Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Race Keeper Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 04:31 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i have to agree with mdrums on the video. when exporting it sure doesn't look like hd. my panasonic hd camera video is much more crisp. maybe its a setting i need to change? my dual screen hd license is activated.

Bill, I emailed you about my SD card crapping out on me with 2 full days of video and telemetry. any way i can recover the video and data. at least the video. i was recording in dual screen hd and the recovered video is both feeds in one screen. i emailed you a 20mb sample about a week ago and no word back from you yet. thanks.

btw, other than the little issue with video, the system has been working great between two cars of mine.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:48 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
i have to agree with mdrums on the video. when exporting it sure doesn't look like hd. my panasonic hd camera video is much more crisp.
Thank you...I've received crap about my statement....but it's true Race Keeper is NOT HD...when I view it...it's better than 480P it seems but not 720 or 1080P for sure.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:27 AM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carrering
i have to agree with mdrums on the video. when exporting it sure doesn't look like hd. my panasonic hd camera video is much more crisp. maybe its a setting i need to change? my dual screen hd license is activated.

Bill, I emailed you about my SD card crapping out on me with 2 full days of video and telemetry. any way i can recover the video and data. at least the video. i was recording in dual screen hd and the recovered video is both feeds in one screen. i emailed you a 20mb sample about a week ago and no word back from you yet. thanks.

btw, other than the little issue with video, the system has been working great between two cars of mine.
Sorry about the delay. I did get a chance to look at it, and will review it again today. PM on it's way.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 AM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdrums
Thank you...I've received crap about my statement....but it's true Race Keeper is NOT HD...when I view it...it's better than 480P it seems but not 720 or 1080P for sure.
There are several options for video output. Please double check to see that you selected the HD export and not one of the standard video export modes.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:06 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by billstevens61
There are several options for video output. Please double check to see that you selected the HD export and not one of the standard video export modes.
Yep I have HD export clicked. It just doesn't look HD to me compared to my Go Pro HD Hero.

I'm headed out to my garage now to try and figure out iDash again....re entered all the correct Wi-Fi numbers.

Also I have RK to power on when I turn my car on since it is pluged into a switch cig lighter and to start recording when I hit 40mph. Also to stop recording when I hit 3mph for 30 seconds.

Would you suggest different settings?
Old 10-19-2011, 10:43 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yep I have HD export clicked. It just doesn't look HD to me compared to my Go Pro HD Hero.

I'm headed out to my garage now to try and figure out iDash again....re entered all the correct Wi-Fi numbers.

Also I have RK to power on when I turn my car on since it is pluged into a switch cig lighter and to start recording when I hit 40mph. Also to stop recording when I hit 3mph for 30 seconds.

Would you suggest different settings?
Its not true HD. It up converted to look better than SD. Is it as good as true HD, not really. However it won't make a difference in viewing quality when watching on a laptop or youtube. Unless you are replaying your vidoes on a big screen, you won't notice the diff.

Last edited by deputydog95; 10-20-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:04 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Its not true HD. It up converted to look better than SD. Is it as good as SD, not really. However it won't make a difference in viewing quality when watching on a laptop or youtube. Unless you are replaying your vidoes on a big screen, you won't notice the diff.
I can tell the difference on my 22" HD computer screen for sure...I tried everything making sure I have the correct HD box clicked and shooting video in the correct format and Race Keeper is NOT HD.

Race Keeper needs to correct this on their website as they are claiming they are selling true HD video and it's not...at least with HD Export I can't get it to look nearly as good as my Go Pro HD video.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:40 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I think mine looks really good. You can compare anything to anything. Go pro may have a better camera solution. However, it offers no data integration, or the ability to play more than one video on screen at the same time. RK's video is upconverted from SD to HD. If I was making a movie to be released in theaters about my DE exploits, I would be more concerned. However, I think it looks great. Or at the very minimum, good enough for what I'm trying to accomplish. These are not HD cameras in the RK. Its an upconverted SD video process, just like a lot of cable boxes do. So it's not going to look as good as your true HD go pro camera setup. For reviewing sessions and showing my friends, I'm more plan pleased. Let's face it, most of this stuff is going to be uploaded to youtube and compressed anyway. You could always return it if you're not happy and get a TM and use yoru Go Pro. The guys at RK seem pretty cool and quick to help. I had one on the cell phone after hours (I worked late) walking me through the setup on mine. Never got that from Traqmate and I challenge you to find another brand that would do that. There are going to be limitations and trade offs with every system. The "perfect" one isn't out yet. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the RK, but so far I'm happy with both the audio and video Then again my expectations are low coming from a regular res chase cam setup, but since I'm not looking to put this on a 60" monitor, it's fine for me. All I want is something clear enough to show people who are faster than me (which is about everyone in the Sebring Posse) so I can find room for improvement

I personally love the idea of one box, with data and video integrated. Its super easy to use. I haven't messed with the GPS on and off features yet. So far I've been manually switching it on and off and it works great. I have not mastered the post production process yet either, but that's due to lack of time. I'm sure after my next event, if it doesn't get rained out, I'll get ample practice to perfect it
Old 10-20-2011, 03:13 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that the cameras only have 550 lines of resolution so I know that making an almost full-screen image in HD will suck. I've been playing with the window sizes a bit to find a compromise that works for me and I'm fairly happy with this layout:

(youtube will mess with the quality a bit so the original version on my computer is better)

Cheers,
Old 10-20-2011, 03:19 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Guys I understand that for our purposes that 550 lines or upconverted SD will work just fine...BUT..what ticks me off is that Race Keeper is advertising HD video and it's NOT true HD...I can't stand FALSE ADVERTISMENT....in fact it's illegal!
Old 10-21-2011, 08:05 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AllanJ
I noticed that the cameras only have 550 lines of resolution so I know that making an almost full-screen image in HD will suck. I've been playing with the window sizes a bit to find a compromise that works for me and I'm fairly happy with this layout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgefN4wgG8M

(youtube will mess with the quality a bit so the original version on my computer is better)

Cheers,
How did you adjust your window sizes? Mine are always 50/50. Still trying to figure out the software.

Quick Reply: Race Keeper Group Buy