Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010 RS. What Tyres do u use

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:56 AM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Michelin tires

Just had a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires fitted to my GT3 RS. (I lent my car to Michelin for photo shooting during SEMA: look for a blue RS and possibly my Silver CGT in future ads, both filmed at Spring Mountain Motorsports ).

If I recall correctly from the rep, the PSS's are supposed to have the performance characteristics between a MPSC and the new PS3. Definitely more tread than the PS2s and MPSC, so looks like they will be far better for rain, as well as supposed to provide almost MPSC grip in the dry. THe Super Sports are the tires that are supposed to be on the 599 GTO

I believe these tires will be officially announced/released in Dubai in the coming weeks.

Press Release From another forum:

2,396 exceptional new MICHELIN tyres for the equally exceptional FERRARI 599 GTO

MICHELIN partnered with the Italian sports car manufacturer to co-develop these unique tyres in a record time of just 18 months. To enable the FERRARI 599 GTO to achieve its ful performancel potential, the tyres had to strike a balance, delivering optimal track handling and superior safety.

The extra-wide tyres come in different sizes: 285/30 ZR20 for the front and 315/35 ZR20 for the rear. Despite the generous dimensions, they are exceptionally light, with the front tyre weighing just 10kgs and the rear 15kgs. This means a weight saving of up to 10% compared to other tyres of similar dimensions. MICHELIN's lighter tyres deliver two benefits:
- they reduce unsprung weight which in turn improves handling
- they help to reduce fuel consumption and thus carbon emissions. The MICHELIN tyres designed for the FERRARI 599 GTO have up to 20% better rolling resistance than other similar tyres, enabling a reduction in CO2 emissions of up to 7 grammes per kilometer.

MICHELIN engineers developed innovative rubber compounds that ensure safe, precise handling in all conditions even when the tyres are delivering 670 horsepower from the 6-litre V12 engine. Their unique tread comprises three different compounds: a track-type compound on the outer shoulder to withstand the extreme pressure of circuit driving, a compound at the centre of the tread especially designed for superior performance at very high speeds, and an inner shoulder compound designed in combination with the tyre construction to maximize the amount of rubber in contact with the road for surer road-holding.

MICHELIN and FERRARI development engineers and test drivers worked closely together on different racetracks, in particular at Fiorano and Nardò in Italy, to validate the tyres’ performance balance which matches the chassis characteristics of the new FERRARI GTO, Ferrari’s fastest ever road car.

For the Porsche dudes, there won't be any N-Spec PS3's. I believe the N-Specs will be in this new Pilot Super Sport pattern.

I'm also guessing but the weight savings could be borrowed technology from MICHELIN's 2 Wheel Division. Why? Because the all new MICHELIN Power Pure has revolutionary Light Tyre Technology using advanced materials like Kevlar in its construction. Kevlar is a synthetic fibre which is 5 times stronger than steel, weight for weight.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:23 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

This is great news (about the more realistic PSS street tires)!!

The PSC are a waste of resources. They don't really work in ALL summer street conditions and have all the downsides of an "slick" RComp (very low grip when cold, doesn't work in standing water and hear cycle out - so useless at the track after a few 000's Ks on the street).

The Corsas are much better all rounders despite being "slower" (lower grip) than the PSC but I prefer to run them in my street cars for arrive and drive days at the track (as that is the intention with this dual purpose tires). If you are trailering and/or changing tires at the track why bother with PSCs, then why not just use Hoosiers.

I would love to try this PSS and hopefully they design the compound in such a way that despite offering lower grip it is more stable through the life of the tire thread (less sensitive to heat cycling out)
Old 11-05-2010, 04:58 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 597 Posts

unless something changed in 2010 you don't want to run tires of equal height front and rear. The factory setup on the 997's has been a rear tire that is 3% taller than the fronts. Running equal heights can cause the computer to think the rear is slipping and activate TC
Old 01-14-2011, 12:13 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

I actuallly bought the Nittos which have the exact size replacements and found them to be a great street and rain tire. For the track I run Hoosier R6s.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by thusly
Just had a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires fitted to my GT3 RS. (I lent my car to Michelin for photo shooting during SEMA: look for a blue RS and possibly my Silver CGT in future ads, both filmed at Spring Mountain Motorsports ).
Sorry to bring back an old thread.

Was still searching for rear tires option for the RS and found THIS.

Hey thusly, please give us feedback on how the PSS (it is 305, right?) performs on your RS? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,599 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinTay
Anyone swapped out their CUP Tyres?

Trying to find Mich PS2s or perhaps the new PS3s. But apparently they don't make road tires in 325/30?? Is that true? Or just where I'm from?
Not the PS3, you are referring to the Super Sport, and they are not yet available in 325/30-19

Originally Posted by 360bhp
Sorry to restart an old thread, but it's time to replace the OEM tyres on my 997 RS.2. Any new information on tyres available (PS2 or alternative) ? BTW what is the original mm tread on the new cup tyre supplied ? TIA
Super Sport

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Up here the OEM tires are the Cup or the Pirelli Corsa System. The P0 System is a better all round tire than the Cup. The Pirelli works well in the wet - the Cup is borderline dangerous in heavy rain.
+1 I love the Corsas
Old 05-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Sorry to bring back an old thread.

Was still searching for rear tires option for the RS and found THIS.

Hey thusly, please give us feedback on how the PSS (it is 305, right?) performs on your RS? Thanks.
yep same fitment as the GT3 on the 12" rears ... so Porsche think its a reasonable fit ...
Old 05-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
yep same fitment as the GT3 on the 12" rears ... so Porsche think its a reasonable fit ...
Thanks Larry. I'm aware that it will fit the 12" wheel fine, but I'm more interested in the driving part of it. If the testing had included driving the .2RS on the track and it performed fine, then I'll order a set of 245/305 to try right away. If the PSS is on the blue RS just for photos, then it is not helpful at all. Thanks again Larry.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Thanks Larry. I'm aware that it will fit the 12" wheel fine, but I'm more interested in the driving part of it. If the testing had included driving the .2RS on the track and it performed fine, then I'll order a set of 245/305 to try right away. If the PSS is on the blue RS just for photos, then it is not helpful at all. Thanks again Larry.
there are at least 2 .2 GT3RSes running the Super Sports in the 305 fitment in the One Lap of America. No reports yet but also no tales of woe!
Old 05-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I am fitting the 305/30/19 onto my GT2.

Wish me luck
Old 05-06-2011, 03:20 PM
C4S993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last Saturday bought a '07 gt3 in Chicago and drove all night to Pa home

Took to my local p dealer and they want to fail the rear Corsas

Car was sold as cpo

What is the thread depth on new Corsas

Car sold with used Corsas

Thanks

Patrick
Old 05-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
unless something changed in 2010 you don't want to run tires of equal height front and rear
I'm not sure it's really that big of a deal, but in any event please feel free to use this tool I wrote to evaluate alternative tire sizes:

http://macnugget.org/cars/tirecalc
Old 05-07-2011, 02:36 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

For DD and some track use - the Bridgestone Potenza RE 11's have been superb for me.

Quite amazing in the rain, solid dry traction for a non-R comp, and communicates well with the driver. Price is right as well.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:21 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I've replaced my MPSCs with PS2s. I barely drive the car on the street (only really to/from the track) and they are great. Of course, I swap wheels at the track.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:47 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S993
What is the thread depth on new Corsas

Patrick
The P Zero Corsa is molded with 6/32" of tread depth in its grooves and is available unshaved for use on damp tracks or shaved to between 3/32" to 4/32" of tread depth for use on dry tracks.
From: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=PZero+Corsa

Quick Reply: 2010 RS. What Tyres do u use