Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

best racing harness belts for 2010 RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:06 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I see it your choice comes down to how you want to mount the belts which determines the ultimate strength of your harness system..

Schroth makes the GT3 specific system, Profi II, which mounts (2") lap and sub belts directly to the seat.

Sparco (Sabelt labeling) will require eye bolts and floor plates for sub belts, inboard laps, and potentially outboard laps depending upon your roll bar.

Now- I am told by folks with a lot more experience than me that floor mounted is the ultimate in safety and seat mounted belts are not allowed in any racing events.

I went with floor mounted and it was some work to accomplish, but I have no doubts of the ultimate strength of my harness system. My Sparco setup is hybrid shoulders (2"/3") and 3" laps.

A seat mounted system is only as strong as the four seat bolts and mounting areas. Think about it.

In a DE car is floor mounting overkill? Good question and only you can answer.
Attached Images   
Old 04-13-2010, 12:45 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Whether it's O3 or Ozone or UV or whatever, hell, just spray the belts with SPF90 (we'll all be using it before too long ... it's snowing in California in Spring for Pete's sake!) ... one way or another, if Apple can ship the iPad through five cities from China to the USA and make a profit, the race harness companies can figure out how to put new nylon together cheaper than just throwing everything into the land fill waste dump that's making that UV problem I was mentioning ...
Apple sold more iPads on opening day than there will ever be race harnesses sold in the galaxy until the end of time, times a factor of about 1000?

Originally Posted by savyboy
As I see it your choice comes down to how you want to mount the belts which determines the ultimate strength of your harness system..

Schroth makes the GT3 specific system, Profi II, which mounts (2") lap and sub belts directly to the seat.

Sparco (Sabelt labeling) will require eye bolts and floor plates for sub belts, inboard laps, and potentially outboard laps depending upon your roll bar.

Now- I am told by folks with a lot more experience than me that floor mounted is the ultimate in safety and seat mounted belts are not allowed in any racing events.

I went with floor mounted and it was some work to accomplish, but I have no doubts of the ultimate strength of my harness system. My Sparco setup is hybrid shoulders (2"/3") and 3" laps.

A seat mounted system is only as strong as the four seat bolts and mounting areas. Think about it.

In a DE car is floor mounting overkill? Good question and only you can answer.
I had what I thought was a pretty good and substantial slider mount made up for RSA #1. Didn't do so well in the crash. Thankfully it was a backward impact, and what really kept things in place was that often criticized seat back brace..................
Old 04-13-2010, 12:48 PM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Savyboy - from the second picture one can see the location of the fitting on the transmission tunnel for the right lap belt. There is an equivalent fitting for the left lap belt on the side of the shell.
Did you use those in your installation? Those should be from factory, and remove the need to fit the harness to the seat.
I have installed my Schroth harness using those fittings as well as floor fittings for the sub belt that came threaded from the factory. My car is for the European market.
There is no need to attach anything to the seat.
Hope this helps,
w
Old 04-13-2010, 01:15 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Come on Savyboy, admit it... you only bought Sparco because the blue matches your car...
Old 04-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Fred TTX50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
Old 04-13-2010, 03:48 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by wurlie
Savyboy - from the second picture one can see the location of the fitting on the transmission tunnel for the right lap belt. There is an equivalent fitting for the left lap belt on the side of the shell.
Did you use those in your installation? Those should be from factory, and remove the need to fit the harness to the seat.
I have installed my Schroth harness using those fittings as well as floor fittings for the sub belt that came threaded from the factory. My car is for the European market.
The front legs of my GMG RSR roll bar mounted to OE outboard lap belt mount point (that you refer to). The bar had a tab welded on to attach the eye bolt for my outboard laps.

There were no preinstalled threaded fitting for sub belts in my car. I wish!

Originally Posted by JAMS
Come on Savyboy, admit it... you only bought Sparco because the blue matches your car...
Yeah yeah...ok. Also matches my helmet visor...lol.

Quick Reply: best racing harness belts for 2010 RS