Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

gt 3 muffler bypass systems

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:01 PM
riverflyer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gt 3 muffler bypass systems

Hi, I see Sharkwerks and RSS offer a rear muffler bypass system. Anyone has experience with both and a preference?
They seem to be similar material, with tips welded on the RSS and bolted on the Shark system so you could change them if you wanted a new look. The RSS does have a crossover so was wondering if that makes a tangible difference in the sound?

thanks
Old 07-05-2010, 08:58 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not have experience with both only with swbp and it is as advertised

the rss one looks good too as does the GMG one

I would have taken either but got a fair deal on the sw one used.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:05 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

FVD has better pricing on this part, strange, but true

You may check out www.fvd.us (no affiliation, etc.)
Old 07-05-2010, 10:29 PM
mepps
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just put on a sharkwerks track system...looks great, very loud. nice quality. tips not replaceable.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,820 Likes on 2,385 Posts

my money goes to sharkey, whether it's center muff bypass or track system...
now alex, get m 6 version done...
Old 07-05-2010, 11:26 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Sharkwerks bi-pass with their fat tip combo. Sounds perfect with excelent fit n finish. The tips are where it is at!

If you do not have DB issues at tracks in your area, then go for Sharkwerks track exhaust.

All the bi passes available do the same thing and all sound great, however the Sharkwerks got the Tips....

did i mention the tips??
Old 07-06-2010, 12:37 AM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
my money goes to sharkey, whether it's center muff bypass or track system...
now alex, get m 6 version done...
Hi Mooty,

Is he making a race exhaust for you? I called a few weeks ago and it was my understanding that there is not a race exhaust from them for our 6GT3s.

I have found another option for a custom race exhaust for the 6GT3s that weigh half of stock give 18hp and 10 torque with out touching ecu. Dyno tested with graph. Need a few more people to go in on the exhaust to get the cost down. You know anyone?
My plan is to set up car for race exhaust, then just put stock exhaust on for sound limit tracks and smog.

Let me know,

Joe
Old 07-06-2010, 12:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,820 Likes on 2,385 Posts

Is he making a race exhaust for you? I called a few weeks ago and it was my understanding that there is not a race exhaust from them for our 6GT3s.
===> he's not. but i will bug him to death until he does.

I have found another option for a custom race exhaust for the 6GT3s that weigh half of stock give 18hp and 10 torque with out touching ecu. Dyno tested with graph. Need a few more people to go in on the exhaust to get the cost down. You know anyone?
My plan is to set up car for race exhaust, then just put stock exhaust on for sound limit tracks and smog.
===> it should drop more than 1/2 the wt of stock. dont you just need two little resonators and then just pipes from header to tip? i dont care about sound, tq or hp. i just want to lose 80 lbs. and CHEAP. otherwise i would have just bought the cup system.

i dont touch ECU even if it will give 100 more hp. no ecu period.
only pipings.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:05 AM
riverflyer
Instructor

thanks everyone. My bet was on Sharkwerks too but wanted to ask "those who have gone before"!
Old 07-06-2010, 01:51 AM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

===> it should drop more than 1/2 the wt of stock. dont you just need two little resonators and then just pipes from header to tip? i dont care about sound, tq or hp. i just want to lose 80 lbs. and CHEAP. otherwise i would have just bought the cup system.

i dont touch ECU even if it will give 100 more hp. no ecu period.
only pipings.

The last full exhaust headers back to tips center exit for 6GT3 weighed 30 pounds. Little more weight for piping to do side exit like on our stock pipes.

That's what I am talking about, no touching the ecu. My point about the numbers is that we are not loosing TQ (which us track people like) just major weight of the back. Is 5K cheap for custom 321 stainless full exhaust?

Joe
Old 07-06-2010, 01:52 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by riverflyer
thanks everyone. My bet was on Sharkwerks too but wanted to ask "those who have gone before"!
I have the Sharkwerks bypass on a 997 GT3 and a 2009 C4S Cabrio. Both are exactly as advertised -- they sound like a 911, not a Boxster ... and if the exhaust didn't sound "right" I think in a Cabrio, it would be just intolerable. They're easy to install for the DIY grease monkey and the materials and build quality is something I'm happy to bolt onto a Porsche.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:28 AM
brim
Rennlist Member

I've had both systems installed on my 7.2 They both sound great, but my preference is the RSS. It has the purest sound to me. A friend of mine who used to race cup cars, said it sounds just like a cup when fully opened up. To me the sound is a bit more "race like" and definitely get looks from the Ferrari owners at my local Saturday C&C meet...whereas the sharky didn't.

The look of the RSS is unmatched from the back (as there are no bolts where the tips are attached) and the all black ceramic coating really shows wells from the rear.

You can't go wrong either way, but I have been very very happy with the RSS xpipe which replaced my sharky.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:40 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Both quite nice....but if i were stroking the check, would be made payable to Sharky.

Originally Posted by riverflyer
Hi, I see Sharkwerks and RSS offer a rear muffler bypass system. Anyone has experience with both and a preference?
They seem to be similar material, with tips welded on the RSS and bolted on the Shark system so you could change them if you wanted a new look. The RSS does have a crossover so was wondering if that makes a tangible difference in the sound?

thanks
Old 07-06-2010, 08:28 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brim
I've had both systems installed on my 7.2 They both sound great, but my preference is the RSS. It has the purest sound to me. A friend of mine who used to race cup cars, said it sounds just like a cup when fully opened up. To me the sound is a bit more "race like" and definitely get looks from the Ferrari owners at my local Saturday C&C meet...whereas the sharky didn't.

The look of the RSS is unmatched from the back (as there are no bolts where the tips are attached) and the all black ceramic coating really shows wells from the rear.

You can't go wrong either way, but I have been very very happy with the RSS xpipe which replaced my sharky.
I couldn't find the pipe diameters for the Sharky. I know the RSS has 3" and 2" piping. Is the Sharky the same or slightly smaller in diameter?

My concerns are if the RSS suffers any low end torque loss and/or has any resonating compared to the Sharky.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:36 AM
mepps
Racer

my sharkwerks track system is 3"

Quick Reply: gt 3 muffler bypass systems