Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

MKI VS MKII pads and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
First, the new steel brakes are the same sizes and use the same calipers as the 997.1 GT3 PCCBs. You should be able to use any of the steel replacement rotors and pads for PCCBs. I have done 3 track days on the new steel brakes and I absolutely love these brakes. This includes the pads. I was very shocked at how much more track oriented the new pads are. They have all the power you would ever want stopping from 140, while they are noisy and lacking some low speed stopping when not heated up. They even do a good job of putting a nice layer of pad transfer on the rotors. They feel a lot like the PF01 I used to run with lots of initial bite and a quick release. Best of all, I saw absolutely no wear on my rotors in 3 track days. The only real issue with these brakes is the factory fluid. I left it in just one day before switching to Motul 600 (it needed it).

After 3 track days, I have already made my decision: I am sticking with the factory rotors and pads. The rotors do the job and are cheaper than any aftermarket replacement. The pads are simply fantastic and I don't see any reason to go to something else. Just change the fluid and you are good to go.
are they the same also as the .2 PCCB calipers ... meaning we PCCB owners could exchange the steels for the PCCBs?
Old 04-12-2010, 01:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Thanks!

I did not have PCCB before, nor now. I am prurely comparing steel to steel MK I VS MK II.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thanks!

I did not have PCCB before, nor now. I am prurely comparing steel to steel MK I VS MK II.
Thanks, I was actually asking this of 10GT3 ... since he alluded to the PCCBs
Old 04-12-2010, 01:22 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

997 GT3 rear caliper is entirely different than a 996 GT3 caliper AND/OR the front of a 2010 997 GT3 pad is slightly different - otherwise F&R pads same between the two models. Make sense?
Old 04-12-2010, 02:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

OK, I think so.
The GT3's have the same brakes as the RS. This is the case with MKi and MKII.

Steel GT3(RS) MKI VS Steel GT3(RS) MKII
-Same rear pads..only..
-Different front pads
-Different rear rotors
-Different front rotors

right?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:00 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
are they the same also as the .2 PCCB calipers ... meaning we PCCB owners could exchange the steels for the PCCBs?
Unless there is something different with the caliper mounting, then this should be true. The front caliper on .2 steel is exactly the same caliper as the 997.1 GT3 PCCB (except painted red instead of yellow). It is a bigger caliper than the 997.1 GT3 steel brakes. Hence .1 steel pads will not interchange with .2 steel pads. The steel rotors on the .2 steel are the same diameter as the .1 PCCBs. As long as the offset is the same, you should be able to the new steel rotors as replacements on the .1 PCCB cars. The rear calipers are the same on the .2 steel as they are on the .1 steel. Only the rotors appear to be different. As far as center lock versus wheel bolts go, the new rotors have 5 holes that appear to be in the normal position on 5-lug cars. With the center locks there are 5 wheel positioning studs screwed into the hub in approximately the same position as wheel bolt holes on other 911s. Hence, it is very likely that the .2 steel rotors could be a replacement for .1 PCCBs.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:34 AM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Unless there is something different with the caliper mounting, then this should be true. The front caliper on .2 steel is exactly the same caliper as the 997.1 GT3 PCCB (except painted red instead of yellow). It is a bigger caliper than the 997.1 GT3 steel brakes. Hence .1 steel pads will not interchange with .2 steel pads. The steel rotors on the .2 steel are the same diameter as the .1 PCCBs. As long as the offset is the same, you should be able to the new steel rotors as replacements on the .1 PCCB cars. The rear calipers are the same on the .2 steel as they are on the .1 steel. Only the rotors appear to be different. As far as center lock versus wheel bolts go, the new rotors have 5 holes that appear to be in the normal position on 5-lug cars. With the center locks there are 5 wheel positioning studs screwed into the hub in approximately the same position as wheel bolt holes on other 911s. Hence, it is very likely that the .2 steel rotors could be a replacement for .1 PCCBs.
I am in the process of verifying this application. The service tech at my Porsche dealer is having a set of 997.2 steel rotors (front and rear) shipped in for test fitment. Depending on availability of the parts we should have a better idea in the next few days.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:02 AM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

According to the Porsche NA in Atlanta the 997.2 steel rotors should be a direct bolt on for the 997.1 PCCB rotors. No need to mess with any modifications or trim brake pads to fit with an after market steel rotor. I ordered a set of 380 mm cross drilled front and 350 mm cross drilled rear rotors through my service tech (I will get parts numbers) for, get this, $1900.00. They should be in by early next week. Updates to follow.

I was originally told the 997.2 steel rotors are a 2 piece configuration. Now that is not completely clear. They are cross drilled but until I physically see them I won't know if they are 2-piece. Sorry for the misinformation.

Here is the description of the standard (steel) brakes from the Porsche MY2010 GT3/RS Order Guide:

"Braking System
Redesigned 15.0” (front) and 13.8” (rear) vented and cross-drilled rotors constructed of cast iron discs (friction area) and light weight
aluminum brake chambers (hub). 6 piston monobloc red calipers – front, 4 piston monobloc red calipers – rear. ABS 8.0 – Anti Lock
Braking System, brake pad wear indicators, hand operated parking brake."

The description certainly appears to be of a 2-piece construction. However as I said previously until I physically see them I cannot be certain.

Last edited by mkozink; 04-14-2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Corrected inaccurate information
Old 04-14-2010, 04:08 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mkozink
According to the Porsche NA in Atlanta the 997.2 steel rotors should be a direct bolt on for the 997.1 PCCB rotors. No need to mess with any modifications or trim brake pads to fit with an after market steel rotor. I ordered a set of 380 mm 2-piece/cross drilled front and 350 mm 2-piece cross drilled rear rotors through my service tech (I will get parts numbers) for, get this, $1900.00. They should be in by early next week. Updates to follow.
Thanks for trying it out for everyone. Love to know if 2010 GT3/RS steel rotors will fit 7.1 GT3/RS with PCCB. Do you know if 2010 Cup car use the same street steel rotors?
Old 04-14-2010, 08:50 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

According to the Porsche NA in Atlanta the 997.2 steel rotors should be a direct bolt on for the 997.1 PCCB rotors. No need to mess with any modifications or trim brake pads to fit with an after market steel rotor. I ordered a set of 380 mm 2-piece/cross drilled front and 350 mm 2-piece cross drilled rear rotors through my service tech (I will get parts numbers) for, get this, $1900.00. They should be in by early next week. Updates to follow.
So if 997.2 steels fit a 997.1PCCB, then a steel 997.1 PCCB replacement rotor should fit a 997.2 steel.

So the PFC steel 997.1 PCCB replacements should fit a 997.2 steel
Old 04-14-2010, 09:29 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Per Mikymu:
Front set $917.66
Rear set $958.44

So the PFC steel 997.1 PCCB replacements should fit a 997.2 steel
What do the PFC's cost and weigh VS OEM?
That still leaves us without a solution for the rear besides OEM.. The rears should last longer, but now they still have a lot of holes = cracjk quicker than the fronts.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:37 AM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikymu
Thanks for trying it out for everyone. Love to know if 2010 GT3/RS steel rotors will fit 7.1 GT3/RS with PCCB. Do you know if 2010 Cup car use the same street steel rotors?
I have benefited from your posts re: PCCB to steel rotor conversion so it's the least I can do to further the cause.

Don't know about the Cup car application. The service tech should be able to answer that question. I have a call into him for other items so I will add that to the list. Will keep you posted
Old 04-14-2010, 01:48 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
What do the PFC's cost and weigh VS OEM?
That still leaves us without a solution for the rear besides OEM.. The rears should last longer, but now they still have a lot of holes = cracjk quicker than the fronts.
I can't find anyone carrying PFC rotors that fits 7.1 PCCB and 2010 GT3/RS application other than Craig at rennstore. I don't know the specifics and you need to contact Craig for detail. Funny thing is that PFC's own website don't list ANY rotor application for 997 GT3

I do have the specific information below on stoptech rotors for 7.1 PCCB via Dave Zeckhausen. You need to check with stoptech to make sure it can be used on your 2010 RS. These stoptech rotors need siginficant pad modification to fit the rotors. PFC makes modified pads for the stop tech application ... are you sitting down? Good, because they cost $600 for the front and $500 for the rear!

Front Rotor $1375 a set

22.1 pounds total per rotor assembly
380x35mm AeroRotor: 19.4 lb
Front hat: 2.15 lb
Mounting hardware: 0.2 lb

Rear rotor $1025 a set

15.9 pounds total per rotor assembly
345x28mm AeroRotor: 12.5 lb
Rear hat: 3.15 lb
Mounting hardware: 0.2 lb

"A Trophy BBK (Big Brake Kit $4045 a set for the front and $3245 a set for the rear) is simply a variant of the normal StopTech BBK, with the following differences:
1. Calipers and hats have a natural anodized finish
2. Calipers weigh about 20% less due to material being machined away and due to a different mechanism for holding the two halves together
3. In addition, Trophy Race kits come with no dust boots, no pads, and have no anti-rattle hardware in order to allow rotors full float

The Trophy BBK rotors weigh exactly the same as the non-Trophy rotors.
The AeroRotors are the same. The only difference is in the finish on
the aluminum hats. Instead of black anodizing, it's the same natural
anodizing (plus some cool laser etching) as the calipers.

The front kit uses 380x32mm AeroRotors and, combined with hats, is about
21 pounds each.
The rear kit uses 355x32mm AeroRotors and combined with hats is usually
18 pounds, but you might need to add one more pound for the heavier hat
that doubles as the drum for the parking brake."

I have benefited from your posts re: PCCB to steel rotor conversion so it's the least I can do to further the cause.

Don't know about the Cup car application. The service tech should be able to answer that question. I have a call into him for other items so I will add that to the list. Will keep you posted
Thanks mkozink for looking into the matter. Your information will help many of us looking for an economic and simple alternatives for 7.1 and 7.2 PCCB. Please weigh the rotors before install so we can compare weight gain/loss vs other alternatives
Old 04-15-2010, 10:51 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I asked my Dealer to check into this - I'm a good customer so they took it seriously and made the call to Atlanta.

The response back from Atlanta was amusing - basically, they didn't answer the question but mentioned crap about they don't know and if you try it you won't have a warranty.

Clearly, someone else has already asked the question (see above post) and they now have a legal answer ready (my guess)

My prediction is that they fit - I guess we will see very shortly.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:11 AM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikymu
Thanks mkozink for looking into the matter. Your information will help many of us looking for an economic and simple alternatives for 7.1 and 7.2 PCCB. Please weigh the rotors before install so we can compare weight gain/loss vs other alternatives
The brake parts were ordered yesterday (including a DAS roll bar ).
I asked the parts guy to provide me the parts numbers but he said they would be on the invoice. I don't know if this means anything but he did describe the brakes as "Porsche performance" parts rather than 2010 GT3 steel brake rotors, which they are. He told me they would be delivered by Tuesday but would call if there were any delays. I will make certain weights and pictures are taken before they are installed. I would normally do the installation myself but the car is CPO'd and my dealer made it clear that I can do almost anything I want to the car (short of internal mods to the engine) without effecting the warranty as long as they do the work. An acceptable trade off IMO.

Quick Reply: MKI VS MKII pads and rotors