Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Oil change procedure

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:47 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oil change procedure

Can anyone provide me with the oil change procedure for a dry sump; specifically the .2 GT3?

And, what is a safe amount of oil as to avoid any overfill? I know the sump holds about 10 quarts, but don't want to oevrfill at all.

TIA.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,523 Likes on 2,286 Posts

OIL CHANGE

Oil should be changed when the engine has reached normal operating temperature. CAUTION - oil will be hot, take adequate precautions to avoid being burned.

1. Use ramps or jack up the vehicle at the points provided.
2. Remove the oil drain screw and collect the engine oil in a disposal container (at least 9 quarts). Always dispose of the waste oil in accordance with local legal requirements.
3. Wait about 20 minutes for all the old oil to drain. Then clean the oil drain screw and screw it back in with a new aluminium sealing ring. Tightening torque is 37 ft-lb.
4. Remove the oil filter housing with the oil filter wrench and unscrew the housing.
5. Remove oil filter housing vertically downward. Drain remaining oil into a disposal container.
6. Remove the filter element. Remove the filter downwards, drain and dispose of it in accordance with local legal requirements.
7. Clean the oil filter housing thoroughly inside and outside and replace the O-ring . The O-ring should not be levered off or on with a sharp object (e.g. screwdriver). A sharp object will damage the O-ring.
8. Install the new filter element.
9. Lightly apply oil to the O-ring and housing threads. Install oil filter housing and tighten to 19 ft-lb.
10. Fill with engine oil. The oil change quantity is approx. 8.75 liters (8.25 liters for MY02 and newer 3.6 liter engines) after a draining time of approx. 20 minutes.

these are instruction for 996 and 997.1 gt3/rs. it is the same for .2 as well, but i am not sure of oil capacity. i usually dump 9 bottles in there, never once overfilled.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:31 AM
911dev
Drifting

Thanks!

So, the dry sump is nothing really different from any other responsible oil change? I thought I had read here somewhere about there being more than one drain plug and other specifics pertaining to dry sumps. A previous search did not yield anything specific.

I'm going to have my dealer perform this one then plan to do the rest myself. You never know how meticulous the tech is; or isn't.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:02 AM
box01s
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Oil Drains

Originally Posted by 911dev
Thanks!

So, the dry sump is nothing really different from any other responsible oil change? I thought I had read here somewhere about there being more than one drain plug and other specifics pertaining to dry sumps.

There are two drain plugs on the GT3 engine ~ you may want to check Loren's procedure on RennTech
Attached Images   
Old 05-15-2010, 11:27 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Just a quick note, the crankcase drain is actually where the yellow line on my amended photo shows....
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2010, 11:32 AM
911dev
Drifting

THANKS to all, that's what I was looking for. I'll also check Renntech.

911Rox, so the yellow line is the ONLY crank case drain plug?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:56 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

That is my understanding 911dev as it is at the lowest point (as indicated by the earlier workshop diagrams in Box01s's post) and the other is the one at the bottom of the tank as was correctly indicated...
Old 05-15-2010, 12:25 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Just a quick note, the crankcase drain is actually where the yellow line on my amended photo shows....
I was looking at that first pic thinking... "WTF??? When did they move the crankcase drain plug???".

You never know sometimes with these pcar engineers...
Old 05-16-2010, 12:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,523 Likes on 2,286 Posts

SORRY, IGNORE MY DIRECTION. in a hurry, i posted non GT cars.
there are two plugs. the other post showed correct pix
also, when you take the plug off the oil tank near RR wheel, put a wrench on the neck above the plug, you dont want to break the neck off the oil tank.

furtheremore the oil filter on on top side of motor. so you dont pull it down as my WRONG post said. you pull it up!
Old 05-16-2010, 12:50 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

The oil drains from the oil tank really quickly. I suggest you add holes in your oil collection receptacle.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:36 PM
gt3racerich
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
also, when you take the plug off the oil tank near RR wheel, put a wrench on the neck above the plug, you dont want to break the neck off the oil tank.

furtheremore the oil filter on on top side of motor. so you dont pull it down as my WRONG post said. you pull it up!
Mooty
Where did you get the jack stands in the photo of the GT3?
Do they fit into the cicular jack points on the car?
Thanks, Rich

Last edited by gt3racerich; 05-16-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:33 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty

It's all good. I figured you thought it was a non GT car.

Thanks again for the help from everyone.

First oil change at about 1,100-1,200 miles, to be done by my dealer Tues. I will be with the tech when he does it. I'll do the next ones on my own if I can find the right ramps or jack and stands. At least now I know what to look for when my car is worked on. He's new to the dealship and I want to be ceratin the filter housing is wiped out and that the oil is completely drained from the tank. Yeah, I'm a bit meticulous.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:20 PM
andrew2008
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911dev
It's all good. I figured you thought it was a non GT car.

Thanks again for the help from everyone.

First oil change at about 1,100-1,200 miles, to be done by my dealer Tues. I will be with the tech when he does it. I'll do the next ones on my own if I can find the right ramps or jack and stands. At least now I know what to look for when my car is worked on. He's new to the dealship and I want to be ceratin the filter housing is wiped out and that the oil is completely drained from the tank. Yeah, I'm a bit meticulous.
You don't need any ramps or jacks to change the oil. It's fairly easy to
get to both drain plugs without raising the car.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:22 PM
911dev
Drifting

Thanks^

How many quarts should I pour in before checking the level for the first time, 9? The manual reads that iit may take 9.5 but am I safe with 9 first, then check the level before adding? I don't want to over-fill.

Quick Reply: Oil change procedure