Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

1/2 day at nurburgring in July

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010 | 08:20 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Just did the ring yesterday in a rented BMW 320I.
Slow car, slower tires, but it was very exciting!

I only had 2 hours and one car rolled, so I only got 6 laps in...
I started to figure out the corners, I just could not remember wich one was coming ;-)

This sure tastes like more ;-) The ultimate track day challenge
u only planned 1/2 day?
what's wrong with you?
i would have done 1/2 a month.
sounds like fun.....
Old 07-08-2010 | 08:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

going there next week on business hoping to fit in an evenings lapping ...
Old 07-08-2010 | 08:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
u only planned 1/2 day?
what's wrong with you?
i would have done 1/2 a month.
sounds like fun.....
mooty! ... you have your CRUISE CONTROL on!!!
Old 07-09-2010 | 04:15 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

u only planned 1/2 day?
what's wrong with you?
I had 1/2 day, but the ring is typically open only from 5:15 - 7:30 in the evening for anyone showing up to buy a ticket with laps. I will do some research to go there for a few days. Maybe a school, or find out if there are days that allow you to buy tickets all day with a rental (race) car.

I will try to make it before September, the weather is tricky, so it may have to be next summer.
Old 07-09-2010 | 04:28 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

let me know what times you plan on coming out. i can at least let you know whats what. the public days are usually pretty bad especially on weekends. always some wreck shutting down the track for several hours at a time. i went one morning early. had 3 laps, track shut down for 2 hours. went back after lunch for 1 lap and it got shut down again. opened again at 5pm and got in 2 more laps. 6 laps for an entire full day! much better just to go on a private track day. no bikes!

Coming up there is the annual Manthey's speed and fun track day. Its for porsches only track day on Aug 16th. The entire nordschleife closed full day for only 60 cars. 24hr racers are available for in car instruction. hot laps in cup cars fitted with passenger seat is a blast. never thought i would get air sickness in a car before. private dinner in their suite overlooking gp track in the evening. 1st class all the way. You can rent whatever porsche you want from them.

also BMW has a 3-day school on Aug 2-4. all car types welcome. they split the track into 3 sections to make it more manageable. other than that is the PDS schools all over the place. they have one at the nordschleife each year as well. i think its in september.

mooty can move into my extra garage for 1/2 month if he wants to come too. just water my wife's flower garden every morning as payment.
Old 07-09-2010 | 04:41 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Carrering, thanks!

I hear you on the wrecks, there was only one in the 2 hours I was there, but I saw many near misses!

To learn the track, 170HP was OK. I could do with a few more days going slow, before I need to go faster. Rentaracecar had a 330I with semi slicks, maybe that could be a good car for the last day and a regular rental car for the first few days....

I am still withing driving distance from the Ring (Geneva) and all I want to do is turn around ;-).
I will look for a September trip back and combine with a work visit. (Read no wife.) And pray for good weather..
When I come over I stay in Holland or germany both about 4 hours from the Ring...
Attached Images  

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 07-09-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-09-2010 | 05:56 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

I went yesterday, but last-minute they decided not to open it for the public. I wasn't the only one that was uninformed of this last-minute decision
Old 07-09-2010 | 01:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I'll probably be there next Wednesday (13th ... oops) for the evening lapping brrrm brrrm ... beep beep!
Old 07-09-2010 | 10:23 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by carrering

mooty can move into my extra garage for 1/2 month if he wants to come too. just water my wife's flower garden every morning as payment.
thanks for generous offer.
but i must forewarn you, your wife's flower garden may turn into a swimming pool after my fortnight's visit.
Old 07-10-2010 | 11:54 AM
markus_t19
Advanced

Default instructions/coaching days at the ring

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I will look for a September trip back and combine with a work visit. (Read no wife.) And pray for good weather..
When I come over I stay in Holland or germany both about 4 hours from the Ring...
Hi TRAKCAR,

in September 6+7 there is a 2-day ring event which caught my interest (few places left)
- ring only accesible for particpants 9am to 5 pm (closed to public)
- coaching in small groups
- famous race instructors

there is also a 1-day ring coaching by European Speedclub on Sept 20- and they have 911s and boxster for rent.

let me know if you are interested as i am in the process of trying to find out more.

Markus
Old 07-12-2010 | 05:13 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I went yesterday, but last-minute they decided not to open it for the public. I wasn't the only one that was uninformed of this last-minute decision
Went back on Saturday.
Instead of opening at 17.15 they opened at 18.30
Managed to do 5 laps anyway

Quick Reply: 1/2 day at nurburgring in July