Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

gt 3 muffler bypass systems

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:35 PM
JC2GT3
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I put SW bypass on my 997 GT3 after reading reviews from the regular posters here and on 6speed. Works great, sounds great and the SW guys were extremely helpful.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:33 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
The tips are where it is at!
That is what she said

Originally Posted by 4porsh
Hi Mooty,

Is he making a race exhaust for you? I called a few weeks ago and it was my understanding that there is not a race exhaust from them for our 6GT3s.

I have found another option for a custom race exhaust for the 6GT3s that weigh half of stock give 18hp and 10 torque with out touching ecu. Dyno tested with graph. Need a few more people to go in on the exhaust to get the cost down. You know anyone?
My plan is to set up car for race exhaust, then just put stock exhaust on for sound limit tracks and smog.

Let me know,

Joe
Mooty -- I think Joe is talking about my guy in Seattle... I can vouch for him

this is what he built for me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOVcI7XkAyo

It was since quieted down a bit and ultimately a version of this (like the pic I sent you) will be on my RS

Please note, he is no longer with Advanced Street Performance... he was bought out and is now on his own.

Also RL'er 007DT now owns the car and can act as another reference check on the exhaust and the builder.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:41 PM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 189 Posts

I am in for a group buy. Good reviews, this is the real deal.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:58 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
I couldn't find the pipe diameters for the Sharky. I know the RSS has 3" and 2" piping. Is the Sharky the same or slightly smaller in diameter?

My concerns are if the RSS suffers any low end torque loss and/or has any resonating compared to the Sharky.
I don't have numbers to back it up, but I didn't have any noticable reduction in low end torque when I switched from Sharky to RSS. If anything, I would say there is a bit more grunt with this system (but that is only subject to my butt).

In terms of resonance in the car. I have installed a switch to leave the exhaust open or closed as I choose. There is only a bit of resonance when the system is open and I am cruising right at 3000 rpm. 2800 no resonance, 3200 no resonance, full throttle - complete bliss!!! Note that when the exhaust is closed, you will have no resonance whatsoever.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:41 PM
wilson234
Instructor

For all the by pass owners, is there any damage from not counteracting the increase in flow with fuel modifications? From my mc background you install an exhaust with meaningful performance improvements, you need to balance with more fuel. Otherwise, you will not benefit from the performance upgrade, have lean running conditions and overall driveability issues. Is the ECU on GT3/RS advanced enought to accomodate? I know installs like SW and RSS are also doing ECU modifications, but I'm also one to shy aware from this type of modification, both from a warranty perspective (bypass can be removed quickly for any service work) and potential smog (CA) problem.

Anyone can expand?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:17 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:24 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by inverterman
I am in for a group buy. Good reviews, this is the real deal.
Just need a few more people signed on so the cost will be "cheaper" The exhaust guy makes these costume exhaust for 6GT3 and 7GT3s. With dyno pulls and papers to prove gains no losses.
I have talk with two 996GT3 and 997GT3RS owners that are repeat customers of this exhaust builder and have nothing but great things to say.
If anyone wants in on this please PM me.

Joe
Old 07-07-2010, 12:22 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Here is one for you at 50%
https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...pass-pipe.html
Old 07-07-2010, 01:25 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wilson234
For all the by pass owners, is there any damage from not counteracting the increase in flow with fuel modifications? From my mc background you install an exhaust with meaningful performance improvements, you need to balance with more fuel. Otherwise, you will not benefit from the performance upgrade, have lean running conditions and overall driveability issues. Is the ECU on GT3/RS advanced enought to accomodate? I know installs like SW and RSS are also doing ECU modifications, but I'm also one to shy aware from this type of modification, both from a warranty perspective (bypass can be removed quickly for any service work) and potential smog (CA) problem.

Anyone can expand?
Someone with more of an engineering background is probably better suited to answer this question, but I'll give my pennies. I don't think the increase in airflow from removing the center muffler is great enough to drammatically increase the air/fuel ratio. There are no modifications on these kits to the air intake which is usually where you run into air/fuel issues. I don't feel the car is running lean, but that would require some analysis. There is certainly no censors going off.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:40 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wilson234

Anyone can expand?
I am not a tech either but will give my 2 cents. I also have an extensive mc background dating back to Mikuni flatslides and dialing in the fuel mixture when making changes to the exhaust extraction.

Anyway, the bypass doesn't add power -very, very little if any anyway- so I don't believe there is any increase in air flow. The oem center section was added for dB levels from my understanding. Even if more fuel was needed I believe that the ECU and fuel injection would manage that. I don't know if it's true but i have heard that disconnecting the battery does help the ECU adapt to changes; not that that would be needed in the case of a center bypass.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:46 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by brim
Someone with more of an engineering background is probably better suited to answer this question, but I'll give my pennies. I don't think the increase in airflow from removing the center muffler is great enough to drammatically increase the air/fuel ratio. There are no modifications on these kits to the air intake which is usually where you run into air/fuel issues. I don't feel the car is running lean, but that would require some analysis. There is certainly no censors going off.
Well also from MCs, the colour of the plugs should be an indication of mixture.

- White-ish, grey = lean, be carefull $$$
- Chocolate brown = perfect
- Black and sooty = too rich

But the ECU should be able to handle the small change involved here.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:34 PM
riverflyer
Instructor

Went with the sharkwerks. Alex is always so kind and giving with advice and info and I know he puts the same energy into quality products.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:42 AM
CorrosionInhibitor
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Hi Guys,

Just want to say first of all the SW muffler Bypass is a great quality product.

I`ve heard this on a 997 GT3 over here in the UK.

BUT what I`d like to say is...

I didnt choose the SW muffler bypass, I went the other route and purchased a EuroPipe Sports Exhaust for my 997 GT3RS.1.

Not only is it built to a standard that only Europipe and a few others including SW know how, the sound is just intoxicating.

I can honestly say everyone thats heard it comments on the sound, either at tick over, low revs when pulling away or on full chat when driving by. ALL GOOD BY THE WAY !

At a recent meet/track day in the UK a guy with a SW bypass and myself did some brivebys. Everyone that was looking/listening on was so positive on the Europipe and there comments we all in favour of the system as apposed to the SW.

Bottom line is everyones different.

The EP system is louder in all accounts than the SW bypass, but in the same token there is NO DRONE in cabin what so ever.

Also the help, support and advice from stef at Europipe is second to none, always on had to help, what ever the time.

This post was just to account that there is`nt just one favourable exhaust choice for the 997 GT3/RS.

Last edited by CorrosionInhibitor; 07-10-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:07 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 30121980
Hi Guys,

Just want to say first of all the SW muffler Bypass is a great quality product.

I`ve heard this on a 997 GT3 over here in the UK.

BUT what I`d like to say is...

I didnt choose the SW muffler bypass, I went the other route and purchased a EuroPipe Sports Exhaust for my 997 GT3RS.1.

Not only is it built to a standard that only Europipe and a few others including SW know how, the sound is just intoxicating.

I can honestly say everyone thats heard it comments on the sound, either at tick over, low revs when pulling away or on full chat when driving by. ALL GOOD BY THE WAY !

At a recent meet/track day in the UK a guy with a SW bypass and myself did some brivebys. Everyone that was looking/listening on was so positive on the Europipe and there comments we all in favour of the system as apposed to the SW.

Bottom line is everyones different.

The EP system is louder in all accounts than the SW bypass, but in the same token there is NO DRONE in cabin what so ever.

Also the help, support and advice from stef at Europipe is second to none, always on had to help, what ever the time.

This post was just to account that there is`nt just one favourable exhaust choice for the 997 GT3/RS.

I've been emailing Stef and getting more info on that exact system for my .2 gt3. From what I've learned from Stef and your feelings, I'm very excited about getting a Europipe Sport Exhaust too.

Do you run the straight pipe ends or the oem tips? Is the weight savings roughly < 30 lbs with either setup? (I would think that with the tips the EP system would be 3-4 lbs heavier than the their straight pipe end option; so maybe < 26 lbs than stock.)
Old 07-10-2010, 05:00 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If you guys can give me a couple of weeks, we are going to work on configuring a cup system to the RS and eliminate the two side mufflers. Should be a less expensive solution and Autometrics will offer them. I'm looking for a min of 35 lbs weight reduction and with no power loss (hopefully a tiny gain). They will dyno both ways the same day as well. I will let you know how it turns out. If it is good, Autometrics will offer a kit which will be very cost effective and hopefully achieve the weight reduction, better sound and at least maintain power. I love the sharky bypass, but eliminating just the center muffler doesn't offer enough weight reduction for the cost. (just my opinion) Also, the more aggressive track exhaust is too loud and eliminates all mufflers. (which I really want but won't pass sound and probably too loud on the street) I also like it because we are using almost all OEM Porsche parts. I'll keep you guys posted if you are interested.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com

Quick Reply: gt 3 muffler bypass systems