Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Race Keeper Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:18 PM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Race-Keeper has added a few new features that you may be interested in. The first is the ability to overlay the track map over a Google Map image of the track. The accelerometers have been changed to include seletable/displayable ranges (1g - 2g). They have also added a feature to create speedometer and tach gauges from images of your actual gauges.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:17 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by billstevens61
Mic issues - make sure that you order the mic muffler (otherwise known as the dead kitten), or if the noise is still an issue, try various mounting locations. I had a SCCA E Prod open car customer with this problem and he solved it with the muffler and location).
I'll try the dead kitten next.
TPS (Throttle Position?) from OBD2 can vary according to the particular ECU. More accurate TPS can be obtained by using the Race-Keeper Throttle Position Sensor.
Curious if you have any pics of your TPS hardware installed in a Porsche 911?

Race-Keeper has added a few new features that you may be interested in. The first is the ability to overlay the track map over a Google Map image of the track. The accelerometers have been changed to include seletable/displayable ranges (1g - 2g). They have also added a feature to create speedometer and tach gauges from images of your actual gauges.
Question about exporting in HD (yes, I have the license and it is activated): My gauges and accelerometer are not the same ones I select in the config gauge manager screen. No matter what gauge, accel and throttle graphics I choose, when exporting in Dual Stream HD, it only uses the basic gauges, which also means I can't see the new 2g accelerometer in HD videos. I can only see the new gauges in low res output.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:33 AM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

1) mic muffler - give it a try. It's all I've ever used (SCCA Improved Touring, no insulation or interior fabric)
2) no, I don't have any pics for a 911, but I'll see if home office has any.
3) I will try a export tomorrow and verify your results.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:42 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Hey Bill,

Another question for you: for the speedometer graphics, there are a whole bunch in the "gauges" folder like AMG, Corvette, BMW, Audi, etc that I can't select in Comparo. All I see for the speedo menu settings is:

Black mph 140/180
White mph 140/180
Semi-trans white mph 140/180
Semi-trans black mph 140/180
Trans mph 140/180
(and kph variants of the above)

Ferrari
Porsche Carrera
Dodge SRT

...that's it. The older 911GT3 RS isn't available in the menu, yet the graphic is still in the folder.

On another note, when you go to "export video", what screen configurations to you see with your drop down menu? I see:

Export stream 1
Export stream 2
Export 2 inside 1 (picture in picture)
Export 1 inside 2 (picture in picture)
Export stream 1 and 2 side by side
Export dual stream in HD

The Comparo release notes led me to believe there were more configurations available now.

These issues make me think there is some preferences file hiding somewhere that is messed up or not properly downloaded from the RK main site.

Thanks for any assistance.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:02 PM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Allan: Here is what I have found out so far.

1)You are right about only the standard gauges being available with the HD export. I will ask Angus why.

2) The issue with the gauges available on the menu may be an issue with having multiple versions of Comparo installed on your computer. I have multiple versions on my computer and I ran a test. Each version has a different set of gauges. I combined the gauges from versions 00.03 and 01.00. The 01.00 gauges were not available in gauge configuration for 00.03, and the 00.03 gauges were not available when I have 01.00 running. I will find out why they are not adding gauges but replacing them.

3) The selections available for video export are correct. The new configurations of screens are available on the configuration menu under 'Configure Race-Keeper Hardware. Check out new two, three and four cameras in single and dual streams.

I'll get back with you when I get some answers from Angus.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:43 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Allan: Here is what I have found out so far.

1)You are right about only the standard gauges being available with the HD export. I will ask Angus why.
I'm glad you have the problem too. Well, kinda glad.

2) The issue with the gauges available on the menu may be an issue with having multiple versions of Comparo installed on your computer. I have multiple versions on my computer and I ran a test. Each version has a different set of gauges. I combined the gauges from versions 00.03 and 01.00. The 01.00 gauges were not available in gauge configuration for 00.03, and the 00.03 gauges were not available when I have 01.00 running. I will find out why they are not adding gauges but replacing them.
Thanks.

3) The selections available for video export are correct. The new configurations of screens are available on the configuration menu under 'Configure Race-Keeper Hardware. Check out new two, three and four cameras in single and dual streams.
I will check that out. Thanks.

I'll get back with you when I get some answers from Angus.
I'll be here! Thanks Bill.

Cheers,
Old 09-17-2011, 02:51 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Hey Bill,

Found another thing: it looks like the speedometer graphics use the OBD-II speed, not GPS speed. This can be way off like in my case where I'm using 315 rear tires instead of oem 295. GPS speed at one point is 115.5 mph and OBD-II speed is 108.6 mph.

The OBD-II speed is also used in Comparo in the "Info" view screen where it shows:

Lap....Lap Time.....Max MPH

I'm doing some research into gearing options for my car so I'm noticing some of these little things right now.

Is it possible to specify GPS speed or OBD-II speed for these things?

Cheers,
Old 09-17-2011, 03:13 PM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Allan: I just checked a session that I recorded that had OBDII data, and I think that you are right. I know that you can display both GPS and OBDII speed graphs. I will see about having gauge and max speed displayed from GPS data.

Thanks. No response on your other questions, though.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:10 AM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Allan: You can change the source for speed data for the accelerometer by right clicking on the gauge - choice of GPS or OBDII. Changing the data source for the 'Max MPH' display will be included in the next release.

No word yet on your other questions.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:40 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Allan: You can change the source for speed data for the accelerometer by right clicking on the gauge - choice of GPS or OBDII. Changing the data source for the 'Max MPH' display will be included in the next release.

No word yet on your other questions.
Thanks Bill. I tried it and it works while in Comparo, but when I exported the video it reverted back to OBD-II (ignoring the GPS setting). Can you give it a shot and see what you get?

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2011, 09:11 AM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Thanks Bill. I tried it and it works while in Comparo, but when I exported the video it reverted back to OBD-II (ignoring the GPS setting). Can you give it a shot and see what you get?

Thanks!
Will do. Soon as we get back from church, 'bout 3 EST.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:16 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Will do. Soon as we get back from church, 'bout 3 EST.
Thanks Bill, but please spend time with your family. This can wait until the truly important stuff is done.

Another question for you revolving around OBD-II.

It seems like the time sensitive OBD-II data I'm interested in (throttle position and rpm) seem to lag a bit. If you look at the throttle position (via OBD-II), it ramps from 0 to 100% in about 1 second. Same going from 100 to 0 (may vary from car to car).

I've also noticed that some throttle blips when heel & toeing don't show up on the data (or two blips close together become one), yet you can hear them on the audio.

What I'm curious about is would the resolution and timing of these two bits of data be improved if they were the only ones being polled via OBD-II? Right now on my system, 7 items are being polled via OBD-II. I'd love a config screen to enable what I'd like if it would benefit me with more accurate data. Right now I just don't know if the limitations I'm seeing are due to the OBD-II hardware and car combination or if a slight software tweak can make things better for me and my driving coach.

Thanks,
Old 09-19-2011, 01:26 AM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Thanks!
OK, I turned on GPS mph in both Comparo and video export, exported a segment, and when it played pack it appeared to be OBDII Data. I will ask about this.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:37 AM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Thanks Bill, but please spend time with your family. This can wait until the truly important stuff is done.

Another question for you revolving around OBD-II.

It seems like the time sensitive OBD-II data I'm interested in (throttle position and rpm) seem to lag a bit. If you look at the throttle position (via OBD-II), it ramps from 0 to 100% in about 1 second. Same going from 100 to 0 (may vary from car to car).

I've also noticed that some throttle blips when heel & toeing don't show up on the data (or two blips close together become one), yet you can hear them on the audio.

What I'm curious about is would the resolution and timing of these two bits of data be improved if they were the only ones being polled via OBD-II? Right now on my system, 7 items are being polled via OBD-II. I'd love a config screen to enable what I'd like if it would benefit me with more accurate data. Right now I just don't know if the limitations I'm seeing are due to the OBD-II hardware and car combination or if a slight software tweak can make things better for me and my driving coach.

Thanks,
I have submitted your questions to Race-Keeper. If I were to venture an answer, I would say that what you are seeing is a function of the sampling/transmission rate of the ECU, as Race-Keeper samples data at 30 per second.

Talk to you tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:56 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

I have submitted your questions to Race-Keeper. If I were to venture an answer, I would say that what you are seeing is a function of the sampling/transmission rate of the ECU, as Race-Keeper samples data at 30 per second.

Talk to you tomorrow.
Thanks Bill.

I understand the 30Hz sampling rate, but I don't think OBD-II can actually send those 7 items at a full 30Hz. I think it's 9600 baud which roughly translates to a maximum of 40 bytes of info 30 times per second. I don't know the communication protocol to request some info and then to receive it, but it sure seems like it could be beyond the specs of OBD-II to request everything at 30Hz. If only throttle position (TPS) and rpm were requested, then maybe this could work at 30Hz?

(I'm one of those computer programmer guys so their response can be as technical as they'd like)

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Race Keeper Group Buy