Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

7GT2 Front Spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 7GT2 Front Spoiler?

Trying to decide on a front spoiler, does anyone have any before and after experience with these or others?

Looks like my choices are the 9FF, Manthey 600, Oakley, Cargraphic?
Attached Images      
Old 04-15-2010, 06:12 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know that Manthey do there testing in a wind tunnel , i dont know about the rest. But i think that you should also do a wing extension to balance the downforce.

Mantheys front spoiler adds 15kg of Downforce, while the rear wing extension adds 8kg of downforce..

They also tested the parts on the Nurburgring
Old 04-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

I have read somewhere that the Porsche engineers said in there testing the rear extension does not help at all!
Old 04-15-2010, 09:25 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I assume you only drive your GT2 at the Track b/c those lower/longer splitters don't stand a chance on daily driving.
Longer/lower is better (for downforce) for splitters usually. For floorpans, diffusers and rear spoilers is harder to tell and hard wind tunnel data is required.

My OEM plastic one has probably 5-7mm shaved away all around after 2 years of daily driving.
Will not choose a CF one for a street car (been there done that on the Exige). Plastic/rubber is better and more durable (flexible, shaveable and less brittle).
Old 04-16-2010, 06:48 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Out of the four I would say the Cargraphic kit whilst likely not specifically wind tunnel tested has the credibility of being on the CG turbo which posted very fast Hockenheim times for the Tuner GP so must work to some extent.

The Manthey stuff would be the one I would go for, theirs is wind tunnel tested and very track orientated. You need those little front arch extensions for the whole package to work.

Oakley have been involved in wind tunnel work (see link below for GT3 data) but there is a lot of smoke and BS floating around with this outfit....

http://reverie.ltd.uk/Downloads/ReveriePorscheData.pdf

9ff, claims 90kg extra rear downforce and 70kg front with their kit but what rather threw me was at our recent vmax day his 850hp 997GT2 (or it certainly appeared to be a GT2) was wearing what looked like the spoiler from the 90kg rear kit but seemed to have stock front end (see pics below) the car did 207mph so it makes me wonder exactly what the spoiler additions are doing since one would think with the big rear spoiler only the aero balance would be horrendous at high speeds ?
More than this, I personally do not trust a "tuner" who would say all the downforce numbers and then "allow" me to run with only half the kit - unless he has wind tunnel tested it in this config (which I bet he hasn't) - all a bit hicky IMHO/FWIW

Old 04-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

It would be nice to have the rubber splitter options of the 7GT3!
The 10 Cup has a really nice splitter!

Surviving with the palstic or carbon has me worried as well, even if I just drive staight to Mosport it would get scraped going into the track...this has always kept me on the fence from going for one these options.

My buddy has his modded Z06 into the 1.28's at Mosport and my biggest problem is high speed front end grip...I may have to tune it thru the shocks or consider a larger tire? I like the balance from the sway bars as is, it's nicely tied together. I guess the answer is in testing.

The Manthey type front fender lip aero piece can be had from the 10 Cup in black plastic, I have those waiting to install.

Curious how the ZR1 survives this?!

I would never go directly to Oakley, would look for the manufacture.
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2010, 02:31 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you just want a front spoiler , i would try the GT3s plastic front lip first maybe the one in the GT3 RS?

I beleive it has more down force than the GT2s front lip
Old 04-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Wish it would fit!
The bumpers look different.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:13 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- if you are going to the next level, you may as well go for real downforce - just can't see the 15kg Manthey front splitter doing it for you

- fitting rsr size slicks front and rear would drop you a few seconds very quickly (don't think just up sizing the front rubber will get you anything if you stay with street tires / Hoosiers, but Mich slicks sure would - but if I remember you are talking about keeping it streetable

- look at the rsr (big high wing and front is touching ground with dive planes) or the ACR (same thing)
- think you may have reached the point where you have to stop or jump in big time (front RSR bumper + CUP rear decklid and wing)

- i would have to guess that a gt2 with rsr type downforce and slicks (you already have the suspension stuff I believe) would do 2010cup times (1:25) at Mosport

- another angle for you to think about is to spend the money on a Bosche Race ABS module - that alone would let you come in deeper, harder and trailing the brakes much further into Turns #1, #3, #5A at Mosport (that combined has to worth 1 second easily at Mosport) - (to me this is very obvious when you watch a AMLS race in turn #1 and see where the cup cars start braking and where they trail the brakes to - adjusting for weight, this is just impossible with the street ABS module - there may be a post upcoming from a fellow rennlister to show this data (i.e. the abs module releasing the pedal force and causing significantly longer stopping distances)

http://www.allpar.com/cars/viper/2008-ACR.html
Old 04-20-2010, 11:12 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Looks like Porsche have done the front spoiler for you !

Posted as 2012 GT2 but looks like 2010 RS ?

Group buy on Cargraphic front lifting kits anyone

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...spy-shots.html
Old 04-20-2010, 11:30 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with Manthey although I like very much 9ff but both, 9ff and oakley would get rip off in no time on daily usage. On second thought, screw that and go like 997Gt3north said and go all out with the RSR front end....

Quick Reply: 7GT2 Front Spoiler?