Received 5,801 Likes on 2,376 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
here is an example of "classic" heel/toe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=IuoZeuSgEj4&

note how the heel is lifted from the floor, the foot is rotated anti-clockwise,
and the heel stabs the accelerator to match revs as the clutch is released

in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=H3ULS7pnxyg

you see the "roll" technique where the ball of the foot/big toe is braking and the foot is "rolled" blipping the accelerator ...

I have never been able to master the 1st variant since it requires considerable skill to maintain a constant pressure on the brake pedal while lifting and rotating your foot ... if you dont maintain constant pressure then the resulting
change will likely cause a couple of weight transfers which aren't good
i do this first type.
haven't figured out 2nd type yet.
i like first type b/c no matter the ht relationship b/n throttle and brake pedal, i can keep my toe on brake and LIFT my heel to get to the throttle. you wont be able to do that if you are rolling your foot. i think this is why some complain that the two pedal are at different height. the height makes no difference to me.

i am size 9.5 shoe.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:18 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,801 Likes on 2,376 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
That's about the gist of it.

It's a quicker downshift and the gearboxes are more than strong enough to do all the work these days. It's surprisingly difficult to change old habit, though!

One advantage is that you can "feel" the syncro engagement and get an early warning of a mis-shift (eg. getting 2nd instead of 4th) just by the resistance of the syncro's ... conversely a full double-de-clutch will mean the gears will engage almost without resistance and will potentially disguise a mis-shift.
the technique ADias described is how i now do it.
there is no point releasing the clutch before and after each shift. double clutching in modern syncro boxes are waste of time, that's what i used to do and was told to STOP it.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:26 PM
alvinjamur
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Double clutching is required only in non-syncro-mesh cars. Most modern cars have syncro-mesh transmissions so don't require double clutching...which is a waste of time.

- aLV
Old 04-30-2010, 09:05 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw, how did this work out? feel more comfortable on the track? i find that the bite of the gt3 brake system is so significant that you really cant practice heel toe other than on a track as the car will slam to a hault wihtout you even getting the foot low enough.
like you, i roll , so i used a rennlist pedal and shimmed up the power portion a bit. when im really slamming on the stoppers, i roll the top and have no issues, the shimmed up portion i dont get near, just the top. when im on the street, i can go more with the heel and hit the raised pedal just a bit.

rennlist makes a riser kit also for the pedals gets it up a bit.
might be worth considering and you can lower the pedal little by little very easily as the pads and things wear, or as you really start kicking the pedal through the floor. perhaps.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Hopefully I won't have to modify pedals, but my last Gt3 came with Rennline or something pedals and they did make it easier.
I thought I was pretty good rolling my foor "deeper" to the right to blip the throttle pretty precisely, but I can't even reach the throttle in the RS.
I tried again on the way home, the pedal is just too high/too far to the right, if I go to the right far enough I slip of the brake pedal

I will find out on track with a bit grippier shoe's, a bit deeper and further back from the pedals and at treshhold breaking to see if it gets better..
Old 04-30-2010, 09:31 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

I think you mean rennline. I will likely try it.

I had no problem on track, even taking it very easy on the brakes. Still can not do it on the street.
I usually get a softer pedal on the track, so I should be fine, but if I hit the brake to often too far to the left I might raise the throttle pedal or add an extention on the left side of the throttle pedal.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:34 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, rennline. they have that riser kit. 4 bolts which you can set up the pedal anyway you like. for you, i'd set it up so the lower portion of the pedal is up sinc you're not so aggressive on the pedal on the street. my one concern was that the rennline pedal, plus the riser kit, adds to much height. so far, hasnt really been an issue.

those things are cheap enough to give it a shot and if a no -go, blow them out.

later.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I think you mean rennline. I will likely try it.

I had no problem on track, even taking it very easy on the brakes. Still can not do it on the street.
I usually get a softer pedal on the track, so I should be fine, but if I hit the brake to often too far to the left I might raise the throttle pedal or add an extention on the left side of the throttle pedal.

Quick Reply: Heel/Toe in RS