Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Breaking in properly...who will do it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 02:44 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
I don't think Porsche is concerned with being environmentally responsible. In recent years, the car industry has pushed towards longer service intervals to reduce costs and inconvenience to the customer. They justify this through advances in technology, i.e. better oils, better filters, better engine building and tolerances.... If someone with a hyundai is required to service once every 12,000 miles and you are asked to return your Porsche after 1000km- most would find this unusual.

Ultimately Porsche is following the general trend of the industry. Furthermore, in this day and age, they don't want your car to last forever. Therefore, if there are metal filings floating around in your engine causing fine scratches and wear for 12k miles till your first service, all the better for them. It will mean a new car or engine sale sooner... I intend on changing oils sooner rather than later.
I had to stir the pot using the oil topic. Most agree that there is no damage to the engine or transaxle by changing the oil more frequently than recommended, the old "insurance" line. The metal filings argument is back to a conspiracy theory argument. Kind of throws all that Porsche engineering, history, and bragging in the marketing information down the drain if you believe that.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:56 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JMD0977
The Carrera 3.8 engines are not hot dyno'ed anymore, but the GT3 GT1 3.8 still are at the factory.

On another note, I picked up my GT3 with 1.6 miles on the odo. First thing I did as soon as I drove off the lot, was drive less than a mile to a side road, next to some railroad tracks, and let her rip as if the cops were chasing me. Did that for about 30 miles. The next couple of days and everywhere I drove was using 75%-100% throttle, hit 170 mph multiple times, and when driving like than, revving up to 8K or so. The car was put on a dynojet, one pull was done at operation temp and it put down 413.7 whp STD correction= 404 whp SAE. (Savyboys' RS put down 413 whp on a dynojet SAE corrected, 2 different cars in 2 different dynojets and 2 different states, but same/similar break-in. Not bad at all) When I reached 500 miles, an oil change was done. The next day I put 300 miles on a 2.2 mile track
Another oil change was done after. The car is flawless.
Thanks for the answer on the GT3 engines on factory dyno, sounds like business as usual which is good.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by enthusiast
Nobody will warranty your engine if you follow their break in process except Porsche AG!
I don't follow what you've written here -- you perhaps meant to write "... if you don't follow their break-in ..." ? In any case, true in both senses. Porsche has been shown to shamelessly deny valid warranty coverage (RMS) and other manufacturers have been shown to cover engine warranty issues (Toyota) on high volume production engines that a small company like Porsche could not sustain.
... its about the whole car and the driver not just the engine cylinders.
This is an important and sometimes overlooked aspect -- the entire vehicle was built in a day with many components that need time to transition from "stored in a box" to "supporting a 450hp 3100lb track car" including the transmission.

Plenty of threads on this and most agree on:

- proper warm up

- don't 'lug' (over load) the engine with wrong gear choice and rpm too low

- vary the engine rpm within the range allowed
These three bullets, especially varying rpm and throttle position and gear, are all that I consider relevant.

I suggest 300 - 500 miles of "enthusiastic" street driving with attention to bedding the brakes and clutch. Then, somewhere before 1000 miles, a high temperature drain of the engine and transaxle oil to (help) remove the initial metal and contaminants (sealants, varnishes, paints, moisture ... all kinds of stuff shows up in the oil analysis of a new Porsche engine in the first 300-1000 miles.)

Then, give or take blue smoke start-ups or a recurring RMS problem (?) all should be well.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
Hmm, lets see... my RS break-in was the first 20 miles 1000 rpm under redline. Then 100 miles of full throttle roll ons, then 300 miles on the track with no limits except avoid actual redline by 100 rpm. Gee, sorry to hear you plan to miss the fun?

Lol...

I'm sorry, remind me again how race engines are broken in? Oh yeah, they lap the track for 2000 miles, driven gently. Where are all these engine break-in track areas for race engines? I can't seem to find them.

Or, maybe, it is a shining sea of engine break-in dynos for all these race engines? Huge industrial areas full of engine dynos breaking in race car engines.

And please point out to me one single documented instance of engine failure related to "improper break-in"? Or Trans failure? Or diff failure? Anything??? Just one, and let's document this old wives tale of gentle, sweet, loving break-in being necessary?

But hey, I am an analytical guy and love to see facts not conjecture. Guess I must be the black sheep...

Brake pads, yes, need a proper break-in to prevent glazing and green fade. And that don't happen either by driving like a scared grandma.
I see you live by example! : )
Old 04-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
... i was in a 2010 RS today. 850 miles and this is track day #3. man, i had many GT3, this is THE car.
Believe it or not; I think that car was still being driven conservatively, shifting 500-800 below red-line, easy on the brakes, slow gear shifts and generally being considerate of the mechanicals.

That was a rather unsatisfactory day at Laguna all round. Terribly poorly managed event, Laguna has really let itself fall into disrepair. Hell, they need to go over to Thunderhill to look at a properly managed venue! What's the world coming to?! And how can anyone deal with 92 dB and "two strikes, you're out" -- that's just an impossible proposition. So everyone there was running detuned cars (though some clearly just "playing the sound game") and nobody could possibly lay down consistent lap times since every turn 5 means "lift and shift" ... crazy. The vigilantes of Carmel have "quietly" won the war and Laguna has been castrated.

As for the driving, aside from one wasted session when the ambulance driver showed up an hour late for work (I guess they gave him a Latte instead of a Cappuccino, so he had to go back to Starbucks to get the right kind of frothy milk ...) all morning, not enough heat in the fronts, then one session in the afternoon and way too much heat after tasting just a couple of very enjoyable laps. What a hand-full when the car's skating around on four grease-ball over-heated tires! Thankfully, I'm sure the safeties were kicking in like mad coming down the Corkscrew ... : )
Old 04-10-2010, 08:13 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by enthusiast
I had to stir the pot using the oil topic. Most agree that there is no damage to the engine or transaxle by changing the oil more frequently than recommended, the old "insurance" line. The metal filings argument is back to a conspiracy theory argument. Kind of throws all that Porsche engineering, history, and bragging in the marketing information down the drain if you believe that.
The thinking by manufacturers back in the day was that it had to last forever as it reflected upon their reputation. These days products are engineered to fail as our economies and markets rely on turnover and sales to benefit the shareholder.

You would be nieve to believe that Porsche haven't moved with the times on this point. Look at the number of m96,m97 motors that don't make it to 100k kms without a change over. Most of these are in the hands of mature, sensible people who don't abuse there vehicle. I thrash the living crap out of my DD modified Nissan and she's like new after 200k km at 1/5 the price of a 911...
Old 04-10-2010, 11:26 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I see you live by example! : )
Did I mention I just finished 5 sessions at Buttonwillow today?

Lol...

Then Thunderhill Thursday/Friday. Right now 1400 miles on the clock. Hey, you guys come out on to the track in a few months when you get broken in ok?

I got to harass...all meant in good fun
Old 04-11-2010, 01:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,702 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Did I mention I just finished 5 sessions at Buttonwillow today?

Lol...

Then Thunderhill Thursday/Friday. Right now 1400 miles on the clock. Hey, you guys come out on to the track in a few months when you get broken in ok?

I got to harass...all meant in good fun
not fair. you got head start.
looks like i have to sleep on track to catch up with you.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:07 AM
MarekN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question - how would Porsche know that you didn´t follow the break-in procedure? Unless there is an over-rev stored in the memory, I don´t think the ECU keeps track of the actual revs, does it?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:00 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

I picked up my 10 RS and within 4 days took a road trip to Dallas (1150 miles) had the oil changed went straight to the track washed the car and the next day drove home. Car is 10 days old with 2500 miles of mixed use and varying RPMs for the first part of the journey. I really think the worst thing for these motors is not hard driving but rather lugging the motor and short drives where the car doesn't get hot. My prevoius GT3 I bought in Florida and drove to Chicago (1500) miles. Never had any problems or RMS leaks or ANY oil usage between oil changes. Maybe luck... Anyway we all have our opinions and frankly will do whatever we think is right. I think anything in the middle is fine and any extreme probably puts you in jeopardy of damage and the DREADED warranty claim with the German customer service. I hope we are all right and all the motors continue a long life at the track!
Old 04-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

I followed break-in by the book - at 2,001 miles, I let her rip!!! It was very difficult to limit myself to ~4K, but will be worth it in the long run.

Worth noting, I also did an oil service immediately following break-in. As expected, metal counts were high, but also very normal following a break-in. Blackstone recommended short oil change intervals until the car was beyond 10K. That might take a while....

Old 04-13-2010, 10:04 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Clifton
I followed break-in by the book - at 2,001 miles, I let her rip!!! It was very difficult to limit myself to ~4K, but will be worth it in the long run.

Worth noting, I also did an oil service immediately following break-in. As expected, metal counts were high, but also very normal following a break-in. Blackstone recommended short oil change intervals until the car was beyond 10K. That might take a while....
Thank you for sharing this information.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:18 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Talked to my dealer. We are going to work out a break-in plan. Working with him will cover my butt and allow me to get done much quicker!! My dealer is a very cool guy!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com

Quick Reply: Breaking in properly...who will do it?