Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

10 GT3 Rear Brake Pad Replacent

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 03:15 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, 2010 takes a different front pad than prior 997 GT3 and rears were totally different startign with all 997 GT3 - 1 piece caliper, remove to replace pads. Surprisingly easy to do, actually. Just have spare bolts on hand BEFORE you do the job -
Old 07-19-2010, 07:20 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

OK. I think I've solved the mystery of the seemingly unmatched brake pads, i.e. Pagid P90FF fronts and Textar rears on my late July delivery 2010 GT3. TRAKCAR helped too. After talking to Craig at the Rennstore he opened my eyes on mismatched pads on the GT3, recommending not to do it. I thought I had screwed up, but after further review I am actually in better shape than stock, even though I am still stock. .......Huh??

Here is the deal. The dealership gave me a print out of the technical info on 10 GT3 brakes. Standard brakes are listed as either part #'s 997.352.941 or (942) .95. The 942's that I purchased are in fact the Pagid P90 FF pads. I now have a matched P90 FF set of PAGID f/r pads. Also listed on the tech bulletin is the 997.352.949.01 Textar pad, with the statement that "In addition to the current standard pad specified these pads were installed on the rear axle in model year 2010.

So I think what happened may have been a sourcing problem in the earlier build cars and that later cars probably have a matched set of P90 FF Pagids. It also looks like the GT3 and GT3 RS have the same stock P90FF brake pads as noted by TRAKCAR.

Sorry for the long post but this was driving me crazy. I feel confident now that I have a matched set of the more performance oriented pads as the Textars rears were rated as a "comfort" pad. I would also wager that many of the later build 2010 cars and 2011 cars have the matched Pagids. I guess there is "stock" and then there's "stock".
Old 07-20-2010, 07:58 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by KBS911
Took the car to the dealer today to have the rear pads replaced. Had a "moaning" noise that developed after a recent track event. My car has 8K miles, 3 AutoX and 1 DE, not much. I had taken off the front pads, piece of cake, and cleaned the rotors and scuffed the pads, but the noise was coming from the rear.
I had the same on my GT3, I carbonized the rear disks That was an expensive operation (new disks) after only 1.5 months of ownership
Old 07-20-2010, 09:13 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I had the same on my GT3, I carbonized the rear disks That was an expensive operation (new disks) after only 1.5 months of ownership
Ouch. Did you carbonize the rotors or the pads? Hope it was just the pads. I noticed the black/carbon effect on my pads. Rotors are fine.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:40 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

It appears that with electronics on, the HIGH rear factory bias + fairly weak OEM pads equals tremendous rear pad/rotor/caliper heating. Well, not 'appears' - fact.

I am seeing DOUBLE the wear rate on back vs. front !!!
Old 07-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's the thing. I run with everything off. The rears were glazed, plenty of pad left, and I think I can scuff them up and use them again. The noise started after a DE at PBIR. Probably should have driven outside the track area a bit for a better cool down.

The new pads made a huge difference, although they have that squeal thing going on at low speed/pressure. Thats normal though. I feel much better now that the "moaning" sound is gone. Just need to get front pads.

TRAKCAR, are RS pads a direct replacement for the standard GT3 and are they upgraded from the standard 3 pads?
To clean the rotor surface, or de-glaze the pad surface, use a non-aluminum-oxide abrasive like the 3M brake rotor discs ("Garnet" paper.) A machine shop might have the equipment to "Blanchard" grind a disc that's still in very good condition but has pad material deposits that cannot be removed with Garnet paper. Note that this is not "resurfacing" the rotor (which would involve precision machining of the rotor to remove surface irregularities ... this is something that generally is just is not done today ... it's a matter of liability and safety as well as cost compared to a new rotor.) Also, if you want to learn about brakes, this information from Stop Tech is the most complete and accurate that I've found in the last decade or so.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Old 07-20-2010, 03:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

FWIW, I think that is mostly TC and SC..

In the MKI GT3 with everything off, I had equal wear front to rear.
With everything off, it appears to be the same on the MKII, but I only have 4 days on the pads, I just flipped the fronts and will report in after the next 3-4 track days (The weekend after Aug 8th.)
Old 07-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
FWIW, I think that is mostly TC and SC..

In the MKI GT3 with everything off, I had equal wear front to rear.
With everything off, it appears to be the same on the MKII, but I only have 4 days on the pads, I just flipped the fronts and will report in after the next 3-4 track days (The weekend after Aug 8th.)
The RS seems to have balanced out the front-rear wear. Perhaps it's more front grip or better rear cooling. The leading edge wear on the front pads brings on that "wedge" wear profile, but I wouldn't go below about 50% usage (when wear starts to accelerate ... bad pun ...)

Does anyone happen to know the stock thickness of the pad material on the stock pads and the Greens? Are the PCCB Greens different?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Ouch. Did you carbonize the rotors or the pads? Hope it was just the pads. I noticed the black/carbon effect on my pads. Rotors are fine.
Rotors :/

First we thought it were the fronts, so we replaced those, alas, problem was on the rears. 4 new rotors. $$$
Old 07-20-2010, 09:27 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
It appears that with electronics on, the HIGH rear factory bias + fairly weak OEM pads equals tremendous rear pad/rotor/caliper heating. Well, not 'appears' - fact.

Wow.

I drive with TC/ESP on all the time, do mainly Nordschleife with the car and had equal wear back/front on the brake pads. Maybe your esp does overtime?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:50 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

The leading edge wear on the front pads brings on that "wedge" wear profile, but I wouldn't go below about 50% usage (when wear starts to accelerate ... bad pun ...)

Does anyone happen to know the stock thickness of the pad material on the stock pads and the Greens? Are the PCCB Greens different?
After 8-10 days they were 35-50%. I will report back if it is still the same.

The OEM ones are 15mm ncluding thebacking plate (5mm)
FWIW, I just measured including the backing plate the Pagid R29 are 19mm. I throw them out at between 10-14mm including backing plate (5 mm)

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 07-21-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:25 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
To clean the rotor surface, or de-glaze the pad surface, use a non-aluminum-oxide abrasive like the 3M brake rotor discs ("Garnet" paper.) A machine shop might have the equipment to "Blanchard" grind a disc that's still in very good condition but has pad material deposits that cannot be removed with Garnet paper. Note that this is not "resurfacing" the rotor (which would involve precision machining of the rotor to remove surface irregularities ... this is something that generally is just is not done today ... it's a matter of liability and safety as well as cost compared to a new rotor.) Also, if you want to learn about brakes, this information from Stop Tech is the most complete and accurate that I've found in the last decade or so.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Carrera GT,
Good info and a great link. I will bed my brakes in this weekend.

To all: Great info and feedback. Thanks, I've learned a lot.

Since stopping is as important as going, good brakes and brake maintenance are paramount. Interesting to learn about the more subtle characteristics and nuances of the GT3 brakes.

Victory favors the prepared!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:47 PM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I am coming up on having to do rear pads and I wonder how I will be able to get the caliper off with the rotor worn down and having an outer lip. Pads will not be able to clear that unless I somehow manage to push in the pistons..

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Regards,
CF
Old 01-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I use this:
Lisle 29100 Quick Quad Pad Spreader : Amazon.com : Automotive Lisle 29100 Quick Quad Pad Spreader : Amazon.com : Automotive

Girodisc makes a nicer one. The above works fine for me. you may need to keep pads on as you spread them vs. pushing on just pistons once the caliper is off.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:23 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I use this:
http://www.girodisc.com/Caliper-pist...er_p_5970.html

Quick Reply: 10 GT3 Rear Brake Pad Replacent