Get ready for black boxes and brake overrrides

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts
Default Get ready for black boxes and brake overrrides

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/27/r...k-boxes-brake/

A massive auto safety overhaul bill has made its way out of committee and onto the floor of the House of Representatives for voting. According to Automotive News, the biggest changes that the bill proposes is the mandatory addition of black boxes and brake override mechanisms to all new cars and trucks. The event-data recorders would track information shortly before and after an accident for a specified period of time in order to help investigators determine the cause of an accident. Legislators and manufacturers alike began to push for the recorders in the wake of multiple accidents associated with Toyota's unintended acceleration woes.

Originally, the bill would have required the black boxes to record data for a total of 75 seconds, though the House Energy and Commerce committee changed the legislation to allow the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration to determine the length. The bill also deals with regulations concerning pushbutton starts, pedal placement and a number of other auto-safety issues. If the bill passes the House of Representatives, it will be sent to the Senate for a final vote before becoming law.

[Source: Automotive News – sub. req.]
Old 05-27-2010, 04:26 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,701 Likes on 2,342 Posts

great, just great.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

It gets better...

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/31/r...otive-black-b/

Report: U.S. safety bill could triple cost of automotive black boxes to $5,000

by Zach Bowman (RSS feed) on May 31st 2010 at 6:41PM
When word first came down that Congress was looking to mandate that all new vehicles to be sold with Event Data Recorders, we knew that the added tech was going to be pricey. According to Automotive News, if legislators have their way, the new automotive black boxes will need to be both fire resistant and waterproof. Add in a significant amount of recording time before and after an accident, and suddenly the price tag per unit could soar up to a lofty $4,000 to $5,000. Currently, the EDRs track about five seconds worth of information just before an accident, though some legislators are pushing for up to 75 seconds of recording pre-crash. Between the fire insulation and added recording time, analysts believe the devices will swell to shoebox size, also creating a new packaging issue for automakers.

And who's going to be shelling out the cash for the indestructible, mammoth recorders? The short answer is the automakers, though you can bet they won't just be soaking up the cost out of the goodness of their hearts. Odds are that $4,000-per-box price tag will be passed right along to consumers if such devices become law, so don't be surprised to see sticker prices climb if the boxes become mandatory in 2015.

[Source: Automotive News – sub. req.]
Old 06-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is another "lawyer full employment act". They don't care what happens to the people. Slime.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

About time!

I want my family protected by failsafe idiot-proof technology:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNi17YLnZpg

I'm not at all worried about the millions of 7500lb SUVs with hub brakes on the rear and solid iron bumper bars. Those old 454 big block Suburbans and Chrylser mini-vans getting 6mpg are a sound financial choice and the perfect family grocery getter purchased by affluent types that maintain their cars to high standards and drive cautiously, still confident in having top shelf medical and auto insurance in case of the unthinkable happening.

Groan.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:43 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

....another reason my 1 of my track friends continues to drive a modified '74 Targa at the track. He passes most GT3's no problem too.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

It will save me money in the long run. I will just hold onto the cars I have and not buy anymore.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:57 AM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
It will save me money in the long run. I will just hold onto the cars I have and not buy anymore.
I was thinking the exact same thing.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:58 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,658 Likes on 770 Posts

Depressing...
Old 06-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

No doubt the current RS is a keeper (once we get Porsche to fix the exploding coolant lines issue)....
Old 06-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
About time!

I want my family protected by failsafe idiot-proof technology:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNi17YLnZpg

I'm not at all worried about the millions of 7500lb SUVs with hub brakes on the rear and solid iron bumper bars. Those old 454 big block Suburbans and Chrylser mini-vans getting 6mpg are a sound financial choice and the perfect family grocery getter purchased by affluent types that maintain their cars to high standards and drive cautiously, still confident in having top shelf medical and auto insurance in case of the unthinkable happening.

Groan.
CGT, thank you for sharing. As always you have brightened my day by your casual observation and wit-filled commentary. Love the Volvo video. EPIC FAIL.

As for the Black Boxes, we can only hope economies of scale will bring down the cost of these units. Not unless someone in the supply chain keeps the cost artificially high for reasons of greed, Thank you capitalism!!! And for 75 seconds worth of recording time before an "Event" taking place, well that is absurd. Why in the hell do we need 75 seconds of telemetry before an accident? Seems like "Big Brother" is watching us. The only reason I can come up with is to see the driving behavior of the driver, if they were driving fast, slow drunk, era-dict et al!
Old 06-01-2010, 10:37 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Note to self; must learn removal of stupid ******* black boxes...
Old 06-01-2010, 10:56 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

The government has been designing our cars since the '70s and it shows. We are reaching now, though, an inflection point and from now on those on this forum will not like the cars of the (near) future.

The masses do not care. Most people these days have no appreciation for driving. They see the car as mere transportation, with built-in entertainment to boot. To these people, while behind the wheel, driving is optional, behind their cells, PDAs, iPhones, stereos and other activities.

Last edited by ADias; 06-02-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The masses do not care. Most people these days have no appreciation for driving. They see the car as mere transportation, with built-in entertainment to boot. To these people while behind the well, driving is optional, behind their cells, PDAs, iPhones, stereos and other activities.
Very true.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:38 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Then I say **** the masses. I don't care what they want or care about, give us options.

Quick Reply: Get ready for black boxes and brake overrrides