Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1RS performance parts upgrade part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:25 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernie930
Don't get me started on the Bilsteins, haha. Hope your not having too much fun.
B

Bernie, your set up with this suspension is incredable! Im looking for every bend or turn in the city i can find to push the limit

Driving a RS with a well tuned suspension serviced by somebody who understands 997 CUP/Grand-Am cars can really help unleash the possibilities of the 997 platform and such knowledgeable service is an asset to any 997 owner looking for proper professional care of their Porsche.

no other auto maunfacture/marque is this much fun to tune!

looking foward to more tuning fun in the future!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernie930
Don't get me started on the Bilsteins, haha. Hope your not having too much fun.
B
Bernie, please do start on the Bilsteins !!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Will be setting up the bump steer next week for even more cornering performance!
Can you get whomever is doing your bump steer adjustment to give you the specs on how much toe change they measured per unit change of the suspension?

A plot of the toe change would be really nice if possible. Are you having both the front and rear bump steer set?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:58 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ApexComp
Can you get whomever is doing your bump steer adjustment to give you the specs on how much toe change they measured per unit change of the suspension?

A plot of the toe change would be really nice if possible. Are you having both the front and rear bump steer set?

im doing both front and rear...... as to specs, it is all foreign to me....

i drive/break em' and the shop fixes em'
Old 06-22-2010, 12:02 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You just want the toe link parallel to the ground with the car at rest. Add spacers until you reach the flat angle, this will provide you the most stable dynamic toe.

The stock car doesn't have a flat (parallel) toe link, so it is already more sensitive to dynamic toe changes (bump steer). It was even worse in the 2004 GT3.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:16 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

^ Here I am, reading about bump steer this and bump steer that, wondering what it is (as an adjustment as in "I'm getting by bump steer done"), do a search, come up with a gazillion threads and Rad (?), you just cleared it up with two short sentences. Thank you
Old 06-22-2010, 12:46 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
^ Here I am, reading about bump steer this and bump steer that, wondering what it is (as an adjustment as in "I'm getting by bump steer done"), do a search, come up with a gazillion threads and Rad (?), you just cleared it up with two short sentences. Thank you
One thing is for sure, RAD knows the business! He opened my eyes to the sceene!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,855 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Jewelry for men
Sure beats collecting watches...
Old 06-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
You just want the toe link parallel to the ground with the car at rest. Add spacers until you reach the flat angle, this will provide you the most stable dynamic toe.

The stock car doesn't have a flat (parallel) toe link, so it is already more sensitive to dynamic toe changes (bump steer). It was even worse in the 2004 GT3.
I really would like to see data or a plot. Because this is not true for most cars.
Don't make me borrow a bump steer gauge and do the work myself... please!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:08 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Sure beats collecting watches...
PLS dont get me started on that again. i FINALLY shook off that drug habit.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

I really would like to see data or a plot. Because this is not true for most cars.
pls borrow a gauge. i never seen a bump steer gauge. love to see it.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:29 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

So as long as I'm exposing my ignorance, why wouldn't the factory want to achieve the "most stable dynamic toe"?

Yes, everything is a compromise, what you gain in bananas, you lose in oranges, so what would be the downside of having a setup that minimizes bump steer from the factory? Maybe loss of travel, so loss of comfort on a "road" car
Old 06-22-2010, 01:07 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

So as long as I'm exposing my ignorance, why wouldn't the factory want to achieve the "most stable dynamic toe"?

Yes, everything is a compromise, what you gain in bananas, you lose in oranges, so what would be the downside of having a setup that minimizes bump steer from the factory? Maybe loss of travel, so loss of comfort on a "road" car
This is a good question, speaking about rear toe they messed it up from day 1. It's easy to understand some of the compromises they do for comfort by maintaining some rubber, but the bolts of the rear toe links and their angle (more when lowered) are badly designed and can become dangerous. Especially after a few ins 'n outs of the eccentrics.

Fortunately the fixes are easy and considering the benefits, cheap too however.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:17 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

the process is very time consuming and requires alot of experience with track cars.
from the secrets of the shop, nothing short of a letter from god would probably get them to reveal the friuts of their labour.....

believe me, i try......
Old 06-22-2010, 02:21 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No downside at all, except for Porsche because they would need to manufacture specific parts for the GT3.

The toe links from the 997 GT3 are from the 996, the dog bones are shared by the standard Carrera and Carrera 4S (and Turbos and Cabs). Reusing parts saves them money, but brings you less than ideal geometry.

The older the GT3, the more they share parts with the Boxster and Carrera.

Quick Reply: 997.1RS performance parts upgrade part 1