Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

First DE - Track Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:44 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

If you do your reasonable best with safety equipment (cage, hans, etc), aren't there many ways to total the car without the breathing through a straw part?
I've seen many cars wadded up; I run about 12 events a year and I would gestimate about 1 every other month hits something during the last 7 years.

Maybe not totaled, just very few of those, but I have not seen anyone get seriously hurt during a DE event, but I know it has happened.

I think seats, 6 point seat belts, roll bar, Hans and helmet are minimum investments..
Old 07-18-2010, 10:05 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Nizer:
All good, the advice that has been given. It was hinted to in a prior post, but just in case, PCA has the per event insurance that you can sign-up for on-line. If the event at LRP is a PCA event, then as a member of PCA you will get a 10% discount. as mentioned previouosly, you declare the value of your car, tell them a bit about you and anyone else that may drive the car at the event, they calculate risk factors for tracks that have higher known incidents and with a click, you can get a quote if you liek ti, then you can pay the premium and get the policy right on line. I beleive that your "exposure" is 10% of the declared value, assuming an incident. I would generally agree, in Green, you will be taught "the line" and your speeds are not THAT great, but it is all relative........if one of your Green trackmates has a brain cramp, caused a spin and comes shooting back across the track, it might not be you, but you can be involved....those are the risks, you may be talented/gifted, but you are subject to others and their skills........just my .02.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:03 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrccod
I have switched my insurance this year because of the crappy service of my broker. I switched to a Company called Westfield Insurance. Not only were they cheaper than the previous carrier, the car is covered on the track as long as it is not racing or a timed event.

Bill
Bill,
Are you sure Westfield covers driver's schools? If so, this would be great news for someone like me since they are an Ohio company.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:44 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

DE is not about the extra 2 sec...it is about having fun running at 7/10 of your skills....If you excercise judgement...avoid running the cars under wet conditions and with the idea that if you can not afford the loss then do not run the car....."I have spent several years parking my expensive cars and driving an inexpensive one untill I felt confident enough that I can bear the risk"......odds are you are more likely to have an incident on a public road than a PCA DE.....have fun...oh and by the way the greens are slower not safer than the reds that is why they are labeled green run groups.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm running the risk. I figure there is less than a 1% chance of crashing my car in a DE. It seems to me that a crash is most likely going to due to mechanical failure (yours or somebody else's). At $800 a day, I figure the money I'm saving on insurance pays for my next car if I total it, and I'm just prepaying for the next car without the hassle of getting the claim denied because of technicality after already having paid for it in premiums.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Arrccod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott40

My Insurance lady was more surprised than I was when I asked her if I was covered for DE's,( I told what they were and what happens there,) it took her a day or so to get back to me. She told me any track event where there is no timing, racing, or scoring that I'm covered. Orginally I was looking to see how much a writer would be to add onto the policy to cover me when she told me that.

Bill
Old 07-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Camber
Rennlist Member

Here's my two cents. Driven DE's for 6 years with no incidents at all. Went to my first event this spring and knew Chubb and State Farm wouldn't cover me, so debated whether to buy the PCA coverage. Ultimately decided to. Declared the value of the car at $62k. See where this is going. Raining in the first session, car hydroplanes - yep driver confidence error - glancing hit on the side wall in front corner followed by rear corner. No fluids lost, drivable, no drive train damage. Totalled. It doesn't have to be balled up to be expensive - just have to bend the tub enough to make it unreasonable to repair.

Mt. Hawley, the underwriter to PCA DE coverage couldn't have been better to deal with. Settled at declared value less deductible. Car replaced with a new-to-me 996 GT3, pretty just like the old one, except fewer miles, new CPO coverage, new tires, and new rotors/pads. Oh, and about a break even proposition.

I could have afforded to write off the old car too. Always knew incidents happen, but of course, not to me :-). Anyway, I found the $310 premium for the event to be a great bargain obviously, and keeps me in the game with full spousal support. Not sure that would have been the case if there had been no insurance.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Is there a link of where to get DE insurance from PCA?
Old 07-18-2010, 07:31 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Scott40

My Insurance lady was more surprised than I was when I asked her if I was covered for DE's,( I told what they were and what happens there,) it took her a day or so to get back to me. She told me any track event where there is no timing, racing, or scoring that I'm covered. Orginally I was looking to see how much a writer would be to add onto the policy to cover me when she told me that.

Bill
Who's your ins provider?

Phil
Old 07-18-2010, 07:33 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Who's your ins provider?

Phil
Oh yeah!! Westfield.

Phil
Old 07-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Camber
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
Is there a link of where to get DE insurance from PCA?
http://pcahpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Default.aspx
Old 07-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

I just loooked it up on PCA.....found teh link

$430 for a two day DE, that is not bad for coverage
Old 07-18-2010, 10:21 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Scott40

Bill
Thanks Bill,
I'm going to move my DE car to them. Nice to see they still provide coverage.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:33 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
DE is not about the extra 2 sec...it is about having fun running at 7/10 of your skills....If you excercise judgement...avoid running the cars under wet conditions and with the idea that if you can not afford the loss then do not run the car.....
7/10 is more than enough to spin your car into a wall when it encounters oil, anti-freeze, etc. I keep mine insured for that reason alone.. Yes I run over 7/10 when I'm by myself, but I've seen enough mishaps caused by anything but the driver; that makes me want to cover my ***.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:41 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been self insuring for the past six years and felt I could manage the risk by driving below the limit. Fast forward to my last DE at Mosport, where I spun missing a wall by 6ft, through no fault of my own, due to a failed coolant fitting. I can't afford to total my car so I won't go on track without insurance now. Get the insurance and enjoy the peace of mind.

Quick Reply: First DE - Track Insurance?