Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Have you ever had a bad instructor experience before?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:12 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been instructing for over 10 years and that behavior from an instructor is inexcusable. That person should not be instructing. There are many ways of saying the right things to enable learning. You have to have a good state of mind to be able to educate someone on the safe way to be on-track. Don't ever let that happen to you again. And that goes for any other students out there. You have the right to get someone that is courteous and that will make you feel safe.

The last thing you want is to be driving "p!$$ed off". It is an accident waiting to happen. You must bring this to the attention of the event organizers. PCA Zone 1, I believe. Perhaps, he was jealous of your car... You just never know what sets people off.

Lou
Old 06-23-2010, 07:16 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 117 Posts

While on the track, at the furthest point from the padlock, I'd stopped the car and I'd told him GTFO. He would've had enough time to think about his actions on his walk back, hopefully on a 100 degree day...

Im so serious though...
Old 06-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,475 Likes on 2,276 Posts

Originally Posted by ninerguru
I have been instructing for over 10 years and that behavior from an instructor is inexcusable. That person should not be instructing. There are many ways of saying the right things to enable learning. You have to have a good state of mind to be able to educate someone on the safe way to be on-track. Don't ever let that happen to you again. And that goes for any other students out there. You have the right to get someone that is courteous and that will make you feel safe.

The last thing you want is to be driving "p!$$ed off". It is an accident waiting to happen. You must bring this to the attention of the event organizers. PCA Zone 1, I believe. Perhaps, he was jealous of your car... You just never know what sets people off.

Lou
+1, if you are not being educated, then the dude in the passenger seat is unwanted balast
Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
I have an acquaintance who is an instructor in BMW CCA. He is really not that good, he always raves about the great cars he gets to drive that belong to other people. He talks about how he gets to beat up on these great cars. He loves teaching the novice drivers because they have no idea what he is doing to their cars. I think that is the main reason he does it, and the discounted track days. I would not let him touch any of my cars. He drives a POS E36 M3 prepped for track. I have owned a couple of nice E36 M3's, his M3 is crap. Not to offend any E36 M3 owners. So novice drivers beware.
Please PM me the name and chapter that your "acquatance BMW instructor" belongs to so I can have him removed or at least watched for his behavior.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 06-23-2010, 08:22 PM
eab3@bellsouth.net
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jbossolo

Thoughtful comments. Many people don't bother to think out what they are doing and how they are going to do it.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:14 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,494 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
I have an acquaintance who is an instructor in BMW CCA. He is really not that good, he always raves about the great cars he gets to drive that belong to other people. He talks about how he gets to beat up on these great cars. He loves teaching the novice drivers because they have no idea what he is doing to their cars. I think that is the main reason he does it, and the discounted track days. I would not let him touch any of my cars. He drives a POS E36 M3 prepped for track. I have owned a couple of nice E36 M3's, his M3 is crap. Not to offend any E36 M3 owners. So novice drivers beware.
would this m3 be white and the instructors name starts with P?

instructors should drive student's car only to ascertain if it's a death trap.
if they think students' car are better set up than theirs. well... find a new instructor. he can't teach you much if he can't set up his car better than that of his students.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:58 PM
spare tire
Racer

Well you win a medal for experienceing the worst instructor of the month. That guy you described is a poster child for what not to do. One of the hard things to learn in DE is to relax and give yourself enough time to make good decisions. If your a beginner and you want to go fast, you do things like late braking and brakeing hard at the turn in. When a corner comes every 3 -8 seconds a lot of things have to be done right. Get on the brakes, get off the brakes, turn-in, apex, throttle, track out. All of this requires split second timing and practice. This bad comunicating instructor was all negative and that doesn't work with anybody. There are lots of O.K. instructors, and a bunch of great instructors, and only a few that are this bad. Your mission Mr. Phelps is to seek out the great instructors and never let a friend of yours get in the car with this (instructor?). This message will self destruct in 5 seconds...
Old 06-24-2010, 09:22 PM
ricster
Banned

I remember my first DE with the Porsche club. They have to have an instructor go with you and sign you off before you can by yourself. I used to run the skip barber eastern series races back in the late 80's early 90's and told him my level of track driving. He said well we still have to sign you off, so we proceeded only to say that he would not sign me off ( though I'm clearly fast and know what im doing). Long story short he finally signs me off. We had the exact same year and 911 but he was running Hoosier tires and I'm on street pirellis. Guess who was turning 3-4 second quicker lap time? Lol
Old 06-25-2010, 12:41 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

cfjan, and others, thanks for the kind comments.
The purpose of DE events is to have fun, enjoy your car, and learn how to drive it properly.
Don't get discouraged by this experience. The guy might have had an off day (a HELL of an off day!).
Let's at least give him the benefit of a doubt about that.
You sound like a sensible guy. Just keep at it, and be more selective and demanding of your instructors.
Then, when the time comes, become an instructor yourself and "pay it forward".
Old 06-25-2010, 01:03 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be worse....I had Ghetto Racer, infamous on Rennlist,..... who was hell bent on "droving" my GT2, aided and abetted by the track day organizer; both of whom claimed they were experienced with the car!

They subsequently distinguished themselves....not!

What I learned, even though it was an uncomfortable lesson:-

Always trust your instincts, you might not always be right, but they will keep you out of trouble!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:37 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I would love to instruct down the road if I ever become proficient enough. I can usually explains things in a way that people can understand (was TA when I was in college and was a volunteer to tutor kids from foster home.. so as you can imagine, that requires tons of patience.. !) So hopefully one day.. !!

I just hope I got enough $$$ to track it enough to become good at it.. ha!

Originally Posted by jbossolo
cfjan, and others, thanks for the kind comments.
The purpose of DE events is to have fun, enjoy your car, and learn how to drive it properly.
Don't get discouraged by this experience. The guy might have had an off day (a HELL of an off day!).
Let's at least give him the benefit of a doubt about that.
You sound like a sensible guy. Just keep at it, and be more selective and demanding of your instructors.
Then, when the time comes, become an instructor yourself and "pay it forward".
Old 06-25-2010, 10:26 PM
DRG13
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have pulled over on one of his 30mph apexes and told him to get the F#!k out and walk back to the paddock...on day 1, session 1...life's too short to spend it with douchebags
Old 06-26-2010, 01:17 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 905 Likes on 342 Posts

Totally reminded me of this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwa9TMG63fM
Old 06-26-2010, 01:29 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL, that guy got nothing on my instructor..

But to give my instructor credit, he didn't ask out.. he stayed for both days and continued his abuse.. (joke)
Old 06-26-2010, 01:44 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 905 Likes on 342 Posts

cfjan: Can't tell you how sorry I am you had to endure such a tool. We track to have fun and to learn. Throwing a personality like that into the mix prevents both. Hope you get a really solid, friendly and helpful person next time. And if you don't, use Mooty's ejector seat

Quick Reply: Have you ever had a bad instructor experience before?!