurance?