Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Difference in height - sports bucket seat vs. lightweight bucket seat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 05:36 PM
MarekN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference in height - sports bucket seat vs. lightweight bucket seat?

Hello, could someone with experience with both types of seat please tell me if there is a different height of sitting position between the two seats offered for the new RS?

My body would probably feel better in the folding seats, but the lower seating position is a priority. Of course, I could buy any other bucket seat later on, but I want to keep the car stock. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:39 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,031 Likes on 2,843 Posts

Yes, there is a very noticeable difference - the lightweight (Euro only) seats are mounted lower (give more headroom) than the folding GT2 seats.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:41 PM
MarekN
Racer

Alright, thanks Grant for your reply. Now, how do the folding seats compare in height to the standard sports seats in their lowest position? That´s what I have at the moment in my GT3. Higher, lower? Thanks.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarekN
Alright, thanks Grant for your reply. Now, how do the folding seats compare in height to the standard sports seats in their lowest position? That´s what I have at the moment in my GT3. Higher, lower? Thanks.
I believe the folding seats are higher than the standard sport seats in their lowest position. If I remember correctly, the folding seats are about the same height as the standard seats somewhere in the middle of their height range.

I am not very tall, but I have a very long torso and headroom is an issue for me with a helmet. I sat in a 997 C4S (with a sunroof) and I had very little headroom in that car with the folding GT2 seats (would have been a struggle with a helmet and I usually can fit fine with a helmet in a 997 with the Sport Seats at their lowest setting).

Since a new GT3 has no sunroof, I think I could fit with the folding seats with a helmet, but it is very close.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:29 PM
YearOne
Racer

My UK 997 GT3.1 has the fixed seats and I love them, i have done 8hr days of driving in them and think they are amazingly comfortable for fixed race seats. I am 6'4 and 85kg.

The RS that I had briefly had the folding GT2 seats and I did not find them nearly as comfortable as my fixed seats, you sit higher and the lumber support was not nearly as comfortable. I think its ridiculous that the RS does not come with the fixed seats as standard as in my GT3 and that they are such an expensive option.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you are comfortable visualizing English units of measure. I am 5'10' with relatively short legs (29" inseam). The GT2 folding buckets are fine for me - I can just barely see the top of the right front fender without straining. I used to have 996 GT3 seats and I needed spacers to elevate the seat about 3/4 inch to get the same viewpoint. No problem with helmet in either seat. Hope this is helpful.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:40 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

For what it's worth the lightweight carbon buckets are about an inch off the bodyshell at its lowest point. Non-adjustable, obviously.

I don't have the exact figures but sitting in the GT2 seats I feel I'm at least an inch or two higher.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok what is the standard seat that comes in the regular GT3, non RS? I am 6'5" and I remember when I sat in a GT3 last year my legs were hitting the dash with the seat fully adjusted. Now when I sat in the 911 TT at the LA Auto Show it didn't have that problem!
Old 07-05-2010, 09:02 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

The sport bucket seat... The folding carbon back sit very high plus they do not go back as far as the standard sport seats. Problem is you can not use harness with the adjustable sport seats . I wish Porshe would think about us taller guys and build the carbon back folding sport bucket seats so that they are more adjustable
Old 07-05-2010, 09:34 PM
MarekN
Racer

Thanks for all your answers. The hick-up is to find out that the new RS standard folding seats are actually higher than the regular seats in their lowest position. I don´t think I could live with that because it would detract from the driving feel.
Do you think it is possible that the way I have the sport seats now in their lowest position, that the height is comparable to the lightweight bucket seats? Or are the bucket seats even lower?

I can relate to US measurements, but in metric I am 190 cm and 100 kg. I once sat in the lightweight bucket seats and felt that they were pushing me forward at the shoulders and upper back, being plainly too narrow for me. Not pleasant and exactly the opposite of what the seat should do.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, the 996 GT3 seats and GT2 seats all feel like that in the shoulders. - you get used to it and it gives good shoulder support on the track. As long as your hips fit, I should think you'd be fine - but it is obviously a personal thing.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarekN
Thanks for all your answers. The hick-up is to find out that the new RS standard folding seats are actually higher than the regular seats in their lowest position. I don´t think I could live with that because it would detract from the driving feel.
Do you think it is possible that the way I have the sport seats now in their lowest position, that the height is comparable to the lightweight bucket seats? Or are the bucket seats even lower?

I can relate to US measurements, but in metric I am 190 cm and 100 kg. I once sat in the lightweight bucket seats and felt that they were pushing me forward at the shoulders and upper back, being plainly too narrow for me. Not pleasant and exactly the opposite of what the seat should do.
Sounds like you might be happier in something like the Recaro Pole Position (what I use) or Sparco Evo2 (and keep the stock seats in storage). For a Porsche seat, I think the lightweight buckets are similar/same as Carrera GT seats and those came in more than one size (width). The wider one of those would probably be a nice choice, but they are very expensive.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:18 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just another data point, a very nice guy and friend took me on some passenger laps in his 2010 RS today at the track and unfortunately the folding buckets proved to be just a tad too tall for me (helmet touching the headliner). I once rode in a 997.1 RS with CGT seats and did not come close to the headliner for reference. I wonder if there is any aftermarket solution to mount the folding buckets lower? 1 inch would probably be enough for me (I'm only 5'11", but short legs and long torso).
Old 07-16-2010, 10:18 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

if you run the cage/harnesses, you need the bucket seats. the folders are too high. this is an rs remember.........you gotta compromise your comfort just a little....
Old 07-20-2010, 07:41 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can remove the seat padding when on track if your helmet touches the roof. It is just attached with velcro.

Quick Reply: Difference in height - sports bucket seat vs. lightweight bucket seat?