Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Carrera GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 04:17 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Let me know if you'd like me to rename this thread the "chewin' ta-baccee" thread ya-all.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:15 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Interesting point. This "bleed the suckers dry" marketing was lamented by Patrick Morrissey, lead singer of The Smiths -- he noted the proclivity of the music labels to box up the same songs, maybe a few mixes or just exactly the same collection with different cover art work. The fans would buy it out of loyalty, assuming they'd get some value, only to find disappointment over and over again until they just plain stopped buying anything at all.

I agree that with the likes of the Sport Classic, the GTS or even perhaps the GT2RS, Porsche is dancing with the devil -- playing fast and loose with their own core brand value. I just don't see the justification.

I think of the GT3RS as a "reward" car -- sought after by enthusiasts and available to "good" customers by dealers wanting to use the car to reward the customer with a very special 911. The GTS is just another parts-bin model to bolster flagging sales, that holds no significance down the track. I think Porsche was just about getting it right when they did the PCA lottery, but I guess that just goes to show it's easier said than done.
That's one way of looking at it. The other would be that if customers want every album release regardless of any substantive change then you'd be remiss not to make it for them. Equally, if you or I or someone else wants every variation of 911 going (or even a few of them) then they should be free to make that choice.

I don't think it makes anybody a sucker because they collect all of Morissey's albums (or someone elses) nor do I think someone a sucker for wanting to own a GT3, C2 and GTS if that's what they want.

Too much disposable income maybe, but not a sucker.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:05 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The Baron
Good point, I prefer the VW Diesel Toureg over the Cayenne any day.

Much better bang for the buck and it does NOT look like the Hyundai Sante Fe !
I think they've gone even further south of the border with the new make over for 2011. I can only hope their effort to redo the cabin includes some decent folding rear seats and better use of cabin volume.

Still, I might have to eat my "never again" words on the Cayenne ... if they put a diesel with the Hybrid (supercharged V6? what were they thinking?) ... but with a diesel ... and now I want to rekindle the PDK rumors with this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...e-pdk-tba.html

Quick Reply: Carrera GTS