triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Nothing else even remotely considered.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:29 PM
U4IA187
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sure you have noticed the long term viability of the GT3, even when its frequently tracked. It's truely the car you can drive to and from the track AND have a great day On track (if your pads and rubber hold up) The exige is very close to that dependabilty from my experience, but it certainly wont offer the same amenities. The exige is quite spartan. The Z06 is an awesome car, but I had alot of problems with mine and it couldnt handle the routine track abuse out of the box. Granted ANY track time in ANY car is better than work, I would still choose the GT3 as my weapon of choice. I had considered the M3 as well, but sadly I havent pulled a trigger on that one yet. Too many tracks, too little time.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:02 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rmag
Thought about a 996 Cup Car/M6 Cab track/street combo instead
Great calls

M6 Cab is a really great car. 6-Cups are great fun!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:04 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only car I would consider purchasing over and over and over again. Driven the F430 and the Gallardo, awesome cars; however, they are just too pretty for me to track on a regular basis. I know the 3 can handle the track use without any question; indeed, already looking for the next RS to join the family.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:49 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before making the decision to order my GT3, I considered the following:

1. Lambo Gallardo (no. 1 alternative and good performance, reliabiltiy and in budget)
2. Ferrari F360 (have not owned a Ferrari, maintanance and repair comments scared me away)
3. Ferrari 550 (same as #2)
4. Ford GT (just out of budget, they have held value surprisingly well)
5. Ferrari F430 (dead reliable, but out of budget)
6. Aston Martin Vantage 4.7l (beautiful touring car, just lacking some handling and power)
7. Used 997.1 Turbo
8. Used 997.1 GT3

I never considered a Z06, ZR1 or Viper. First, my insurance company will not underwrite a Viper due to the accident rates and average repair costs. A Z06 means a lot of prep for the track as the brakes are not very track worthy and the suspension needs some work. I drove a ZR1 and it simply has too much torque for the chassis. I could not seeing driving a car that is constantly fighting me. I also never considered any of the Lotus cars (Exige or Elise). Bottom line is there are too slow. I was always leaving them in the dust in my Carrera.

What it came down to was track focus. I instruct and do a lot more track driving. The fact is none of the above list is going to be as fast as a 997.2 GT3 around a track. No other car is as durable, as capable and as reasonable to own for the track as a GT3. If I was looking more for just s street car, I would have gone with a used Gallardo or 997 Turbo.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:04 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I had been considering either a new or used GT3 as the next in a succession of 911s after deciding the 997.2 has become too refined for my tastes, but I'm going to go with a Boxster Spyder instead this time 'round.

I think the Spyder will be a surprise track monster. Especially with PCCB. And PDK (hush you blasphemer!). See you there friend, with both of us having ear to ear grins... I will take mine in White and red interior with sport buckets! Woo-hoo!

Originally Posted by U4IA187
Granted ANY track time in ANY car is better than work, I would still choose the GT3 as my weapon of choice. I had considered the M3 as well, but sadly I havent pulled a trigger on that one yet. Too many tracks, too little time.
Ha! Well said.

Not M3 but a 335i with some thoughtful suspension tweaking and track tires was VERY strong this weekend. The man (Jan) was very fast and my hat is off to him. Handicapped by lack of LSD and overheating problems, but so very quick when he was in his sweet spot. The chassis has potential. And this body in 2 door looks so good.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:53 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i was looking for a track toy and something that i could have a full cage for racing but still be able to drive on the street. i did not want to trailer a car, and i did not want something that was low tech or common.
I wanted something exciting, yet easy to drive.

i was looking at 996 CUP cars and 996 GT3 street cars until i discovered the CLUBSPORT roll bar/sport option from porsche. Simply bolt in and go from the factory!

I could have very easily bought a 996 GT3 and clubsported it, however since the RS had no sunroof and i really loved the 997 line up being current, i figured it was the best car for me and this race hobby.

As an alternative if i didnt require a cage, it would be F430 scud.

the lambos, Audi R8's are not of interest to me, nor the Z06 vette.

The viper ACR was definitely something i liked, however it is no Porsche 911.

Astons are awesome, but not the tracking type of auto for which im into.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:05 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to track my 2006 M3 until I got sick and tired of being passed by GT3 lol. My goal every time I track used to be looking to pass a grandma driving a Porsche so I can make myself feel better. After going the full CSL route with my M3 and exhaust all option on weight loss w/o stripping the interior (I got down to 3180 lbs) I wave the white flag and bought my RS

Here are couple options I considered before getting my RS:

1. Z06 - wicked fast with mind bending torque but I can't live with the interior. Bad driving position and that front hood is as long as a school bus

2. E92 M3 - not that much faster than my E46 M3, heavy as hell with thirsty V8. Slow sequential. Look like a Toyota lol

3 Ferrari 360 challenge or 430. Took one look at the maintenance cost and moved on

4. Lotus - super cheap to maintain but very small. I will have more enjoyment by stripping my E46 M3

5. Ariel Atoms - Lotus on meth lol. Can't go grocery shopping

6. Audi in any form ... not felling it.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:13 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikymu
I used to track my 2006 M3 until I got sick and tired of being passed by GT3 lol. My goal every time I track used to be looking to pass a grandma driving a Porsche so I can make myself feel better. After going the full CSL route with my M3 and exhaust all option on weight loss w/o stripping the interior (I got down to 3180 lbs) I wave the white flag and bought my RS

Here are couple options I considered before getting my RS:

1. Z06 - wicked fast with mind bending torque but I can't live with the interior. Bad driving position and that front hood is as long as a school bus

2. E92 M3 - not that much faster than my E46 M3, heavy as hell with thirsty V8. Slow sequential. Look like a Toyota lol

3 Ferrari 360 challenge or 430. Took one look at the maintenance cost and moved on

4. Lotus - super cheap to maintain but very small. I will have more enjoyment by stripping my E46 M3

5. Ariel Atoms - Lotus on meth lol. Can't go grocery shopping

6. Audi in any form ... not felling it.

good list, however im told the F430 dosnt require an engine out service $$ like the old F360......
Old 03-30-2010, 02:25 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
good list, however im told the F430 dosnt require an engine out service $$ like the old F360......
Thanks. Your logic makes sense too. F430 maintenance is slightly less than 360 but a set of brake pads will set you back couple grand ... ouch!

It's hard to beat a GT3 for street and track plus that special feeling every time you buckle in your RS
Old 03-30-2010, 02:29 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Your logic makes sense too. F430 maintenance is slightly less than 360 but a set of brake pads will set you back couple grand ... ouch!

It's hard to beat a GT3 for street and track plus that special feeling every time you buckle in your RS

yeah, you got me there!
Old 03-30-2010, 05:27 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You would be surprised, but those brake pads prices are a bit misleading. The US Ferrari dealers have a high mark-up on parts, prices for original parts in other markets are comparable to Porsche prices for the typical consumables: tires, wheels, rotors (Except CCB), brake pads, shocks, springs, sway bars, etc.

The one time I bought pads for my Scuderia CCB, I bought 5 sets (original Ferrari pads made by Brembo). Let's say that I would not buy $2k pads. The original set is in boxes at full thickness, the first track set shows 80% left in the front and 90% left in the rear after 2 track days, plus thousand of miles on street and quite a few autocrosses.

The GT3 clutch last twice as long as the F1 transmission clutch, and there are different prices for the clutch job for a F430 (I won't disclose my source for this job, but it costs the same as a Porsche GT3 clutch job, and it is easier to replace).

The e-diff lasts a lot longer in F430 compared to the GT3 crappy diff. The ECU informs when the F-car LSD needs to be replaced, so far tracked 360CS and 430 have not replaced their diff. Diff job, around $3k.

engine oils, trans oil, brake fluid changes are free is you know how to do your stuff.

So far, my Scuderia has the lowest maintenance cost compared to the GT3 and GT3 RS, and I just got it back from the full year service.

Now, if you include body parts in your budget because going Agricultural is in your typical track schedule, be ready to pay. All the F430 body panels are made of aluminum, some cars have carbon body panels, here the budget goes to the roof, be ready to pay.

If you want to track your Ferrari on CCB brakes, well expect the same life as the PCCB rotors, but replacement rotors are cheaper (unless you want to do it at your Ferrari dealer and set back $32k for a brake job).
Old 03-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
You would be surprised, but those brake pads prices are a bit misleading. The US Ferrari dealers have a high mark-up on parts, prices for original parts in other markets are comparable to Porsche prices for the typical consumables: tires, wheels, rotors (Except CCB), brake pads, shocks, springs, sway bars, etc.

The one time I bought pads for my Scuderia CCB, I bought 5 sets (original Ferrari pads made by Brembo). Let's say that I would not buy $2k pads. The original set is in boxes at full thickness, the first track set shows 80% left in the front and 90% left in the rear after 2 track days, plus thousand of miles on street and quite a few autocrosses.

The GT3 clutch last twice as long as the F1 transmission clutch, and there are different prices for the clutch job for a F430 (I won't disclose my source for this job, but it costs the same as a Porsche GT3 clutch job, and it is easier to replace).

The e-diff lasts a lot longer in F430 compared to the GT3 crappy diff. The ECU informs when the F-car LSD needs to be replaced, so far tracked 360CS and 430 have not replaced their diff. Diff job, around $3k.

engine oils, trans oil, brake fluid changes are free is you know how to do your stuff.

So far, my Scuderia has the lowest maintenance cost compared to the GT3 and GT3 RS, and I just got it back from the full year service.

Now, if you include body parts in your budget because going Agricultural is in your typical track schedule, be ready to pay. All the F430 body panels are made of aluminum, some cars have carbon body panels, here the budget goes to the roof, be ready to pay.

If you want to track your Ferrari on CCB brakes, well expect the same life as the PCCB rotors, but replacement rotors are cheaper (unless you want to do it at your Ferrari dealer and set back $32k for a brake job).
Interesting stuff. I had no idea that car was so bullet proof.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
There is *no* substitute.
I concur, esp for price etc

Quick Reply: GT3 competitors