Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thinking about selling 07 RS...price range?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 04:42 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Silver an Orange got a bad rap. It was my first color of choice in that model. True many did not like it. But right now it is uncommon, and someone will feel the same way and pay a small premium for this car.
Orange and blue are complimentary colors and in some lighting occasions the silver comes off reflecting blue and
the car looks awesome

Having said that I LOVE the silver/black combo. I would do that IF I planned to keep it. Since he is selling
keeping the orange will be important.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:55 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Silver an Orange got a bad rap. It was my first color of choice in that model. True many did not like it. But right now it is uncommon, and someone will feel the same way and pay a small premium for this car.
Orange and blue are complimentary colors and in some lighting occasions the silver comes off reflecting blue and
the car looks awesome

Having said that I LOVE the silver/black combo. I would do that IF I planned to keep it. Since he is selling
keeping the orange will be important.
true,

the sliver and orange is the rarest and was a cost option unlike the free black.
However i think it is rarest for a reason which is why it may never command a rare price.......

they look so good when orange is converted to black!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:57 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Asquared
Check the GT3 Registry for a history and trend of pricing

May want to check the history of this thread

There seems to be a lot of inventory out there right now, which is not conducive to strong pricing.
It's a shame Adam hasn't gotten 1 hit on ebay. Listing just ran out. It is a sign of the times. I also looked at the completed sales and it was only 1 2010 GT3 for $110,000. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Beaut...2#ht_500wt_952

Lots of cars for sale but obviously the asking price's are higher than market will pay.

Peter
Old 06-29-2010, 05:12 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
bone stock it will be 100k tops. Anything less is if you really need to shake it which you probably dont.

if you sell it, remove all parts and sell it bone stock. Sell parts on used market.

My advice is to hold for another year minimum.
Remove orange stripes, and paint your second set of wheels black. (you only need one more wheel)

a full sliver RS with no decals and black wheels will refresh what you have and perhaps breathe new life into your ownership of this fine auto.
I can't imagine that holding it will yield a higher price. A year from now there will be .2 RSs on the market as well. Two years from now there will be even more used RSs (.1s and .2s) to choose from.

If I had to guess...you'll see these cars depreciate on a similar path to 996GT3s and GT2s and ultimately probably settle around $60,000-$65,000 in under 10 years.

Obviously that's just my opinion but I strongly doubt you'll see any kind of price floor for several years.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Silver RS color option in 2007/2008

re: tcsracing1's "the silver and orange is the rarest and was a cost option unlike the free black." My understanding was that the black and silver exterior paint colors in '07/'08 RS's were priced exactly the same (standard). The RS Orange and RS Green came at a slight premium. In each case, the contrasting color wheels, rear view mirrors, decals, etc. was included as a pkg for that color combo (e.g. Silver/Orange, Black/Orange, Green/Black, Orange/Black). Later in production, Porsche AG allowed one additional exterior color (White) on the RS, but never true Paint to Sample choices, at least not for the US market. Interestingly, the contrasting color in a White RS (usually black) for rear view mirrors, wheels would cost extra (not included as before in pkg), making a White RS/Black the most expensive paint color combination in that gt3 model. White cars were also the only 997.1 RS that didn't come with decals from factory. Instead, decals were applied (if wanted) at your dealer for an extra charge. Silver/Orange is rare because most customers and/or dealers didn't order that particular color combo. The market spoke. In addition, many Silver/Orange RS's were modified by owners to become Silver/Black RS's at some cost. Doesn't mean beans if you love a Silver RS with the 'loud' Orange wheels (I don't on an RS) but it is all a matter of personal opinion & taste. I love the 'loud' RS Green and RS Orange exteriors with the subtle/dull 'black' wheels. The beauty of choice. z356
Old 06-29-2010, 08:39 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
I can't imagine that holding it will yield a higher price. A year from now there will be .2 RSs on the market as well. Two years from now there will be even more used RSs (.1s and .2s) to choose from.

If I had to guess...you'll see these cars depreciate on a similar path to 996GT3s and GT2s and ultimately probably settle around $60,000-$65,000 in under 10 years.

Obviously that's just my opinion but I strongly doubt you'll see any kind of price floor for several years.
Holding wont yield a higher price, but for what the market is currently paying one is better off keeping it for at least another year and enjoying it before considering sale for what people are paying.

Eventually when 997.1 RS examples run out of warranty, the market will show a new low for the values...... then, once at the no warranty market price, the depreciation will slow down to a more reasonable rate. More so then the 996 GT3 and 997 GT3 non RS.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:57 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
re: tcsracing1's "the silver and orange is the rarest and was a cost option unlike the free black." My understanding was that the black and silver exterior paint colors in '07/'08 RS's were priced exactly the same (standard). The RS Orange and RS Green came at a slight premium. In each case, the contrasting color wheels, rear view mirrors, decals, etc. was included as a pkg for that color combo (e.g. Silver/Orange, Black/Orange, Green/Black, Orange/Black). Later in production, Porsche AG allowed one additional exterior color (White) on the RS, but never true Paint to Sample choices, at least not for the US market. Interestingly, the contrasting color in a White RS (usually black) for rear view mirrors, wheels would cost extra (not included as before in pkg), making a White RS/Black the most expensive paint color combination in that gt3 model. White cars were also the only 997.1 RS that didn't come with decals from factory. Instead, decals were applied (if wanted) at your dealer for an extra charge. Silver/Orange is rare because most customers and/or dealers didn't order that particular color combo. The market spoke. In addition, many Silver/Orange RS's were modified by owners to become Silver/Black RS's at some cost. Doesn't mean beans if you love a Silver RS with the 'loud' Orange wheels (I don't on an RS) but it is all a matter of personal opinion & taste. I love the 'loud' RS Green and RS Orange exteriors with the subtle/dull 'black' wheels. The beauty of choice. z356
Black was a 0 cost option.
Silver being a metallic paint commanded $690.00
Orange was $3070.00
Green was $3070.00

white being the most expensive @ $4315.00

Of course depending on how one optioned a RS decided the final MSRP.
(so a black RS with with full leather, PCCB and other nic nacs could sticker higher then low option white RS etc..)

On the resale market, colors really dont command a premium nor do fancy options at this point..... people are buying low mileage and clean examples for comparable prices.

The cars that have the orange or green colors are moving more less whereas the slivers and black are slow moving or not at all.
Whites are selling for the same as lesser option Orange and Green.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:55 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, I just sold my orange RS for $110,000 in a private sale. It had 4,600 miles and bone stock. My dealer offered (only) $90K in a trade in towards an 2011 RS.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:12 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by my911rs
For what it's worth, I just sold my orange RS for $110,000 in a private sale. It had 4,600 miles and bone stock. My dealer offered (only) $90K in a trade in towards an 2011 RS.
that is a fair deal.
id say the colors were right, the condition was right and most likey the location of the buyer wasnt too far away.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:22 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Holding wont yield a higher price, but for what the market is currently paying one is better off keeping it for at least another year and enjoying it before considering sale for what people are paying.

Eventually when 997.1 RS examples run out of warranty, the market will show a new low for the values...... then, once at the no warranty market price, the depreciation will slow down to a more reasonable rate. More so then the 996 GT3 and 997 GT3 non RS.
Makes sense.

One thing is obvious...on a purely percentage basis you're almost always better off with limited production cars like the RS.

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling 07 RS...price range?