Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010 GT3 at Snetterton

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010 | 07:15 AM
LuckyP
Racer

Default 2010 GT3 at Snetterton

Hi all,

Had my first dry trackday on Friday at Snetterton, Norfolk, England.

Took some instruction from Mike Wilds and he took my rather scrappy 1.20s down to a pleasing, smoother 1.18.5s

Still need to turn in later and knock off more speed so I can get on the power earlier, but it's a start. Warm day and the cold 29/31 soon got to 36/39 LHS and 34/38 RHS.

Here you go - no laughing at the back now!!

http://vimeo.com/11942639
Old 05-23-2010 | 11:51 AM
martin thomas
AutoX

Hi Lucky, Are you running on standard geo? Also are the tyres cups or corsas?

MT
Old 05-23-2010 | 11:56 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Nice and smooth. Squealing understeer -- you can try to incrementally bring down air pressures a 1lb at a time till you get both sides equal and probably get a little less scrub in the front on the slower apexes.

Definite case of needing slower-in, faster-out -- the "psych" of chasing cars in front was getting to you, it seemed.

Fun track!

By the way, the car with the white roll bar and strip (bow?) -- maybe it was a TVR -- was showing nice lines just at the end of the video. You might do well to follow that driver at their pace to practice, just shift at 5500 rpm to calm down the car.

Congratulations on the new GT3.
Old 05-23-2010 | 12:06 PM
LuckyP
Racer

Originally Posted by martin thomas
Hi Lucky, Are you running on standard geo? Also are the tyres cups or corsas?

MT
Geo as it came from the factory. It is on OE Corsas.
Old 05-23-2010 | 12:09 PM
LuckyP
Racer

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Nice and smooth. Squealing understeer -- you can try to incrementally bring down air pressures a 1lb at a time till you get both sides equal and probably get a little less scrub in the front on the slower apexes.

Definite case of needing slower-in, faster-out -- the "psych" of chasing cars in front was getting to you, it seemed.

Fun track!

By the way, the car with the white roll bar and strip (bow?) -- maybe it was a TVR -- was showing nice lines just at the end of the video. You might do well to follow that driver at their pace to practice, just shift at 5500 rpm to calm down the car.

Congratulations on the new GT3.
Will do. Mike was trying to get me to concentrate on the track rather than targets...err...I mean other track dayers

Easier said than done though!
Old 05-23-2010 | 12:17 PM
martin thomas
AutoX

Hi LUcky, What were your tyres looking like after the day at snetterton? I'm going on a euro trip in a few weeks taking in a couple of tracks at the same time. Pau and le mas du clos. Do you think i'll be needing to find some spare tyres for the trip home? My car has currently done 1000 road miles so the tyres are still like new.

MT
Old 05-23-2010 | 12:53 PM
LuckyP
Racer

Originally Posted by martin thomas
Hi LUcky, What were your tyres looking like after the day at snetterton? I'm going on a euro trip in a few weeks taking in a couple of tracks at the same time. Pau and le mas du clos. Do you think i'll be needing to find some spare tyres for the trip home? My car has currently done 1000 road miles so the tyres are still like new.

MT
Hi Martin,

Just been out to the garage to measure up. Do bare in mind that I've looked after these so no show boating or street burnouts!!

5000 milles, 3 wet trackdays (read no wear) and this dry dat at Snett (200 miles of squealing understeer!!

Fronts LHS Inner to outer 3mm/3mm/4mm RHS Inner to outer 3mm/4.5mm/4mm

Rears LHS Inner to outer 3mm/2.5mm/2mm RHS Inner to outer 3mm/3mm/3mm

Does that help?

For a heavy car, the wear rate is much better than my Ultima on Kumho V70s and even the Goodyear Fioranos that were on it from new.

Quite impressed.
Old 05-23-2010 | 12:59 PM
martin thomas
AutoX

Thanks a lot Lucky!! It looks as though my tyres should hold up then judging by your wear rates. Don't suppose you fancy coming on this euro trip? Lots of gt3's etc attending. It's been organised through puregt and bookatrack.com. We catch the Plymouth to Santander ferry on the 13th of June and then drive back up through France Taking in the trackdays.It's going to be a blast!!!

Martin
Old 05-23-2010 | 01:03 PM
LuckyP
Racer

Mate I'd love to. But my car bug is one of the things taking a toll on my relationship at the moment. I've had a 'lucky' escape and I'm trying to reel my neck in (after Goodwood on the 15th June and Spa on the 28th/29th June ). She's much more important to me than cars.......there said it. And breath.......

Quick Reply: 2010 GT3 at Snetterton