Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sport Chrono ... goodness ... srsly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
As long as it still requires you to flick the paddle (twice) with tenth-of-a-second precision on each lap I think it's still worthless. I'm embarrassed for Porsche that they still sell the thing.
Mental Note:

"When Photographing my new arrival, exclude the dash clock from any of the photos."

Old 05-21-2010, 11:24 AM
RS_dreams
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should post all the pictures you can and be proud of you car. These cars are killer with any option package. There are obviously a handful of enthusiasts that have a strict preference for the option package on this car, and at times it almost feels as though the fun is being taken out of the experience for the new owners who are just thrilled to be in the drivers seat. I do understand the passion for having a track car with no extra weight, bells or whistles, but in my estimation a master track driver with dealer spec RS could out race a stripped down track car driven by a novice...but I digress. I suppose us newbies ought to have a baby pool to swim around in. Hehehe. j/k.

Thanks, doodz. I will update ASAP. I actually had to reschedule my driving lesson due to limited mileage on the engine. No way I can get to 2k miles by Wednesday, so I will keep cruising until I can let the motor breath on the track..and let the big dog eat!

_RS_dreams
Old 05-21-2010, 11:27 AM
RS_dreams
Track Day

...and my car wasn't really sold as dealer spec. I was fed a line about a buyer from Mexico who fell through due to customs and logistical nightmare issues, but after skating around these boards, it might be clear that it was indeed a dealer spec RS...but either way...I am the beneficiary. Woohoo!

_RS_dreams
Old 05-21-2010, 02:03 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RS_dreams
Thanks, doodz. I will update ASAP. I actually had to reschedule my driving lesson due to limited mileage on the engine. No way I can get to 2k miles by Wednesday, so I will keep cruising until I can let the motor breath on the track..and let the big dog eat!

_RS_dreams
Why would you want to ruin your one chance at a proper break-in by not doing it on track?

Old 05-21-2010, 02:35 PM
RS_dreams
Track Day

Are you suggesting I keep the driving lesson even though the engine is not broken in per manual tips?

I have been wondering what affect those extra revolutions would have on the seating of piston rings past 1k miles. I hate to stray too far from the original posters topic...so if toes are being stepped on, PM me with your thoughts.

_RS_dreams
Old 05-22-2010, 12:04 AM
savyboy
Drifting

My Man...

My RS was on track and screaming for mercy at 300 miles. Break it in like you are going to drive it.

At 5000 miles now, probably 40% of those miles are track, and it runs like a top and uses no oil.

Srsly! (gratuitous thread reference so we don't get in trouble)
Old 05-22-2010, 12:09 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^
What took you so long, someone else was there at 150 miles?...j/k

But, the guy who strokes the check gets to make the decisions, and last time I checked America was all about freedom of choice, despite those who want to railroad us for the "greater good".
Old 05-22-2010, 11:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

True. There's a Web app (chronolizer.com ?) that decodes that, but anyone can doit just loading the file into Excel (as CSV file). Anyone interested, please contact me.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:16 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Nugget
As long as it still requires you to flick the paddle (twice) with tenth-of-a-second precision on each lap I think it's still worthless. I'm embarrassed for Porsche that they still sell the thing.
not only worthless but a total liability. trying to look at a screen and find the right lever....talk about an accident waiting to happen.

ive never seen a better argument for perhaps putting their average-at-best NAV/GPS system to work. let someone, like the AIM systems, push a button when you get to the start line or split and let it auto handle timing.
you do that, you have people screaming for joy.
better, work a deal with AIM and integrate their dash stuff inot that PCM since obviously the bluetooth, cell phone, SIM and like 8 out of the 10buttons on that thing are totally useless... that would be pretty cool, having AIM like stuff on that screen.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
not only worthless but a total liability. trying to look at a screen and find the right lever....talk about an accident waiting to happen.

ive never seen a better argument for perhaps putting their average-at-best NAV/GPS system to work. let someone, like the AIM systems, push a button when you get to the start line or split and let it auto handle timing.
you do that, you have people screaming for joy.
better, work a deal with AIM and integrate their dash stuff inot that PCM since obviously the bluetooth, cell phone, SIM and like 8 out of the 10buttons on that thing are totally useless... that would be pretty cool, having AIM like stuff on that screen.
I mentioned earlier in this thread that it's possible to use Sport Chrono without it being a distraction to the driver.

I agree with your "feature request" ... let's form a petition and have it signed and posted to Porsche AG.

For whatever reason, by proof of their actions, Porsche thinks that the performance side of PCM is not going to sell cars (otherwise, like integrating Bluetooth, eventually, they'd get around to it.) It's clearly within their means -- just imagine how much more difficult and expensive it is to build lane-departure or an automatic cruise control (and the liability inherent in those two systems must be daunting to say the least.)

And, fwiw, the Nav in the '09 and later cars is really very good -- especially the dynamic re-route to avoid traffic congestion ... that's works beautifully.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono ... goodness ... srsly?