Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Need Feedback on Hoosier R6's for the track

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 01:58 PM
daedton
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Need Feedback on Hoosier R6's for the track

I'm wanting to make the switch from MPSC to Hoosiers for the track. (I only track the car now) I don't tow my RS to the track though. The track is about 80 miles each way. Would it be crazy to put these on and drive them to the track? Should I just stick with the MPSC and then once I get a trailer start using the Hoosiers.

Is the heat cycling a pain with them too?

Thanks.

07 RS
98 C2S
97 C4S
77 911S
Old 06-25-2010, 03:42 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a few guys that do that but I would not. The best solution is the little tire trailer. You can put your track tires on the trailer along with jack and impact gun. heat cyclng is part of the deal when you go to track tires. I almost gacked when I read the Hoosier recommended procedure, reminded me of Kobe beef.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:33 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- its doable
- be 100% sure no rain is possible

- another possibility is people have been known to fit 4 tires inside a 911 (pm NJ-GT) for instructions (only works if you don't have 1/2 cage - or at least a cage where you can unbolt the harness bar - Safety Device cage harness bar can be unbolted - also need to be able to remove passenger seat)

- another solution is 2 inside, 2 on a roof rack (doesn't look cool but it works)

- another solution is to make friends who have trailers and do the same events as you and have then transport the tires
Old 06-25-2010, 04:49 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it all the time but about 45 miles. We also had guys use the roof rack which worked well.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:13 PM
jenk12m
Banned

just have someone you konw bring the tires. 80miles is a good distance and you dont want to see any rain drops if you have those on. it could also rain on sunday when your trying to get back home
Old 06-25-2010, 05:45 PM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

I've driven on the street in Hoosiers. It's absolutely doable, and I find them fine even in a light rain (damp surface, minimal standing water), at least on course. The real concern for me with Hoosiers is gravel and other debris. Gravel, specifically, can be difficult to spot and it'll mean a significant loss in grip. Also, watch your rear. The car will stop far better than those behind you think, so if you panic stop, things could get bad.

I far prefer bringing the Hoosiers to the track some other way. I use a tire trailer, but we bring Nugget's tires between his car and mine, packed in the cars. I really like the tire trailer. It means I can fit significantly more stuff and it has a minimal impact on the car's performance. It's easy to drive the car plus tire trailer safely.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:54 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

80 miles each way is a long drive especially if you encounter rain, these tire have no grip what so ever.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to carry four tires on a roof rack on my 1988 Carrera with no problem. If you want to use the provided roof rack slots, you will need to fabricate a rack, which should not be too big a deal. Some guys stacked the tires vertically, some horizontally. But getting someone else to carry the tires for you is a lot easier (in some ways.)
Old 06-25-2010, 06:51 PM
daedton
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks all. Really helps. Ideally, it would be best to find a way to get the wheels there without having to rely on anyone else. From what I've been reading the Hoosiers really help understeer, which would help immensely in my drive to crack 2:00 at High Plains here in CO. Having a blast at the track though. Ever since I've been going out there, it seems to be the ONLY thing that matters. For those who haven't taken their GT3's or RS's out on the track, you really don't understand how unreal these cars are dialed until you get them out there. Do it. You'll never look back.

07 RS
98 C2S
97 C4S
77 911S
Old 06-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by daedton
Thanks all. Really helps. Ideally, it would be best to find a way to get the wheels there without having to rely on anyone else. From what I've been reading the Hoosiers really help understeer, which would help immensely in my drive to crack 2:00 at High Plains here in CO. Having a blast at the track though. Ever since I've been going out there, it seems to be the ONLY thing that matters. For those who haven't taken their GT3's or RS's out on the track, you really don't understand how unreal these cars are dialed until you get them out there. Do it. You'll never look back.
High Plains is a hoot; I was there in May for 3 days with a few friends from Alberta, Canada. Cracking 2:00 would be nice, best I could do was 2:03.3.

I'm currently running MPSC on my 996 GT3 but have ordered new Hoosier R6's for the new 2011 GT3 coming in August. I'll use the R6's strictly for the track use and kept the Sport Cups for AX and local one day DE events.

Quick Reply: Need Feedback on Hoosier R6's for the track