dB Rating of Stock 997.2 RS exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnerd
At the ALMS championship at Laguna Seca last year, CJ, his dad and I got to sit down with the President of Laguna Seca and she told him that it's only like 5 residences who "complain"
Do you happen to have their names ...
Old 05-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Guys, my home track is sound restricted, 92 dB measured at 50 feet using the A scale, fast response. They use a professional meter which is calibrated twice a day. My 2010 RS clocked the same level as my 2007 RS, 86 dB. I was worried because of the posts I saw here. There were two of us on the track and neither one exceeded 86 dB.

Standing track side, the new RS sounds no louder than the GT3 or the Mk 1 RS. Both our cars were running in "sport" mode i.e. flaps open. Measurements are taken at various locations, all chosen because cars are running high rpm full throttle. We do not see the people taking the measurement so we can't lift and sneak past.

Hope this helps.

best,
Old 05-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Guys, my home track is sound restricted, 92 dB measured at 50 feet using the A scale, fast response. They use a professional meter which is calibrated twice a day. My 2010 RS clocked the same level as my 2007 RS, 86 dB. I was worried because of the posts I saw here. There were two of us on the track and neither one exceeded 86 dB.

Standing track side, the new RS sounds no louder than the GT3 or the Mk 1 RS. Both our cars were running in "sport" mode i.e. flaps open. Measurements are taken at various locations, all chosen because cars are running high rpm full throttle. We do not see the people taking the measurement so we can't lift and sneak past.

Hope this helps.

best,
Sounds consistent with what I posted. The new RS is over the sound limit at Laguna and so is the old RS.

In their genius, Laguna measures up-hill where the new 911's are at the top of 3rd gear, at track out. If there's low cloud, it increases the dB. If there's two 911's together they resonate and it increases the dB. The intake is contributing, so stuffing foam in and around the intake helps suppress dB.

If you hear a screaming RX7 go by, you'd swear it's going to crack the sky. Then the driver just "shifts and lifts" then repeats the same subterfuge at the second "roaming" check station before T7 then they scream all the way up the front straight. Crazy. And when a 911 goes up the main straight, it's nice, but it's practically silent.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:51 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Do you happen to have their names ...
they actually refer to themselves as the "highway 68 coalition" and like colby said it is 5 or 6 households. according to the LS prez- as soon as they kick the bucket there won't be sound restrictions.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:16 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
they actually refer to themselves as the "highway 68 coalition" and like colby said it is 5 or 6 households. according to the LS prez- as soon as they kick the bucket there won't be sound restrictions.
Someone should find out where they live, board up their windows, nail their doors shut and cut phonelines... job done...
Old 05-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

One trick you may consider is to add extentions to the end of the exhaust which point to the ground. This works well on my Cup when we have Sooks complaining at Sandown in Melbourne.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:46 AM
E4VLL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Condor Man
One trick you may consider is to add extentions to the end of the exhaust which point to the ground. This works well on my Cup when we have Sooks complaining at Sandown in Melbourne.
In the UK, at least on one track I use a fair amount, they stick the sound metre up your tail pipe (no jokes from the back) and get you to hold the revs at approximately 1,500 less than redline, all done while the car is static and waiting to get on the track.

They also have sound metres at various points on the track

All because of local owners who bought houses next to a track that has been there for 50+ years
Old 05-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Although this is not my Car, I have a similar system.

One thing to keep in mind is to ensure that you have a good clamping device to fix the end pieces on securely.
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2010, 08:48 AM
E4VLL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would help with drive-by but not static but thanks for the thought.

Quick Reply: dB Rating of Stock 997.2 RS exhaust