Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Heel/Toe in RS

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 03:56 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heel/Toe in RS

Seems like there are a few comments from new RS owners that indicate heel/toe is tricky/impossible with standard pedal config in the RS. These comments so far have come from PCCB owners, and there have been lengthy discussions already about the pedal travel (or lack thereof) in PCCB cars.

Since I am in the process of seeking out an incoming RS, or perhaps building a 2011 I would like to know if the heel/toe issues also exist with RS owners that have selected the standard iron brakes.

thanks
Old 03-23-2010, 04:10 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They've changed the pedal positioning from the 997.1?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

997.1 owners with PCCB have complained about the brake pedal being too high. Steel brakes like mine were fine. My new RS is en route from the port so I can report soon. I went with steel brakes since I am not a fan of PCCB.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:46 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
997.1 owners with PCCB have complained about the brake pedal being too high. Steel brakes like mine were fine. My new RS is en route from the port so I can report soon. I went with steel brakes since I am not a fan of PCCB.
Thanks, Bob

I didn't find H&T that bad on my 08 RS w/PCCBs - the PCCB sensitivity takes longer to adapt to.
Every car I've ever owned seems to take some transition time.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:51 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't read Walter Rohrl complaining, so if it is ok for him it is ok for me.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:30 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Never had an issue with my '07gt3(steel) on track. Now have a'10RS(steel) and pedal feel seems the same (although haven't gotten on track yet). I think a lot of people are trying to heel toe while driving passively on the street where yes, it is practically impossible. On track no issues because you do it a lot more abrupt and firm.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I find that I am much better at H-T in my 986/996 than in my 997, both with steel brakes. I actually don't like the 997 pedal positioning that much.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

rmag - I agree! I cannot heel and toe on the street since I don't brake hard enough to make it possible. On the track is another matter
Old 03-23-2010, 06:59 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned to heel/toe on my mother-n-law's Yaris in France several years ago. Since, I can heel/toe just about everything and do so in everything I drive that has a stick. Never had an issue with the RS.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 03-23-2010, 07:01 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rmag
Never had an issue with my '07gt3(steel) on track. Now have a'10RS(steel) and pedal feel seems the same (although haven't gotten on track yet). I think a lot of people are trying to heel toe while driving passively on the street where yes, it is practically impossible. On track no issues because you do it a lot more abrupt and firm.
+1

I never had h&t problems with my 996 or 997 both on PCCB and steel brakes.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:12 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a lot of people are trying to heel toe while driving passively on the street where yes, it is practically impossible. On track no issues because you do it a lot more abrupt and firm.
I agree, and that is exactly how I feel since the 997.1 introduced.

How do I say it.... To heel-toe well on street, we need to maintain a sense of 'intensity' like on track -- maintain good rpm, brake later & harder (when brake harder, the brake pedal will be in perfect level for the gas pedal), stomp the gas pedal (with some good right foot rotation for smaller shoe size folks), shift like we mean it (shift too slow, the rpm drops), and finish the whole heel-toe in a more abrupt-and-firm action like on track.

It will take us a while to practice and do it well, yet once we get it we will feel like a natural reflect. Yes, it is easier to say than do... practice is the key.

Sorry for my poor explanation, hope it helps.

With best regards,
Old 03-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Stockholm996TT
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep in mind that a PCCB brake pedal will settle at a lower position after the first serious track outing. After that it should not be a problem with heel toe.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:37 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With PCCB's, I didn't experience any difficulties with the HT technique. You can practice without going fast on the street by working on braking/revving so that you can program some muscle memory for the track . For example, coming to a stop light/sign and gearing down and simultaneously braking and hitting the accelerator. Not ideal, but an effective way to get some practice.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:56 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gmolinari
Seems like there are a few comments from new RS owners that indicate heel/toe is tricky/impossible with standard pedal config in the RS. These comments so far have come from PCCB owners, and there have been lengthy discussions already about the pedal travel (or lack thereof) in PCCB cars.

Since I am in the process of seeking out an incoming RS, or perhaps building a 2011 I would like to know if the heel/toe issues also exist with RS owners that have selected the standard iron brakes.

thanks
With my 996, I was never able to heel and toe due to the brake pedal being so high. I fixed the problem by installing a set of pedal covers with installing them with removing the factory rubber covers to lower the brake pedal while raising the gas pedal. I initially foudn the same issue with the 2 GT3. The 2 GT3 does have larger/wider pedals and the height difference is not as noticeable. This is probably due to the aluminum gas pedal being taller. On the street I stil have some difficulties, but not on the track. I don't brake as hard on the street as I do on the track. On the track with the extra effort on the brake pedal, I can get the pedal down low enough that heel and toeing feels natural.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I haven't read Walter Rohrl complaining, so if it is ok for him it is ok for me.
Bingo.

FWIW...I have driven 996's, 996 GT3's, and plenty of 997 GT3's with and without PCCB's on tracks. Never had any issue with heel/toeing whatsoever. Was my foot movement the same in every car? No. But a decent driver can and should be able to adapt in pit lane before ever doing the warm up lap. IMHO, of course.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Quick Reply: Heel/Toe in RS