Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Tool to remove centerlock centercap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 06:14 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tool to remove centerlock centercap?

Hasn't anybody come up with a handy tool yet to remove those dustcaps from the centerlock wheels without either bending them or damaging the edge of the centerlock? The current system as explained by Porsche "use screwdriver and be careful" doesn't seem like a good solution for trackday-addicts, who need to remove wheels quite often (changing pads, tires, and simply on a regular basis to do a visual inspection of the brake system). Apparently this plastic lip underneath should serve as a way of pulling without touching the cap itself, but I really dont see how to do this without using the edge of the bolt as a sort of lever. I dont know if anyone has ever removed one when the car was driven for some time? I did yesterday and it was a pain in the... to get it of. There was some kind of pressure difference and it sounded a bit like opening a cola can when it finally gave loose (and of course flew all over the place). And to compensate for this I lost another one (not one of those I just removed) on a local trackday Apparently this one came loose enough to fly of by itself.

Apart from that (and the fact that no regular autoshop has the torque tools necessary) this centerlock system is quite handy I must say.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess you missed my dust-cap rant post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/7592521-post16.html

Also, I think that little plastic tab is there to cover the gap (to keep debris out) where Porsche advises sticking a screwdriver with tape over the end.

I think any of the after-market CF shops should come up with a nice dust cap that can be removed -- with a tool -- undamaged. Since Porsche wants $45 each, I'd much rather buy something that's durable and buy it once.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 748 Posts

+1, Mine are warped a bit already..
Old 06-06-2010, 01:55 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,531 Likes on 2,288 Posts

I use a thin cotton towel at tip of screw driver

when the cap gives up ghost I plan
to use some tapes to cover the hole to prevent dust.

This cap thing is poorly designedconsideribg how nicely the rest oc the CL is machined.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:15 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

I use a paint can opener from Lowes. Works perfect and you don't have to pad it if you use it right. It's free too.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KBS911
I use a paint can opener from Lowes. Works perfect and you don't have to pad it if you use it right. It's free too.
Define perfect.
Any excuse to go to a hardware store! : )
Old 06-06-2010, 06:48 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default An alternative idea for track guys

DUCT TAPE otherwise known as "Racers tape"

Pull off your caps (once only) when you get to the track and cover the hole with the appropriate sized piece of Duct tape.

This can be done for every session and the only damage will be the sticky glue residue that you might have to remove at the end of the day or weekend.

You will most likely need Black or silver tape.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Baron
DUCT TAPE otherwise known as "Racers tape"

Pull off your caps (once only) when you get to the track and cover the hole with the appropriate sized piece of Duct tape.

This can be done for every session and the only damage will be the sticky glue residue that you might have to remove at the end of the day or weekend.

You will most likely need Black or silver tape.
Except the rule of using race tape, gaffer tape or duct tape is "don't put it on ducts." Not kidding. In other words, the hub of the wheel will be far too hot for the glue in duct tape. It will stop sticking, it will turn to goo and the tape itself will eventually come off, then you have the wheel covered in goo and exposed to brake dust and track grime. Doh!

I think we need a class action suit against Porsche for them to remedy the dust cap problem and replace any marred wheel nuts. Given that's a pipe dream and hardly worth the time to type the sentence, I've concluded that I need to buy a set of wheel nuts and a set of dust caps for resale. Leave them in the box to show the buyer and advise them to continue to use the items on the car.

Hopefully someone in the after-market world will seize the opportunity to make something decent out of CF or just plain nylon plugs with o-ring seals.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:50 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

nylon plug with o ring would be great.
maybe bumperplug.com can do it?
Old 06-06-2010, 07:58 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
nylon plug with o ring would be great.
maybe bumperplug.com can do it?
Great Idea CGT..... I'll look into this tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:11 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Except the rule of using race tape, gaffer tape or duct tape is "don't put it on ducts." Not kidding. In other words, the hub of the wheel will be far too hot for the glue in duct tape. It will stop sticking, it will turn to goo and the tape itself will eventually come off, then you have the wheel covered in goo and exposed to brake dust and track grime. Doh!
Correct, which is why I suggested that it be redone for every session before the tape has a chance to break down.

In past years, there have been series tech directors that haver mandated ( however useless it seemed) that all wheel weights be duct taped for "added measure".

To prevent your observation from happening, the team would clean the wheels with brake-clean and replace the tape after every session.

To my knowledge, these PCA DE events have ~25 minute sessions and the PCA club sessions are 20-35 minutes which shouldn't cause meltdown.

For lack of a better (or immediate) alternative, the Duct tape option is far cheaper than replacing damaged caps and readily available and better than nothing.

Just a thought !
Old 06-06-2010, 09:09 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Define perfect.
Any excuse to go to a hardware store! : )
You got that right. Spent most of the day between Lowes and the garage making "race ramp" risers for my trailer. Used a 3/8 plywood skin over a styrofoam core. They work good.

I'm serious about the paint can opener,too. Just popped off my caps a few minutes ago to check torque in prep for a PCA DE at PBIR this Saturday. Not a scratch. I been using one since just after I bought the car when I dimpled a cap slightly using a screwdriver with tape on the end. Now I just keep one in my torque wrench case. Just insert, keep your finger on it with a little pressure, and roll it right off. Piece of cake.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:45 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 242 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
I use the same exact thing:

Old 06-06-2010, 10:44 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ will try.
i got a bunch of those things in garage.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 748 Posts

I'll pick some up ASAP.

Quick Reply: Tool to remove centerlock centercap?