Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Have you ever had a bad instructor experience before?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 03:31 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott997
Next time just pit and tell them to get out. Then go back out and try and enjoy the session. I don't deal with crap instructors.
I haven't read to the end of the thread yet but felt I had to quote this. This is exactly what I thought as I was reading your story. From your description, this is abuse, and I can't deal with that.

Like you, I avoid confrontation at all cost but, in a case like this, I would have taken it to the pit and we would have had a heart to heart even if only to let the instructor know that I can't figure out what he's trying to tell me.

It's your car, you're in control, you've got to be comfortable with the situation.

Ok, now I've read it all and sorry, just realized the thread was already a couple of days old... oops.

Anyway,

1- cfjan, no need to be so humble. I'm with you as I said above, but if it doesn't feel right, there's no need to put up with it.
2- We can all learn something from every instructor and I suspect that this weekend was not a complete waste. Sounds like you've done a lot of thinking and got a couple of takeaways.
3- I tend not to use the F bomb; I'm French so it doesn't mean much to me but I try to avoid it out of respect. I don't really mind it but, in a case like this, it is absolutely inexcusable. This a fail, not as an instructor, but as a human being living in society
4- The GOOD news is that you've probably experienced the worst so it can only get better, right?

Cheers,

Last edited by FFaust; 06-23-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:12 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, like I said, I should have asked for a switch. Because it was really just not helpful for me (and I'm sure it frustrated him) and at time dangerous. It is hard to concentrate when you are being yelled at in that way.. It is not like I'm fragile or anything, but it is difficult to drive when someone is screaming "wrong" (but nothing else) at every corner.. Sometimes it literally went like, "you are f-ing it up", "f-ed up again", "wrong", "wrong", "wrong", "wrong again", "wrong".. and I really couldn't concentrate and was thinking about packing up and go, all while we are still driving on the track..

Anyway, glad to made it back w/o serious incident and ready for the next DE.. !
Old 06-23-2010, 04:18 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's safe to say your next instructor will be better.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:23 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

cfjan, have a look at my edit above.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:24 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I'm looking forward to my next DE (7/10) at Lime Rock already.. !! I'm sure that it will be excellent!!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:30 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

FFaust,

Thanks.. yeah, I don't think it was a total waste.. A lot of positive from the weekend:

- I did get to know the track.. so next time out I will know the layout and such.
- I also enjoyed hanging out w/ some of my fellow Porsche owners and had a great dinner after the first day with them.
- David Murry's digital track walk and his explanation on driving techniques were excellent. His talk about trail braking was good too.
- Saw lots of interesting Porsche cars there!
- And the biggest take away is that it is okay to switch instructor. If the teaching style doesn't suit me and I can't adapt to it, then there's no point of sticking to the same and thinking that it would change.

Originally Posted by FFaust
cfjan, have a look at my edit above.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:56 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Instructors

That story does sound difficult. I agree with some that you should have visited with the CTI and expressed your concern. Also, our region (FSR) has student and instructor eval forms. I highly suggest you complete one for this instructor and email it to the CTI. With communicators being relatively inexpensive, our region requires instructors to have this device. If we receive feedback like this, we also speak with the instructor so that we can determine if he or she should instruct again with our region. Best of luck with your track experience, and I hope you might run with us at VIR. We have our May DE Full Course 3 days and Sept DE South Course 2 days and full course 1 day.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:01 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

I don't intend to get anyone in trouble (get their instructor status suspended, etc.).. there was no evaluation this time (for CVR events, we always get an evaluation form).

But if there was one for this past weekend, it would have been the first time that I give a non-positive feedback. All my previous instructors have had received positive evaluation from me.

Would love to try VIR for sure! Kind of far from me, though.. (11 hours?)
Old 06-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I have an acquaintance who is an instructor in BMW CCA. He is really not that good, he always raves about the great cars he gets to drive that belong to other people. He talks about how he gets to beat up on these great cars. He loves teaching the novice drivers because they have no idea what he is doing to their cars. I think that is the main reason he does it, and the discounted track days. I would not let him touch any of my cars. He drives a POS E36 M3 prepped for track. I have owned a couple of nice E36 M3's, his M3 is crap. Not to offend any E36 M3 owners. So novice drivers beware.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The problem started at the first run where the instructor did not have an operating communicator. No communicator / no Instruct in my book. Positive reinforcement not negative input is the proper approach. I would contact the PCA DE Chair person and let them know about your unacceptable experience. There may be other documented times where this Instructor did not perform to expectations and your input is important. We have removed Instructors from our group in the past for behavior as you described.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

That instructor's behavior was unacceptable. Period.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:47 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I am an instructor, and something every student should know is that you have the right to fire your instructor. Just tell the Chief Instructor at the event.

You can get a replacement. There is NO WAY you should have to put up with the abuse you took from that guy. End of story.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe you don't want to get that instructor in trouble and I can understand that, but, other students after you will still be having to experience this guy's bad attitude. Isn't it worth it to them to at least have this guy get an attitude check? He may see his error and become a good instructor because of it.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:51 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Hi Fred,

Yeah, I realize that after this experience.. I was trying to "get it to work".. but it didn't work out.. so next time (hopefully there will be no next time!) I will know what to do.. !

FYI - I used the brake spring tool prior to the event and put on some new pads.. as well as using the buckle clip for the first time in this event.. both worked flawlessly!!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:52 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Larry, point well taken..

Quick Reply: Have you ever had a bad instructor experience before?!