Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Carrera GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:17 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you two chewing tobacco as you post?
Old 05-11-2010, 04:29 AM
amdevo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

porsche goin the audemars piguet way, as many editions as posible of the same item til every one starts loosing intrest, howevr i only care bout the gt3 line up and dont realy pay atention nor folow what porsche does with its other cars
Old 05-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amdevo
porsche goin the audemars piguet way, as many editions as posible of the same item til every one starts loosing intrest, howevr i only care bout the gt3 line up and dont realy pay atention nor folow what porsche does with its other cars
Interesting point. This "bleed the suckers dry" marketing was lamented by Patrick Morrissey, lead singer of The Smiths -- he noted the proclivity of the music labels to box up the same songs, maybe a few mixes or just exactly the same collection with different cover art work. The fans would buy it out of loyalty, assuming they'd get some value, only to find disappointment over and over again until they just plain stopped buying anything at all.

I agree that with the likes of the Sport Classic, the GTS or even perhaps the GT2RS, Porsche is dancing with the devil -- playing fast and loose with their own core brand value. I just don't see the justification.

I think of the GT3RS as a "reward" car -- sought after by enthusiasts and available to "good" customers by dealers wanting to use the car to reward the customer with a very special 911. The GTS is just another parts-bin model to bolster flagging sales, that holds no significance down the track. I think Porsche was just about getting it right when they did the PCA lottery, but I guess that just goes to show it's easier said than done.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:11 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Interesting point. This "bleed the suckers dry" marketing was lamented by Patrick Morrissey, lead singer of The Smiths.....
You get 10 cool points for being the first person the quote Morrissey on the GT2/3 forum!

Old 05-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MikeBat
You get 10 cool points for being the first person the quote Morrissey on the GT2/3 forum!

I'd say I was closer to getting banned. : )
Old 05-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
wow. read part of the 997 board thread on this car.

"I can see how a car like this would bridge the marginal gap between a 911S and a GT3, but why build in limited numbers? Makes me wonder if they are testing the market for such a car that could enable them to remove the GT3 from the product lineup."

W T F

moron!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now I remembered why I never go on that board.

The quotable 'Moron' here - I'm not sure who pooped in your cereal, but my post was based on inquisition and speculation. I was not suggesting the end of the GT3 (I love the car) nor was I hoping that Porsche build loads of the GTS - I genuinely am curious why Porsche would build such a car. To me, in my limited mental capacity, such a car does not seem to make much sense.

More importantly, what really makes little sense is why not just probe or challenge my post vs trash talking a fellow member behind their back? I'm certain you are a much better person than that.

-Clifton aka 'Moron'
Old 05-12-2010, 09:58 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
chuck,

so if i buy a ram today, i can get allison with cummin?

clearing the mirror... funny you should say that. here in bay area, we have a lot of toll bridge. i did not know the one's on the outter lanes are wider. i pulled my trailer with my truck tow mirror fully extended and flew by the toll plaza (electronic toll so i didnt need to stop) at 35mph, the first time i towed through a toll. my navigator shrugged and squeezed his eyes. then said your mirror was less than an inch from the toll box....

so stay far away from me when i tow ;-)
John,

The Cummins/Allison combo is still available in the '10-'11 Dodge.

I'm not sold on the "new" nose/headlight styling that Dodge has gone to.

I much prefer the '06-'09 look which is more rounded and at face value appears to be much more aero-looking.

I think that '08 was the only year that the Cummins/Allison combo was offered in the "MegaCab" which could be had with single or duel rear wheels.

There seem to be some great low mileage '08 Ram 3500 Megacabs on ebay.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:52 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Clifton
The quotable 'Moron' here - I'm not sure who pooped in your cereal, but my post was based on inquisition and speculation. I was not suggesting the end of the GT3 (I love the car) nor was I hoping that Porsche build loads of the GTS - I genuinely am curious why Porsche would build such a car. To me, in my limited mental capacity, such a car does not seem to make much sense.

More importantly, what really makes little sense is why not just probe or challenge my post vs trash talking a fellow member behind their back? I'm certain you are a much better person than that.

-Clifton aka 'Moron'
I don't post on the 997 board and this is exactly why. As you can see from my post count, I've been on here a while and post all the time elsewhere.

you probably shouldn't post on the gt3 board either, as you can tell from the tone of the thread, we're all pretty serious about our opinion that the gt3 /or gt3 RS are the 75% of the reasons we even care about porsche as a brand anymore. I also really like the boxster line as it's a great car for relatively cheap, and the CGT because it's sex on wheels.

you said you wonder if porsche is going to phase out or remove the gt3...clearly you're not aware that it's a highly profitable car program for them.

I just said it so nobody else needs to...

so lets agree that the GTS and sport classic 997 are stupid and flagrant attempts to fatten up off dumb customers and call it a day.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:57 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

clifton- "I can see how a car like this would bridge the marginal gap between a 911S and a GT3, but why build in limited numbers?"

the gap between the 997S and a gt3 is ENORMOUS. lets be serious. by what logic are they marginally close?

this is part of the issue I took from your post.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

you said you wonder if porsche is going to phase out or remove the gt3...clearly you're not aware that it's a highly profitable car program for them.

so lets agree that the GTS and sport classic 997 are stupid and flagrant attempts to fatten up off dumb customers and call it a day.
I agree the sport classic is a waist - makes zero sense. A special edition that isn't really "special" and makes the GT3/RS or TT look like a bargain.

The GTS seems like a car that would fill an unneeded gap between the 911S and the GT3. To me this is an odd move for Porsche unless trying to carpet bomb the gradient scale of the Porsche buyer.

The root of my statement was based on logic that I applied when I purchased my GT3. Even if a car like the GTS existed, I would have still purchased the GT3 over it or the 911s since the cost of a loaded 911s knocks at the door of a GT3 anyway. And it just so happens that the GT3 is a special car to me that I'm extremely passionate about. It makes my heart beat faster every time I look at it in the garage. And in my case, Porsche would really need to make the GT3 unreachable or discontinued altogether for me to even consider a GTS or 911s.

the gap between the 997S and a gt3 is ENORMOUS. lets be serious. by what logic are they marginally close?

this is part of the issue I took from your post.
As an owner, I know the 911S and GT3 are different animals (bridled vs. unbridled). The marginal gap I was referring to was based on Porsche's own stated performance (see pic). Not sure 'ENORMOUS' is the word I'd use here. Throw in the new GTS and it will split the difference. I was hardly dissing the GT3 by comparing the thin margin - I was only stating basic fact in objective terms; even though subjectivity is required to fully understand they are not the same car.

I don't post on the 997 board and this is exactly why. As you can see from my post count, I've been on here a while and post all the time elsewhere.

you probably shouldn't post on the gt3 board either
I do recognize you as long standing member with a high post count. So I'll choose my words very carefully - If that is truly the way you feel then GFY.

-Clifton
Old 05-12-2010, 03:21 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would take the 1999 360Hp 996 GT3 with its lower performance numbers to the 2010 DFI/PDK Carrera S marvel, or the even better to come Carrera GTS.

Personally, I think the Carrera GTS is a good addition. Widebody and X51 together as a package at the end of the 997. There was a 928GTS the last year (1995). There was a 996 40Th Anniversary in 2004 (last year of the 996 Carrera).

Porsche wants to sell 150,000 cars/year. To achieve that, they need more model lines, and more variations within each model, also penetration to newer markets.

Back in 1996 Porsche only had one car, the 911. From 1997 to 2002, just the 911 and the Boxster. Today, there are 5 model lines: 911, Boxster, Cayenne, Cayman and Panamera. They need to sell cars and make money to have funding for the MotorSports activities that help develop the GT3/GT2 road cars.

Rumor has it that 3 new model lines are coming, a baby Porsche, a SuperCar and a GT based on the Panamera. Having driven the Panamera Turbo and Cayenne Turbo, I'm very impressed on how much better these cars are against their competitors.

I wish Porsche makes a 3-series/C-class/A4 car, because it would be a lot better than these three cars, and they would sell plenty of them.

The prestige of the brand is not vanished with additional cars, actually it helps to build it. Once people go Porsche, they stay Porsche.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Once people go Porsche, they stay Porsche.
I believe that holds true for the Carrera (finances willing) and it may well hold true for the Panamera (especially if they improve its appearance) but it certainly does not hold true for the Cayenne. I think it would be revealing for Porsche to discuss the repeat business on the Cayenne.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:15 PM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I believe that holds true for the Carrera (finances willing) and it may well hold true for the Panamera (especially if they improve its appearance) but it certainly does not hold true for the Cayenne. I think it would be revealing for Porsche to discuss the repeat business on the Cayenne.
Good point, I prefer the VW Diesel Toureg over the Cayenne any day.

Much better bang for the buck and it does NOT look like the Hyundai Sante Fe !
Old 05-12-2010, 11:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Back to chewing tobacco..

John,
The Cummins/Allison combo is still available in the '10-'11 Dodge.
I'm not sold on the "new" nose/headlight styling that Dodge has gone to.
I much prefer the '06-'09 look which is more rounded and at face value appears to be much more aero-looking.
I think that '08 was the only year that the Cummins/Allison combo was offered in the "MegaCab" which could be had with single or duel rear wheels.
There seem to be some great low mileage '08 Ram 3500 Megacabs on ebay.
John, get one. I have a bone stock '08 dually Mega Cab, still under factory warranty, so it did not break yet.

You can run all day long with the cruise control on 90Mph with an enclosed trailer. I have done so. For days.

It has an Edge display (No chip) to keep an eye on temps when you hammer uphill, but you don't realy need it if you don't chip it.

Also has a 150dB train horn (To go with chewing..) People move out of the way, once you stick the nose in people always choose grass or emergency lane over getting "Rammed" of the road..

I had an '01 Excursion 7.3, '04Chevy 3500 dually, 06F350 dually and the Dodge is the nicest by far. OK, also the ugliest inside and out, but I still I would like to get a loaded '10. Unlike Chuck, I like it better :-)

And get a 3 axle 5th. wheel. The trailer is never big enough. But you might need some trailer driving lessons; Use all road available, ignore all other traffic and remember, when you slow down, it won't get narrower, so you might as well keep your foot in it.

Dana pumpkins (big)
Chuck what is that? Engine Brake? If not, you forgot the awesome engine brake! Makes me feel trucker.
Did your truck come with Bilsteins? My stock shocks suck.. I would like softer, but better shocks to go with the rear airbags..
Old 05-13-2010, 02:42 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dana = axles/diffs

Quick Reply: Carrera GTS