AIM data acquisition system install [pics]

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:24 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AIM data acquisition system install [pics]

Hi guys,

Got the car back from the shop, feels great to be behind the wheel of this awesome machine again. Haven't had the chance to test out the new Guard LSD stack or the Endless brake fluid, but the car feels so so so good to drive.

I'm really apprehensive of mods and usually keep things pretty close to stock, making concessions only when the stock part is not meeting the functional needs for my specific requirement. I took the car into www.euautowerks.com for the AIM install and am incredibly impressed with what they came up with.

The design brief was:
1. Install the EVO4 near the vehicle's centre of gravity
2. Dash should be removable in less than 30 seconds with no tell-tale signs it was there; dash should not block real dash
3. GPS antena should be part of the interior and should not require placement during track days
4. DAS needs to be switchable so that if I don't bring a laptop to the event, the data does not get overwritten with my drive home
5. USB cable needs to somehow be accessible but also hidden

When I originally met with Courtney, I said I wanted to install the EVO4 head unit under the rear panel near the ECU so I could remove/re-install the carpet to get to it at track events. I'd then run the wires up to the dash and to the USB connector. Courtney didn't feel this would be the best approach and to let him come up with some alternatives.

Him and Lawrence installed the EVO4 on the panel near the ECU and ran the wiring up through the centre console for the USB connector and installed a switch so I can turn the unit off and on, without removing any rear panels. For the dash, they came up with an ingenious use of the cup holder and ran the cable along the centre console and transmission tunnel.

It turned out amazing! I love the way it looks and how easy it is to put away when using the car on the street. The dash isn't very heavy so the cup holder should be fine.

I datalogged my drive home (you can see the google earth view of my drive home below!) and these are the channels available:

Vertical g's
Lateral g's
Longitudinal g's
RPM
Throttle Position Sensor
Individual wheels speeds (imagine the fun I can have here with Math channels!)
Engine coolant temp
Engine oil temp
Engine oil pressure
Steering angle
Steering speed
Brake switch
Gear selected
Fuel level in litres
Battery Voltage
GPS lateral g's
GPS heading
GPS gyro

Thank you to Courtney at EU Autowerks (www.euautowerks.com) and to Joe Cooley (www.circuitmotorsports.com) for their help. Here are the install pics. Look at what an awesome job they did!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Gus F
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great installation!!,
Please let us know how everything works at the track, screen position and readability looks good!!. Hope the software delvers good and easy to use information.
will you have a camera installed, what about a HD camera?
Keep us posted!!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:22 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

I am jealous of all the inputs yoiu have access to (steering angle and wheel speed and such) I will switch from Traqmate at some point
Old 03-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Like I said in the email. That install looks GREAT. And like TDM above I am very jealous of all the easy datastreams you have. I have so many wires going into the box compared to that.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

I've seen plenty pro installed but thus takes the cake. Other shop should really study this and learn from it
Old 03-24-2010, 05:03 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Gus, I got an AIPTEK GVS with the Dayton wide angle lens so I'm hoping to overlay the AIM data using Trackvision on the videos. I also used the rennlist archives to build a Frankencharger so the camera operates off the cigarette lighter. The limitation with my previous setup was battery life, so this should be easier to manage.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:13 PM
BelMaseto
Intermediate

Great install !!!

How the dash is placed in the cupholder ? Custom work ?

Regards.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:11 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

BelMaseto, they made a metal tube that goes down into the hole and also mounts to the back of the dash. To protect the cup holder, they wrapped the bottom portion of the metal with a simple rubber hose! The hose is currently blue, but they've ordered a black one so it's totally stealth. The fit is nice and tight and won't scratch or damage anything.

Quick Reply: AIM data acquisition system install [pics]