Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2011RS: To PCCB or Not

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:22 AM
gmolinari
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011RS: To PCCB or Not

One last time on this topic as I am finalizing my order today and am torn on whether to go with PCCB option or not on new RS. Some comments on this board about this option not being worth it because you won't recoup the investment at time of sale, issues if the car is tracked and rotors need replacement, etc.

Then other comments about how an RS without this option will be less desireable/lame. It seems like the members here are 50% on each side with their new RS that have been coming in past few weeks ..

I don't plan on tracking the car heavily however I do live near lime rock and so I plan on attending 4-6 DE events per year ..

This would be my spec as it stands:

Contrasting Color - Guards Red $0
Grey Black $3,140
Black Full Leather $3,285
Lightweight Lithium-Ion Battery $1,700
Floor Mats in Interior Color $90
Steering Wheel in Alcantara Exclusive $1,105
Sound Package Plus $700
Bluetooth Hands-Free Phone $695
Universal Audio Interface $440
PCM 3.0 with Extended Navigation $3,110

help!

Last edited by gmolinari; 03-30-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: specs
Old 03-30-2010, 10:44 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

oh boy, i love this type of thread. here we go again!
I feel your pain.

Here is what i did and my recommendation.

I specced it from the beginning. Always wanted to try it and was the one option I regretted not trying in GT3.

Decided to drop it from my RS order so I could spec out PCM/Lift. (Trying very hard to be good to my wife and keep within a budget!)

Didn't feel good about the order for 2 days. Really wanted to try it. Changed the order back to include them and I actually dropped the lift/PCM (kept the stereo, bt, univ audio since its free). Slept good ever since!

So if it keeps you up at night, I recommend you order it. If not, then leave it off.

good luck with your decision!
Old 03-30-2010, 10:49 AM
gmolinari
Instructor

I think I feel the same way - I just put it in with PCCB because I'm feeling like if I didn't I would always be second guessing, and when spending this much on a car thats not a good feeling. Never having tried pccb before it seems appropriate that this would be the car to have it on ..
Old 03-30-2010, 10:51 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Don't look at options as an investment...don't even look at the car or it's options and trying to re-coupe anything. Just get the options that you really want.

If you are going to track your car then do a search on the DE and racing forum here on rennlist. Lots of info on PCCB and the cost of tracking a car with PCCB. Keep in mind the replacment rotors are big bucks...around $16,000! Most with PCCB take them off and replace with steel. The steel stops just as good on the track.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:11 PM
One of Twenty
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:51 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Such a polarizing subject...oh boy, here we go...haha

My instructor this weekend at the GG PCA event, who has 20 years of racing experience had only one comment after being in my car. The brakes.

As we all already know, the steels are just a strong in stopping power and distance. In my view it comes down to optimizing unsprung weight and rotational mass.

My 997.2 C4S PCCB's show no noticible wear after about 20 run sessions. And I show no mercy on brakes. Pad wear is approx 25%.

2010 RS PCCB's are even bigger than those on C4S. It was never in doubt for me to spec the PCCB. Like Mike said above- forget all the resale and desirabilty questions. Just do what is right for you. You can't make a "bad" decision in this case.

Good luck and congrats on your soon to be new ride! Woo-hoo!

BTW- I love my lift. No scraping were my C4S always scrapes. Works fast too.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:22 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You won't drop your lap times by running the PCCB or steel brakes, unless you're a really skilled track driver (a Pro, or one of my friends, or some friends of my friends).

Resale? Well, look and 996 and 997 GT3 used prices, no difference whether the car has PCCB or not. Actually you will get more discount requests if you sell a PCCB car that was at the track even just 5 minutes.

My choice: NO. Use the PCCB money on a better than stock braking system, but the stock brakes are already pretty good.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:42 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 138 Posts

PCCB it.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:16 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I went back and fourth between PCCB and steel and finally made up my mind to go with steel rotors. Steel is cheaper with much better stopping power and modulation. PCCB will draw more attention to your car at time of resale. I will buy another RS with PCCB only to replace it with steel and sell the PCCB and use the proceed for other mods
Old 03-30-2010, 03:21 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Steel. PCCB have zero bang for the buck.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:23 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

mikymu - by 'draw more attention to your car at time of resale' do you mean that in a positive way? I'm not terribly concerned by resale, I just want to use the car without having to worry about having to spend 10k on new rotors if I don't baby it. And again, I am not a track fiend but I do expect to do a handful of events per year.

Also, could you substantiate when you say steel has much better stopping power/modulation? My understanding was that both had comparable pedal feel and stopping distances.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

gmolinari - at resale PCCB have no value since most buyers are afraid of the stupidly high cost of replacement rotors. Have you priced replacements yet? For get the option price at purchase, ask the parts department how much each rotor costs and you'll see why many owners who track frequently swap for conventional rotors and pads.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I have driven both my GT3 with the SW 3.9 conversion and steel brakes and SW's RS with PCCB's on the same roads on the same day and at the same speeds. My steels fade, the PCCB's are perfect for backroad driving. I regred not having PCCB's on my car and if ever I order another it will have them!! Just my 2 cents on the subject!!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:35 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

Thanks - I put the order in with the PCCB. Given that 85% or more of the time I will be on backcountry roads it seems like this would be a safe play. In addition I want to at least try these once and now is as good a time as any ..
Old 03-30-2010, 09:51 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gmolinari
mikymu - by 'draw more attention to your car at time of resale' do you mean that in a positive way? I'm not terribly concerned by resale, I just want to use the car without having to worry about having to spend 10k on new rotors if I don't baby it. And again, I am not a track fiend but I do expect to do a handful of events per year.

Also, could you substantiate when you say steel has much better stopping power/modulation? My understanding was that both had comparable pedal feel and stopping distances.
Yes, you will get slightly more on resale with PCCB compare with steel and many have the same mentality as you that they want to "try it out" to see what this is all about - why not ... I felt the same way when I was looking for a RS.

Many have different opinion on PCCB vs steel and only you can decide what's best for you. By my personal experience, steel brakes stop in less distance without fade and has excellent modulation - not on and off like PCCB and this is true for me both street and track and I have tried ALL possible brake pad combinations with PCCB.

Quick Reply: 2011RS: To PCCB or Not