Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:32 PM
ebanzero
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need Help!!

Just picked up a brand new GT silver GT3. I tried to touch up and buff out a small stone chip on the front fender and ended up burning through the paint. All I used was a little Zymol HD Cleanse on a microfiber cloth. Can't believe it! there is no clear coat on this car at all. Now there is a nickel sized spot on the fender. I absolutely don't want to have the fender painted. Is there a way to blend just the spot and then clear coat over it? If so who can you recommend to do the work? i am looking for a shop that specializes in Porsches or exotics and does the work in house. I am located in the New York City area. I want a perfect job. please help...
Attached Images    
Old 04-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

in n.j try paterack brothers in chatham ray or john 973 635 5924
Old 04-19-2010, 02:09 PM
ebanzero
Instructor

Thanks,
just spoke to John at Paterek. He recommended I use Automobile Associates of Canton. Has anyone had any dealings with them?
Old 04-19-2010, 02:44 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Very sorry to hear that... I have been down that path myself with a 1991 C2 and repainting was the final result. Hopefully, they won't have to blend into the hood and door, which was the case with mine. Not good. Better find the very best shop in your area and get a professional opinion. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:24 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Something is not right...all those care are supposed to be clear coated.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:04 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm surprised John didn't take it on, of course he is recovering from a nasty fall a few months back and just in the shop again. Jim Newton at AA does nice work, its been a while since he did Concours stuff (tell him that is because I beat him and he gave up) but the track cars he is building are still of very high quality paint quality. I would recommend him of course...but I have to say that with today's metallics this will be a challenge even for the best shop!
I did a paint to sample research project for another new RS friend from a 1960's color on a 911R, the new colors have extremely fine metallic shades that are very hard to duplicate. Air pressure, humidity, etc all conspire against you. I had two samples side by side that changed colors just by tilting them at different angles! I don't want to take all the air out of your sails, just want you to be realistic about what "perfect" might mean and how difficult that will be to achieve even with factory packed paint.
Please let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:31 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you certain that the paint is damaged? Maybe take it to a high end detailer to see if they can fix it. I've never seen someone burn through clearcoat with their hand using OTC products like Zymol. Something doesn't seem right. Maybe it's some strange Zymol residue that is tough to get off?

I once put magnetic numbers on my 993TT and water got under the magnet during the track day. Upon taking off the magnets, I found a nasty stain that would not come out with anything I had at my disposal. Even the shop tried everything, but finally a detailer recommended a 3M product (can't remember if it was glaze or something else), but that got it out. I was this close to getting it repainted, but managed to avoid that.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:34 PM
ebanzero
Instructor

yeah, definitely burned through the clear all the way to the primer. Cant believe it either. I've done this plenty of times before and never had this happen.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:37 PM
ebanzero
Instructor

Originally Posted by cscrogham
I'm surprised John didn't take it on, of course he is recovering from a nasty fall a few months back and just in the shop again. Jim Newton at AA does nice work, its been a while since he did Concours stuff (tell him that is because I beat him and he gave up) but the track cars he is building are still of very high quality paint quality. I would recommend him of course...but I have to say that with today's metallics this will be a challenge even for the best shop!
I did a paint to sample research project for another new RS friend from a 1960's color on a 911R, the new colors have extremely fine metallic shades that are very hard to duplicate. Air pressure, humidity, etc all conspire against you. I had two samples side by side that changed colors just by tilting them at different angles! I don't want to take all the air out of your sails, just want you to be realistic about what "perfect" might mean and how difficult that will be to achieve even with factory packed paint.
Please let us know how it turns out.
I asked John to do it and he said that they don't really work on any current new model Porsches. Something to do with the government regulations being too much trouble. The Feds complicate everything!

What can I do to convince him?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:22 AM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm not sure, he is still probably in recovery mode but AA is capable of the same quality and probably even has nicer equipment. John is still an old school craftsman with a little old school paint booth, fantastic work but maybe not up on the latest in paint technology for newer models.
I wonder if Porsche would let you take the car back to Charleston through PDI and get them to fix it, depending on when the chip happened and how new it is? They fix an amazing amount of new cars that we never know about right there on site and do a pretty good job of it.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:54 AM
ebanzero
Instructor

Originally Posted by cscrogham
I'm not sure, he is still probably in recovery mode but AA is capable of the same quality and probably even has nicer equipment. John is still an old school craftsman with a little old school paint booth, fantastic work but maybe not up on the latest in paint technology for newer models.
I wonder if Porsche would let you take the car back to Charleston through PDI and get them to fix it, depending on when the chip happened and how new it is? They fix an amazing amount of new cars that we never know about right there on site and do a pretty good job of it.
AA sounded like they knew exactly what to do. I sent them pictures of the spot and they told me they are confident they cant blend the spot and not have to spray the whole fender. Ken will be doing the work himself. John gave them his full endorsement.

The car is brand new. The scratch just happened a week ago.

How can I contact Porsche in Charleston to fix it?

Last edited by ebanzero; 04-20-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-22-2010, 03:44 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,813 Likes on 2,382 Posts

ALL current porsches has clear coat even single stage paint is clear coated.
you must used a buffer (as opposed to by hand).
hopefully a detailer can work his magic for u.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:59 AM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have done that trying to be cute with wet sandpaper but never by hand... very odd.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:30 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost looks like the HD Cleanse was bad. I've used that many times. NO way would it ever have gone down to primer. Something is odd.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:21 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

a body shop may attempt to repair the spot and clear the area around in attempt to blend ..... or repair and clear the full fender....

either way you will be into it.

is the paint water based? if so, you will need a body shop that understands.

Quick Reply: need Help!!