Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Enjoy for years for come.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Max Power
Racer

Bob,
It's beautiful. Enjoy it in good health!

Old 03-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

It's not real until you change your avatar.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Congrats Bob - I know it is early but can you compare the 997.1 RS to the new one?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:55 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Baron
Congrats, Bob.

Are you keeping your silver RS as well ?
He sold his silver RS but last I herd, his wife who's also an instructor, still has her white gen 1 RS.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

First impressions - based on only about 25 miles

Doors close with more solidity! No rattle from the window. Something changed for sure. While not quite the bank vault clunk of the 993, the doors close with a sound more akin to a framed window design.

Brake pedal is high and feels more assisted than the 07 or even my 09 4S. Clutch effort is pretty much the same as the 07 RS.

Tapping on the roof (knuckles) indicates sound deadening, unlike the 996 GT3 which "rings" like a gong. On the other hand, nooise levels in the car are high, much more than the 07 RS. My investment in Bluetooth is likely wasted! At cruise, the noise level is high! Someone suggested ear plugs for long drives, and I'm thinking about it!

The GT2 seats are comfortable and fit pretty much like the 996 GT3 single piece buckets. Nice! Perfect for track.

Gearbox is notchy as others have observed. Effort is fairly high but the throws are very precise.

The shorter ratios are very obvious, 6th gear is usable cruising at 60 MPH whereas in the 07 6th was only for cruise at illegal speeds.

The ride is more compliant, tolerable even on our bombed out roads. The revised spring rates are noticeable. Haven't tried the "sport" shock setting yet.

The front spoiler is low and I scraped in places where the 07 had no issues. I'm thinking that I should have gone for the lift kit!

Even in non spirited driving, the car turns in better than the stock 07. I suspect that the lawyer mandated understeer has been dialed out. The 07 needed alignment plus a GT2 rear sway bar to cure the vicious understeer. Nice! I can't wait to see what it does on a track, but that's a month or so away.

The exhaust makes wonderful sounds with the "sport" button pushed. It sounds louder than the 07, and I hope I don't have issues with noise limits at the track. The 07 passed but by a slim margin - 92 dB at 50 feet. I hope this one passes!

The wide tires are subject to serious tram lining. To be expected since the grooves in our highways were not made by 325's!

Shades of the 996 GT3, you can hear the springs moving in their perches on tight turns.

The LWFW is noisy as expected. Noise levels in the car seem a bit higher than the 07 so some sound deadening material must have been removed.

I ordered the Alcantara sun visors in the hope that those hideous air bag warning stickers would be easy to remove. I was right and mine are gone after five minutes of finger-nailing

Bluetooth sync'd with my Blackberry, no problem. I could not download my contacts (worked fine in the 09 C4S). Apparently PAG is aware of the problem and working on a fix. Not a big deal.

The big wing set in its default position reduces visibility to the rear. It is angled more than the 07 RS and takes some getting used to. On the previous car if you left the wing at the neutral (flattest) setting it hardly affected the view to the rear. As delivered the new RS wing is angled enough to impede rearward vision. Be careful backing out of the driveway!

More as I get through break-in.

Best,
Old 03-30-2010, 01:29 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Just off the truck. Still wrapped. No plates for the half cage but the rear seatbelt anchors are still there so the tequipment bar will work.
Congratulations Bob. Great car (I wish I could say beautiful car, but those darn colors...)
Old 03-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,613 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
I think Ryan's belt install is the way to go. I am now really unhappy with how my GMG experience has been. I am still stuck with passenger side harness belts and no answer on how to attach them to the roll bar. After all I went through and still need two $2 dual slotted fittings to finish it up and make the should harnesses fit the bar. $300 labor to pay for trying to fit a first bar that was not made correctly. And the suggested and supplied 3" lap belts are a bear of a fit in the seat holes.

I think Ryan's set-up is better than mine from a number of standpoints.

Is my install super safe and does it serve it's intended purpose? For sure. Is it the best solution? I can't say so
Which GMG bar do you have and what exactly is your mounting/attachment problem, I *may* be able to help?
Old 03-30-2010, 04:37 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Good write up Bob! Mine is on the boat!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 03-31-2010, 12:44 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

Thanks for the write up! The loudness is good news to me, always ran my sharky unplugged, maybe this one will be loud enough as-is.
Going to see it first time Saturday to get the seat moved back.

Today they tinted the windows and clear wrap on spoiler and lights.

Next week roll bar, seat belts, fire extinguisher, V1 and Laser blacker and satin white wrap...and finally pick it up and brake the car in.

The week after Traqmate and Chasecam HD upgrade, torque wrench and wheels / tires and maybe take it on track if it all works out..
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2010, 02:47 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

The front spoiler is low and I scraped in places where the 07 had no issues.
I think I will drive it for a couple of weeks after corner balance and lowering before I put the CUP lip on...
Old 04-01-2010, 12:17 PM
ebijan
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Just off the truck. Still wrapped. No plates for the half cage but the rear seatbelt anchors are still there so the tequipment bar will work.
Beautiful... Congrats.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I think I will drive it for a couple of weeks after corner balance and lowering before I put the CUP lip on...
Is there a pic or comparison of the street '10 RS chin spoiler vs the Cup car item?

The RS is already good, but it seems like if you "box" it before it gets scratched, then run the Cup car part, it can be a "wear item."
Old 04-01-2010, 08:09 PM
KenW
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Hoowee!
Better tougher and faster looking than ever!
Very nice, use it as always, in good cheer!
Ken
Are Alcantara visors faster than standard?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Ken, I have it on the highest authority that the Alcantara sun visors are guaranteed! to reduce lap times by 1.6541 seconds! Ya gotta get some!

Quick Reply: My RS Arrived