Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant wait to see what time it puts down
Old 03-24-2010, 05:30 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
With MPSC, brakes work fine. With slicks, I get into ABS ice mode quite easily under heavy braking, so I change my braking style to get around the problem. The slicks made the brakes fail at these three tracks. Cost to fix the brakes problem way too high. Cost to fix the car due to wreck caused by brakes problem, even higher. You need to apply brakes sooner and with less pressure when running slicks, anyway the extra grip from the tires slows down the car even quicker.

I have also experienced brake problems with the 07RS and my older 04 GT3 and A6 tires at autocrosses.
Interesting, I had not heard of this problem with the RS.
I am intimately aware of issues with a stock 997, mostly due to track prepared cars that have removed components such as the steering angle sensor. It makes the ABS go haywire, even "brake checks" itself and pulls the wheel left and right on start up. We fixed our problems in two ways, either replacing the control unit with a racing ABS controller (ie-expensive but failsafe), or correcting the basic issues created from prepping a track car from a street car.
I assumed that the higher parameters with the RS ABS and SC systems corrected any issues with tire changes, I just can't see why slicks would throw it off that much.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

How cool, my car in my colors running in between race cars at the 24 hours at the ring. Awesome.

SOMEONE FIND OUT WHERE TO GET THOSE DAMN WHEELS?
it appears to me that the hub and CL is the street version, so we only need to get the wheels.
I've communicated with both BBS and CCW. No word yet..

I have a few buddies running slicks, no problem with ABS....
I don't plan on running them, but I'd like to find out more. I have seen a 996 GT3 have issues with slicks where the ABS quit and the car locked up all 4 and hit the wall.... I was behind the car....
Old 03-24-2010, 05:56 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i know its more of a marketing exercise but i look forward to seeing what the porsche engineers learn and apply to the next RS possibly closing the gap even more between cup and street car.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:02 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
How cool, my car in my colors running in between race cars at the 24 hours at the ring. Awesome. .
ah.... it has decals, you dont
decals make it faster....

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I've communicated with both BBS and CCW. No word yet...
me too. but if you hear any new news. let me know. those wheels look great.

u got pm
Old 03-24-2010, 06:14 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With MPSC, brakes work fine..
add some bumps / change of load and unfortunately not true

Cost to fix the brakes problem way too high. Cost to fix the car due to wreck caused by brakes problem, even higher.
this has to be the quote of the year

You need to apply brakes sooner and with less pressure when running slicks .
- this is where i somewhat agree / disagree
- i have found it to be entirely corner dependent - if the braking zone is flat and straight or uphill and straight then the ABS can handle any type of tire, if this is not the case (bumpy, downhill, flat or uphill but then less so halfway into the brake zone) then you will get some form of ABS intervention - the degree of which can be mild to extreme
Old 03-24-2010, 06:37 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Don't think it matters too much. Few people track a BONE stock GT3.
It matters because what is the point of running the street car then? PCCB and tire swap is wrong, run it like they sell them with the added safety items.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:38 PM
GT2Driver
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The bone stock 2010 GT3 RS will run the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring on slicks

NJ-GT,

How did you estimate the lap time ( sub 7:20 )?
Old 03-24-2010, 06:49 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by enthusiast
It matters because what is the point of running the street car then? PCCB and tire swap is wrong, run it like they sell them with the added safety items.
PCCB banned so they can not run it. If they "raced" on street tires they would be coming in every few laps to change the tires and the street tires getting as hot as they would with the pounding they will take would not be predictable enough to do door to door activity.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

What about the diff?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:23 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp
What about the diff?
good point
Old 03-24-2010, 07:24 PM
fun2k
Racer

stock brakes cant be used for racing and slicks cant be used for street so the only thing they are actually tweaking is the springs then?still i dont think any car can win or even participate in serious racing event straight out of the factory.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GT2Driver
NJ-GT,

How did you estimate the lap time ( sub 7:20 )?
I was thinking the samething!

I doubt on slicks alone the RS will even hit 7:24! Let alone approaching what the Viper ACR can do; that car is a monster!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:30 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree, adding bumps to the braking zone, and not even braking earlier and softer prevents the ABS to go nuts. I had that problem at the old Lime Rock end of the straight with the 996 GT3, I also got it running Streets of Willow CCW.

My estimated 7:20 Nurburgring time comes from running MPSC (race spec not the n-spec) 265/345 and Michelin slicks (240/270) at three tracks, using both tires the same day. Per minute of track time, the slicks dropped 2 to 2.5 secs. At Streets of Willow full course with bowl CCW, my RS dropped 3 secs, at CalSpeedway 5 secs, at Vegas Speedway almost 4 secs. Everything with Traqmate data recorded. So, with the unofficial time for the stock 2010 RS (7:33 or so), and using a 2 secs faster time per minute on the Cup slicks, the car should get under 7:20s.

However, in the 24Hr race they use the F1 GP circuit as well, so the lap times are even longer. It would take a video of the 2010 RS to estimate the time spent on the F1 circuit, reduce that time from the fastest 24HR race lap, and add the few seconds that happen between the entrance and the exit of the F1 GP circuit from the big North loop.

By the way, the race spec MPSC are faster than the n-spec MPSC, so a difference between n-spec MPSC and Cup slicks of 2 secs per 60 secs of track time is way under rated, most likely the difference is 3+ secs.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:42 PM
atleung
Instructor

Originally Posted by mooty
me too. but if you hear any new news. let me know. those wheels look great.

u got pm
Hey, mooty, have you ordered this yet? I heard Ryan placed an order already.

BTW, I sent you a PM regarding BBS.

Quick Reply: The bone stock 2010 GT3 RS will run the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring on slicks