Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

a little ceramic pccb question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 03:31 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

just so im clear (in case i ever buy a 2010 RS):

if it has RED Calipers, then it is harder to upgrade to an alternate/after market brake set-up whereas PCCB calipers can be easily swapped to other brake systems?

If so, why is this? I dont recall the 997.1 having this issue?
Old 05-23-2010, 03:34 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What speaks well of the P50s is people are repeat buyers - truly satisfied with the longer wear and higher friction levels
Old 05-23-2010, 03:37 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's another first hand experience with PCCBs...

- replaced my PCCBs after 30k miles and 70 track days at a cost of $16k.
- they would have lasted a lot longer if I ad not f'cuked up and noticed that the left rear inside pad had worn down to the backing plate. That killed the rotor.
- use OEM pads (not Green)
- replace when worn down to 5mm
- put in fresh SRF at beginning of season

If it wasn't for that aforementioned screwup...I think I would have gotten another 10k miles out of these rotors.

Will absolutely NOT go steels!
Old 05-23-2010, 05:55 PM
80shilling
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
How long is your track session? in Socal a typical track session is 15-20 minutes, and part of the session is a warm up, so you're lucky if you get 15 minutes of heavy track use, that should put you somewhere at 11 hours of track use, still early on the life span for PCCB.
We are doing 25 - 30 minute sessions... Never get a totally clean lap, but with only 20 or 30 Cars total on track in the advanced/race groups, passing is pretty easy. We are doing back-to-back sessions three times a day (5 total session per day each, so 10 total sessions)...
Old 05-23-2010, 06:10 PM
80shilling
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Great post. I appreciate the trail blazing.

1:37 in a GT2 (that's a 996?) on Hooters is pretty decent motoring.

Questions:

What bed-in process do you use for the pads?

What's the cheapest source for Porsche Motorsport supplied P50 Greens; and for Hoosiers?

I'm in the Bay Area and try to make it to Laguna and Sears as often as possible.

Next time we're both at the same place, you're welcome to take a ride in the new RS to see how the GT2 compares.

Thanks!

P.M. me if you are going to be at Laguna.... I will be there on May 31st if you want to stop by..

Yes.. 996 GT2 with JRZ's..

Bed in is as per Pagid's instructions.. 5 runs, braking from 90 -50 mph at decent but not hard pedal pressure, back to back, followed by braking from 110 mph to 50 mph with hard pressure, but not at lockup or getting the ABS on. WARNING!!! The pads sometimes break in at different rates and so you can find that one end or side of the Car will be gripping really hard, but the pads that haven't broken in are NOT gripping.. you can get a bit of a fright, because the Car can get a bit sideways on you

I buy from Craig at Rennstore

37's are not too bad considering I am pretty new to the Car.. It's a completely different driving style from my Corvette ZO6 (my last Car), or my heavily modded 944 Turbo with full Cup suspension on it.

My GT2 has been tweaked and fiddled with to get the suspension settings to my liking.. We are almost there.. I have found that it likes a VERY low ride height in the front (105mm), with 115mm in rear and it LOVES some toe-out.. I had tried toe-in and zero toe, but my toe-out settings have helped immensely in terms of turn-in and directional change being more "instant". -2.8 Camber in front, -2.3 in rear, 1/32nd toe-out in front, 1/16th toe-in at the rear.. caster is set to 7.8 degrees (it had gone to 8.3 and that was too much and causing slight rubbing on the front fender liners on turning.

Compared to my ZO6 or 944, the GT2 seems VERY sensitive to slight changes, so it's been a lot of trial and error, talking to people who set up these Cars or GT3 RS's and see a lot of them. There's a guy called Mike Kelley who was instrumental in helping me with a good base starting point that I have been slowly refining to MY specific driving style.

I'd love to get a ride in your Car.. I can take you out in mine also... It will be interesting to see if they feel similar, or utterly different...
Cheers..
Old 05-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 80shilling
P.M. me if you are going to be at Laguna.... I will be there on May 31st if you want to stop by..

Yes.. 996 GT2 with JRZ's..

Bed in is as per Pagid's instructions.. 5 runs, braking from 90 -50 mph at decent but not hard pedal pressure, back to back, followed by braking from 110 mph to 50 mph with hard pressure, but not at lockup or getting the ABS on. WARNING!!! The pads sometimes break in at different rates and so you can find that one end or side of the Car will be gripping really hard, but the pads that haven't broken in are NOT gripping.. you can get a bit of a fright, because the Car can get a bit sideways on you

I buy from Craig at Rennstore

37's are not too bad considering I am pretty new to the Car.. It's a completely different driving style from my Corvette ZO6 (my last Car), or my heavily modded 944 Turbo with full Cup suspension on it.

My GT2 has been tweaked and fiddled with to get the suspension settings to my liking.. We are almost there.. I have found that it likes a VERY low ride height in the front (105mm), with 115mm in rear and it LOVES some toe-out.. I had tried toe-in and zero toe, but my toe-out settings have helped immensely in terms of turn-in and directional change being more "instant". -2.8 Camber in front, -2.3 in rear, 1/32nd toe-out in front, 1/16th toe-in at the rear.. caster is set to 7.8 degrees (it had gone to 8.3 and that was too much and causing slight rubbing on the front fender liners on turning.

Compared to my ZO6 or 944, the GT2 seems VERY sensitive to slight changes, so it's been a lot of trial and error, talking to people who set up these Cars or GT3 RS's and see a lot of them. There's a guy called Mike Kelley who was instrumental in helping me with a good base starting point that I have been slowly refining to MY specific driving style.

I'd love to get a ride in your Car.. I can take you out in mine also... It will be interesting to see if they feel similar, or utterly different...
Cheers..

Interesting observations. I'd encourage other new RS track drivers to experiment with toe-out, I think it might be a missing ingredient.

For me, ride height is a matter of getting the bump steer out of the control arms. You can "cook" that recipe with different hardware on the steering arms, but for the most part, I think the car needs to be in the mid point of the suspension travel, meaning the lower arms are horizontal.

The RS isn't too sensitive simply because it's a little too compliant. As soon as any adds traction with tires or changes springs, they'll have a can of worms -- better to let some of the "race" team based companies sort it out and deliver complete solutions (dampers, springs, sways, bushings, hardware, settings) than tinker (though of course, the tinkering can be half the fun.) It will be interesting to find what's do-able on the new RS without too much surgery. I'm guessing lighter wheels and tires, urethane bushings, heim joints and maybe that transmission mount someone advertised here. The car already has such high apex speeds, I'm more interested in getting it settle and taking the compliance out of the running gear. I really like the spring and damper rates. I can't tell it's PASM on "normal" or on "sport" ... once I get a proper seat and harness in, I'm sure I'll be back to a love-hate with PASM. : )

Happy to take some laps in both. Even from the GT2, you'll be astonished at the power in the new RS. Take a couple of hundred pounds out of its fat hide and it would be awesome. Definitely needs a full cage before I'm going any quicker in it.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:16 PM
80shilling
Intermediate

Interesting observations. I'd encourage other new RS track drivers to experiment with toe-out, I think it might be a missing ingredient.

For me, ride height is a matter of getting the bump steer out of the control arms. You can "cook" that recipe with different hardware on the steering arms, but for the most part, I think the car needs to be in the mid point of the suspension travel, meaning the lower arms are horizontal.

The RS isn't too sensitive simply because it's a little too compliant. As soon as any adds traction with tires or changes springs, they'll have a can of worms -- better to let some of the "race" team based companies sort it out and deliver complete solutions (dampers, springs, sways, bushings, hardware, settings) than tinker (though of course, the tinkering can be half the fun.) It will be interesting to find what's do-able on the new RS without too much surgery. I'm guessing lighter wheels and tires, urethane bushings, heim joints and maybe that transmission mount someone advertised here. The car already has such high apex speeds, I'm more interested in getting it settle and taking the compliance out of the running gear. I really like the spring and damper rates. I can't tell it's PASM on "normal" or on "sport" ... once I get a proper seat and harness in, I'm sure I'll be back to a love-hate with PASM. : )

Happy to take some laps in both. Even from the GT2, you'll be astonished at the power in the new RS. Take a couple of hundred pounds out of its fat hide and it would be awesome. Definitely needs a full cage before I'm going any quicker in it.
I should have posted ALL my suspension mods:

Triple Adjustable JRZ's with quick disconnects, Monoballs front and rear, GT3 RSR swaybars from TRG, Eibach Pro springs 600 lbs front 800 lbs rear, Eisenlohr Racing adjustable Toe links, Adjustable Forked Drag Links, TRG adjustable control arms front and rear, TRG Drop links, Porsche Factory GT3RS Track Rods, TRG adjustable front Caster links, delrin bushings...,etc, etc. PLUS O.Z. Alleggerita wheels in stock sizes with Hoosier R6's, 245/35-18, 315/30-18. The control arms have eccentrically adjustable bushings, so I can keep them parallel even with my ride height. I was talking to some of the Porsche engineers for a few of the ALMS Race teams yesterday and they will run their Cup Cars as low as 85mm front and 105mm rear!!!!

Once I have the suspension perfect (I'm VERY close right now), it's on to some power upgrades... Billet compressor wheel upgrade to my existing K24's, 72 lb injectors, Sachs stage 3 clutch, Tony at EPL tune. 4" intercoolers... That will be IT.. The Car will be done at that point.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I should have posted ALL my suspension mods:

Triple Adjustable JRZ's with quick disconnects, Monoballs front and rear, GT3 RSR swaybars from TRG, Eibach Pro springs 600 lbs front 800 lbs rear, Eisenlohr Racing adjustable Toe links, Adjustable Forked Drag Links, TRG adjustable control arms front and rear, TRG Drop links, Porsche Factory GT3RS Track Rods, TRG adjustable front Caster links, delrin bushings...,etc, etc.
... I thought so ... sandbagger ...
Old 05-23-2010, 09:41 PM
80shilling
Intermediate

... I thought so ... sandbagger ...
Old 05-24-2010, 01:14 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P.M. me if you are going to be at Laguna.... I will be there on May 31st if you want to stop by.
I will be there on 31st with my RS (blue) but won't be much fun on the track as my first time at LS. So Mr. Turtle

Love my P50's from Craig. Don't feel like I am chewing through them like I do with the stock P40's. Got to get them hot to work though.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

just take out the int. bumper, ac, heater core...
i did all that in two days....
missed you at BW. flying off riverside at 100 was ... FUN.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:58 AM
80shilling
Intermediate

Originally Posted by savyboy
I will be there on 31st with my RS (blue) but won't be much fun on the track as my first time at LS. So Mr. Turtle

Love my P50's from Craig. Don't feel like I am chewing through them like I do with the stock P40's. Got to get them hot to work though.
I will try to find you when I get there.. Shouldn't be too hard with the color of your Car being so rare.. I will be easy to find.. Silver GT2 and a honking HUGE white GMC Dually....
Old 05-24-2010, 11:02 AM
savyboy
Drifting

I will try to find you when I get there.. Shouldn't be too hard with the color of your Car being so rare.. I will be easy to find.. Silver GT2 and a honking HUGE white GMC Dually....
Cool, let's meet up and bench race!
Old 05-24-2010, 01:51 PM
80shilling
Intermediate

Originally Posted by savyboy
Cool, let's meet up and bench race!
Why Bench Race when we can do it on the track... There will be plenty of Porsche Drivers there to help you out with tips etc if you need them. Do you have an instructor assigned to you?
Old 05-24-2010, 02:35 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Why Bench Race when we can do it on the track... There will be plenty of Porsche Drivers there to help you out with tips etc if you need them. Do you have an instructor assigned to you?
True!

I requested an instructor to show me the line but do not know who it is? Are you a PCA instructor? Or with Trackmasters?

Will also be there the next day with HOD.

Quick Reply: a little ceramic pccb question...