Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:35 AM
cdixon
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

As stated before, burning through paintwork with HD cleanse is strange. The product is meant to have almost no cut as it is a cleaner fluid prior to wax application.

How long have you had the HD cleanse as it does go off and lumpy ?

I also managed to burn through paint on my Carrera, but it was because i used a rotary polisher with some polish.... My own fault. The problem is that the only way to get a good match is to repaint the panel :-(

When i got my Carrera new in 2008 i had a detailer take some paint depth readings. The results were quite shocking. On the metal panels the depth was around 100 microns and on the plastic front bumpers in places it was as low as 60 microns.

Anyway i am so sorry to hear about your problem, i was gutted when it happened to my new car.

Although you are angry with yourself, a decent paint shop of detailer will get it back to new in no time.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:00 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

you can alway give it a quick blast of touch-up paint and wait until another silver GT3 suffers an accident and buy the front fender off the wreck given that it is untouched.

but the odds of that happening.....
Old 04-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Steven_H
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 37 Posts

Jim Newton of Automobile Associates is a brilliant restorer. He has performed miracles for me on several cars, from a 60 Roadster to a GT3RS. NO ONE is better. I also like Paterek - he restored a car for me as well, but John is right, Newton is more familiar with newer cars.

(He is, however, in f**king Siberia - West Hartford. But it is worth it.)
Old 04-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven_H
Jim Newton of Automobile Associates is a brilliant restorer. He has performed miracles for me on several cars, from a 60 Roadster to a GT3RS. NO ONE is better. I also like Paterek - he restored a car for me as well, but John is right, Newton is more familiar with newer cars.

Sounds like a good endorsement!

I've seen similar trouble and a local, equally high caliber, paint guy was able to reverse the surface damage without using paint (most of the damage I see in those pics looks like you've "clouded" the clearcoat with a coarse cutting compound.)
Old 04-22-2010, 07:47 PM
ebanzero
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven_H

Wow! Glad to hear such a glowing endorsement. I have been speaking to ken at AA and he seems confident he can fix the problem with as little painting as possible. Thinking of installing a roll bar and six point harness while the car is there.

I know, he's so far away. 128 miles from NYC. Not sure if I want to drive it myself and put the miles on the car, or have it trucked.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:31 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ebanzero
Not sure if I want to drive it myself and put the miles on the car, or have it trucked.
You can't be serious! It's a P-car, not an F-car...
Old 04-22-2010, 09:33 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

I know, he's so far away. 128 miles from NYC. Not sure if I want to drive it myself and put the miles on the car, or have it trucked.[/QUOTE]

Drive it and deliver it in person face to face. Any excuse to do 128 miles is a good excuse in a porsche.

Definitely plan to have roll bar installed with harnesses while downtime at the body shop. One stop shop!

now, get busy ordering a clubsport bar with factory plates and Schroth harnesses!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Steven_H
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 37 Posts

Drive up the Hutch / Merritt to CT 8 North. Up to 41 East (I think) and then just a quick pop over to AA. If you leave the City at about 10:00 AM on a weekday, very little traffic, nice drive.

Quick Reply: need Help!!