Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3: spoiler alert

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010 | 05:02 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Default GT3: spoiler alert

Well, it has been 2 months since I got my 2010 GT3 and it is time to replace my first front spoiler. Last weekend I was not paying attention and I pulled up into a curb when parking. I checked with my dealer and replacements are only $200 ea, about the same price as the 997.1 GT3 front lip. So, for the price of front end lift you could replace 17.5 front lips.

I went ahead and ordered 2 front lips so I will have a spare. Install is very easy. Just 2 screws on the sides and the rest is tabs. It took me about 15 minutes to replace it being careful. All but 1 of the tabs easily pulled out. There is a trick to pulling them out without damaging the bumper: lift the edge of the spoiler as you pull and pull at an angle to get one side of the tab to start pulling out first. I used a feeder gauge to puch down the one tab that wwas stubborn. The new one just snapped in.

I am going to also refinish the one I took off by sanding it down to remove all the marks and painting it with flat black bumper paint.
Old 03-13-2010 | 06:42 PM
JAMS
Pro

So, let's see: 17.5 lips x 2 months = 35 months, or about three years.

15 min x 17.5 = approx 4.5 hours, plus the time and hassle to order or pickup 17 or 18 spoilers and dispose of the old ones... Thanks, I am feeling much better about front axle lift, now.
Old 03-13-2010 | 07:06 PM
Bill996
Intermediate

The front axle lift will not go high enough to clear all curbs, at least not in my area. My plan is not to dispose of spoilers but to refinish them much as 10 GT3 has suggested. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-13-2010 | 07:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I am going to also refinish the one I took off by sanding it down to remove all the marks and painting it with flat black bumper paint.
Try shoe polish, I heard. I hav not ried it but seems simple enough.

Front axle lift probably makes sense in most places, but not in Florida. I will put the new CUP lip on my 2010 as soon as it arrives, lower it and happily ignore all the scraping noises on my way to work and back. Experience tells me the noises go away after a week or so.
Old 03-13-2010 | 09:35 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Well, it has been 2 months since I got my 2010 GT3 and it is time to replace my first front spoiler. Last weekend I was not paying attention and I pulled up into a curb when parking. I checked with my dealer and replacements are only $200 ea, about the same price as the 997.1 GT3 front lip. So, for the price of front end lift you could replace 17.5 front lips.

I went ahead and ordered 2 front lips so I will have a spare. Install is very easy. Just 2 screws on the sides and the rest is tabs. It took me about 15 minutes to replace it being careful. All but 1 of the tabs easily pulled out. There is a trick to pulling them out without damaging the bumper: lift the edge of the spoiler as you pull and pull at an angle to get one side of the tab to start pulling out first. I used a feeder gauge to puch down the one tab that wwas stubborn. The new one just snapped in.

Where did you order the lip?
Old 03-14-2010 | 03:04 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by JAMS
So, let's see: 17.5 lips x 2 months = 35 months, or about three years.

15 min x 17.5 = approx 4.5 hours, plus the time and hassle to order or pickup 17 or 18 spoilers and dispose of the old ones... Thanks, I am feeling much better about front axle lift, now.
True assuming I have a brain fart and decide to pull into a cub every 2 months. Realistically, this is not very likely to happen often and front end lift would not have helped. I would have need to be about 3" higher to avoid the curb. The Carrera S that was parked next to me didn't have a front lip spoiler and with stock ride height, barely cleared the same curb.

For refinishing the old one, I spent $11 on a sanding block and sand paper plus the $6 I previously spent on bumper paint. I worked on the old spoiler for a while tonight and removed about 80% of the scratches. I should be able to complete the refinish tomorrow.

Originally Posted by russo
Where did you order the lip?
Boardwalk Porsche. I ordered 2 on Monday or Tuesday. They were in stock at Porsche's Atlanta warehouse, so they were at the dealer to pick up today.
Old 03-14-2010 | 03:43 AM
JAMS
Pro

Okay, that was a little facetious, I admit. I just hated having to back in and out of my own driveway and I hated driving around looking for a gas station that I could use, without scraping the front end. It really was an irritation and I am happy to have a solution; albeit an expensive one.
Old 03-14-2010 | 08:29 AM
E4VLL
Instructor

Originally Posted by JAMS
Okay, that was a little facetious, I admit. I just hated having to back in and out of my own driveway and I hated driving around looking for a gas station that I could use, without scraping the front end. It really was an irritation and I am happy to have a solution; albeit an expensive one.
The way I looked at it, was I really going to quibble over £1,700 on a £105k car?

Sure, you have to draw a line; however, it seems silly to draw it before something that actually makes the car easier to live with off-track.
Old 03-14-2010 | 03:48 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

It's pretty clear from the Delecour/EVO video that replacing spoilers is going to be a common theme with or without the lift. If you daily drive and/or your particular area is prone sharp approach angles then the lift probably makes. It didn't for me.
Old 03-14-2010 | 09:30 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

ive driven severely lowered cars for years, just need to learn the right approach for the inclines at hand and wont be a worry.. after a few inclines the wrong way you'll quickly figure it out..

also a simple impact doesnt merit replacement imo... wear it out and replace when destroyed... my friend has lift on gallardo and still hits stuff and my 997 is lower than gallardo and can get up the inclines without a lift no problem. go at like 30* angle or so, slowly.
Old 03-14-2010 | 11:02 PM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

I agree that the cost of the front axle lift is excessive compared to replacement splitters but I don't have the time or the skills to tinker with my car. The front axle lifting kit is a matter of simple convenience and it works for me. I think you'd be hard pushed to find anyone who has it who regrets having ordered it. I certainly don't and I would definitely order it again.
Old 03-15-2010 | 01:54 PM
PNUT
Instructor

i've had my 10gt3 since 7/29/09 and have had it lowered 10mm. no hits to date on the spoiler, no scratches in that time and almost 7,000 miles here in socal. doesn't hit speed bumps and as those who know how to drive low cars know, its in the technique. to me, that $3500 bucks can be better spent elsewhere.
Old 03-15-2010 | 02:38 PM
mobonic
Drifting

I agree.. the front lips is disposable imo

I just let is scrape and then put a new one on.

I also have 1 lip for street and 1 for track!... The old track lips become new street lips
Old 03-15-2010 | 04:40 PM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

The other disadvantage of the front axle lift, apart from cost, is remembering to hit the button but that's operator dependant ... as I found to my detriment as I drove up the drive this evening!
Old 03-15-2010 | 10:22 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

That is true. When I replaced my spoiler, I noticed some scrapes on my front brake ducts and the side spats in front of the wheels. Those happened going over bumps on the street that I never expected to scrape. If I had front end lift, I would have never thought to hit the button to activate it.

Quick Reply: GT3: spoiler alert