Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

clear bra cleaning tips??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 02:26 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts
Default clear bra cleaning tips??

what are ye all folks using for cleaning your clear bra?

i actually had a douche bag back into my RS and lightly touch bumper to bumper leaving a dull finish scrape on the clear bra. Can it be polished/waxed?
Old 06-20-2010, 04:19 AM
A430v
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, clear bra can be polished and waxed. After that's said and done, I heard Pledge, yup Pledge, helps keep the surface clean. No joke, heard this from a high-end clear bra guy. Haven't tried it myself (the Pledge), but I have buffed, polished and waxed my cars that are braed. No issues. Just be gentle.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use TTR made by Premier Films in California. It makes quick work of everything on a clear bra. Even removed a stain that Plexus couldn't.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

plexus does n't work on clear bra if you track the car hard. if you can wipe off rubber markes with plexus, trust me you didn't bumper draft close enough.

TTR from premier is the ****. i have never seen anything like that. so i presume its toxic, so make sure u re wax the bra. after TTR i use premiers cleaner then follow with crystalline. it's better than any wax, wax tends to turn clr bra yellow. i have white car, i see it clearly how it changes color if you waxed it too much.

yes, as AV430 said, you can buff wax polish film, but dont use too much pressure, it will be damaged.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:30 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

mooty is expert on waxing it too much. listen to his sage advice.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:34 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

+1 on TTR. Works unbelievably well.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:42 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
mooty is expert on waxing it too much. listen to his sage advice.
haha, i just pay the 6th layer of wax on the RS this weekend. you know it's father's day. so i requested to make the kids and wife disappear from the house so i can have some peace and quiet with the car, clay bar, and 20 bottles of chemicals and orbitals.

i think i got enough wax for track now.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:34 PM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Mother's pre-wax (number one in their three step system), cleans up most everything - works very well on bugs and track day rubber marks.
Cheers!
Doug N.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:15 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I use plexus on my gt2 and it works great.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All depends on how deep it is. If it's just a surface "hit" (rubber or scuff) some of the mild cleansers such as Plexus will do. Other than that, you may have to use a polishing pad and step up the level of polish.

Plexus is a great polish to maintain plastics besides your film, such as tailights and headlight or markers that may have been sand blasted by road debris. If you stay on top of it, results are much better than trying to correct long term wear.

With a polishing pad, I's stard very mild, like P21S Paintwork cleanser or a very fine polish such as Menzerna finishing polish.

Always mask off the area first with a slight amount into the film where it's clear to bled it in and to test your results. Using a slow speed RO polisher, use very light pressure on the pad.

Once the scuff is gone, use Plexus to blend it in more with the area not effected.

If in doubt, go back to the installer and let them assist in removing it. They already have the tools and chemicals to correct it. See if you can be present when it's done so if in the future it ever happens again, you can do it yourself.

Different films have different tolerence to polishing and some do well as others do not.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 06-20-2010, 11:00 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

try a tennis ball rubbed over the mark.......i didnt believe it either until i tried it.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:07 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Be careful here. Not all films can be buffed, and doing so could make it worse.

First, let's start with the brand of film you have on the car. What brand is the film, and what generation? I can walk you through correction techniques on pretty much any brand out there.

Next, and this goes for everyone, if you have a silver, white or other light color car, do not use Plexus on polyurethane paint protection film. It will turn it yellow over a period of time. I have a file full of test plates at the office to prove it. Plexus is designed for polycarbonate and it is awesome for that. Works on headlamps, signal lamps, etc. and does a great job, but not all plastics are the same. Trust me on this one.

As far as the waxes go, avoid products that contain Naptha or Kerosene (more common that you might think; get the MSDS to be sure). Try to stay more toward the natural side...Zymol, Swissvax come to mind. On the rest, use common sense and try to stick with something that is made for the job. Just because something will make it shiney right here and now does not mean that it will be good for it over the long haul. Some things can discolor the film, some can cause the pores to swell (turning them into very effective vacuum cleaners for environmental pollutants), and others can dry out the film causing it to crack over time. Don't roll the dice on this!

As far as I am aware, there are only two places to get purpose made cleaners and sealers for PPF. Ours and Premier's. Feel free to try them both and see what you think. You can PM me for a free sample of ours at any time. I'm happy to help out.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:11 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

My RS came from Carlson Porsche and was owned by Mother's Wax/Polishes in Huntington Beach CA.

Not sure if anybody knows what product was used for clear bra......
Old 06-20-2010, 11:18 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
My RS came from Carlson Porsche and was owned by Mother's Wax/Polishes in Huntington Beach CA.

Not sure if anybody knows what product was used for clear bra......
I can call Shane at Mother's and find out in the morning and reply back with instructions. We just took over the installations for these guys, and will be there in a couple weeks to do their new gray black/red RS and redo their ZR1 that was installed wrong. Stay tuned...
Old 06-22-2010, 11:04 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zellamsee
+1 on TTR. Works unbelievably well.
TTR? I couldn't find it on Pemier's webpage.

Quick Reply: clear bra cleaning tips??