Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3 (non-RS) vs. 997.2 GT3-RS thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 09:30 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
You know the '08 and '09 GT2 prices are way down to between $120-135K depending on options, it suddenly puts it as an option IMO.

We might want to ascertain the original posters friend's experience level first

But I feel you...shhhhh!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:36 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
So in years to come it is almost conceivable to think that the GT3.1 is going to be worth more than the GT3.2 DUE to production numbers!
Curious, why would the .1 be worth more when there were > 3 .1s produced for every 1 .2 GT3; basically 1700 to 550, respectively.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:23 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 195 Posts

To each his own... GT3 owners choose theirs for streetability/stealth. RS owners want the full beans and the rawer experience and don't mind the tradeoffs. Neither car is that "exclusive" these days given the 1,500+ WW production run for each variant, as compared to the 993/996 days when GT cars were counted in the low hundreds.

I wouldn't give up my RS for a GT3 though--big bright stickers make me go faster

Last edited by CRex; 12-20-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:06 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
Curious, why would the .1 be worth more when there were > 3 .1s produced for every 1 .2 GT3; basically 1700 to 550, respectively.
Whoops got my numbers backwards.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:39 AM
NTY
Intermediate

Personally, I prefer the standard GT3 taller gearings, DMFW and subtle look. Because my car sees more street than track. The rattles from LWFW maybe cool once in a while but it's a nuisance when you are trapped in a traffic jam listening to it. Both are great cars, to each their own.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:29 PM
s4awd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a .2 GT3 to a .2 RS. Driving wise i think the std GT3 is the better car. Ownership which is subjective, I went with the RS just because it looks like what it costs. Alot of people disagreed with my thoughts so I'll just put a link to what I wrote.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-to-gt3rs.html
Old 12-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,250 Posts

I wish I had the chance to back-to-back drive the .2 and the RS at the Ring last year, but having driven only an RS (thanks Jim) I have to say it is simply the best car I have personally ever driven.

Its hard to compare the two without having done a back to back, however I would say that in driving the RS I found the lower gearing, LWFW, and perhaps even the extra BHP to be advantageous on the track, I also think that the wider front track improves the cars handling but I cannot be sure.

Just however, to put the GT3 into perspective, I was driving an E92 M3 at the Ring (thanks Sixt) and I was patently unable to outdrive the .2's and even the .1's ... perhaps more of a reflection of the driver than the car ...

Either car is fantastic, but I think as a track car the RS has an incremental advantage over the regular car.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:40 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
Maybe I missed it, but you may have forgotten to add that another reason for the front fender arches is the fact that Porsche added front track width (w/the wider tires and wheels) and a RSR front suspension the the RS which the GT3 does not have. Although peak torque is the same max. torque is realized at 500 rpms higher, give or take.
The track increase is due to .5" wider and different offset front wheels, not different suspension components. The flares were added to keep debris from damaging the bodywork. If you really like the flares, you can buy them from your dealer's parts department with the wider front corner lights. I have both a 997 GT2 and a 997 Turbo locally that added the OEM RS flares. Keep in mind that you can easily fit 245's on 9" wheels inside the stock fenders of any 997. The rear wheels are the same width on a GT3 and an RS. On the RS, they have less offset to be placed further out and widen the rear track.

Not sure where you are getting your information, but an RS certainly does not have an RSR front suspension. GT3 RSRs are full monoball with 4-way adjustable Sachs shocks and sliding arm sway bars. Take a look here:

http://www.motorward.com/2010/12/201...e-911-gt3-rsr/

Originally Posted by NTY
Personally, I prefer the standard GT3 taller gearings, DMFW and subtle look. Because my car sees more street than track. The rattles from LWFW maybe cool once in a while but it's a nuisance when you are trapped in a traffic jam listening to it. Both are great cars, to each their own.
Whether or not the shorter gearing is better, depends on the track you drive. If you have to shift more and/or you are hitting the limiter in turns, then the gearing might hurt more than help. I have a track locally where one of our driving instructors changed from an early 2.0L S2000 to a later 2.2L S2000 and went slower. Both cars actually have the exact same gearing and the 2.2L has more torque/power at every rpm. So why does he go slower? The rev limit of the older S2000 is 8900 and the new one is 8300. With the newer one he was hitting the in and coming out of turns. With the old one and the extra revs/higher speed in each gear, he didn't need to shift until he got on the straights. This is the reason why our transmissions which were developed out of racing have interchangeable gears so they can be geared to match each track.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:35 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
The track increase is due to .5" wider and different offset front wheels, not different suspension components. The flares were added to keep debris from damaging the bodywork. If you really like the flares, you can buy them from your dealer's parts department with the wider front corner lights. I have both a 997 GT2 and a 997 Turbo locally that added the OEM RS flares. Keep in mind that you can easily fit 245's on 9" wheels inside the stock fenders of any 997. The rear wheels are the same width on a GT3 and an RS. On the RS, they have less offset to be placed further out and widen the rear track.

Not sure where you are getting your information, but an RS certainly does not have an RSR front suspension. GT3 RSRs are full monoball with 4-way adjustable Sachs shocks and sliding arm sway bars. Take a look here:

Whether or not the shorter gearing is better, depends on the track you drive. If you have to shift more and/or you are hitting the limiter in turns, then the gearing might hurt more than help. I have a track locally where one of our driving instructors changed from an early 2.0L S2000 to a later 2.2L S2000 and went slower. Both cars actually have the exact same gearing and the 2.2L has more torque/power at every rpm. So why does he go slower? The rev limit of the older S2000 is 8900 and the new one is 8300. With the newer one he was hitting the in and coming out of turns. With the old one and the extra revs/higher speed in each gear, he didn't need to shift until he got on the straights. This is the reason why our transmissions which were developed out of racing have interchangeable gears so they can be geared to match each track.
Porsche lists the front track as 12mms wider. So that's due soley to the wider wheels/tires and offset? I thought I read an article prior to the RSs release whereas it read about the RSR "type" suspension, I guess not. Too many Heineken that night?
Old 12-21-2010, 12:01 PM
NTY
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 10 GT3

I prefer its taller gearings for a slightly more relax drive on highway. I track for fun and not really into chasing time. I had a 2.2 S2000 before and I prefer its better low end torque for street drivability over the 2.0. Get the one that suits your need and everyone has different criterias. That's why there are so many 911 variants to cater for different needs.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:36 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Is it true that more .2 RS's were made than .2 GT3's....

Jason
Old 12-22-2010, 01:46 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JEllis
Is it true that more .2 RS's were made than .2 GT3's....

Jason
Refer to this post here

True that more RS's were sold than GT3s in the months since the RS' launch, but if you count the whole production run since launch there are def more GT3s than RS's.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:21 PM
cbweaver1
Racer

Question

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I haven't driven either but I am also asking myself this same question ... my "analysis" of those that have driven the RS is that the wide body, suspension differences, LWFW + engine mods and shorter
gear ratios makes the car a noticable and valuable distinction from the GT3.

I think it is also worth noting that the depreciation curve for the RS is much less than that of the GT3 if .1 prices are any indicator of future performance.

looks like the '11 base is going up to that of a well (but not blinged out) GT3, throw in PCCB and axle lift (about the only significant/costly mods on the RS) and you are up in the mid 40's ...

Is the RS a better track car, probably, is the GT3 a better street car, not clear ...

If your friend can find one and afford it, get the RS, if not get the GT3 ... either way he will not be unhappy IMHO ... YMMV.
I couldn't write it much better myself. Lower production numbers on the 997.2GT3 may make depreciation a bit better than the .1's in the long run. When making a decision it's important to keep in mind that the primary advantages of the 997.2 RS can be added to the GT3 post purchase......

Chris
2009 Cayenne
2010 GT3 (freaking love that car.....)
Old 12-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by cbweaver1
I couldn't write it much better myself. Lower production numbers on the 997.2GT3 may make depreciation a bit better than the .1's in the long run. When making a decision it's important to keep in mind that the primary advantages of the 997.2 RS can be added to the GT3 post purchase......
huh? LWFW, lower final ratio, decklid+aero, airbox etc etc, wider track?
Old 12-22-2010, 11:36 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cbweaver1
When making a decision it's important to keep in mind that the primary advantages of the 997.2 RS can be added to the GT3 post purchase......
^ I guess you're advocating a pick-and-choose upgrade strategy? I think for the Gen 1 997s that makes sense given there's less of a gap between the two cars then.

On a gen 2, if you retrofit all the stuff that Larry pointed out you'll be much better off just buying an RS upfront

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 (non-RS) vs. 997.2 GT3-RS thoughts?