Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What camcorders do you guys use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 03:28 PM
skim
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default What camcorders do you guys use?

I am a little late in the game (not a porsche owner yet, still working on it but I want to be a better driver before I hop in a GT3 - other than 993, not interested in any other p-car except GT3 ) but I want to start tracking.
I've watched a lot of in car videos of people here and I want to capture my own driving. What camcorders do you use? I was looking at some HD camcorders but I am not sure if they are worth the money for this use (and maybe other use outside of it, but mainly for this).
Thanks!
Old 03-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Gus F
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skim
I am a little late in the game (not a porsche owner yet, still working on it but I want to be a better driver before I hop in a GT3 - other than 993, not interested in any other p-car except GT3 ) but I want to start tracking.
I've watched a lot of in car videos of people here and I want to capture my own driving. What camcorders do you use? I was looking at some HD camcorders but I am not sure if they are worth the money for this use (and maybe other use outside of it, but mainly for this).
Thanks!

Welcome, Let me tell you that it is never too late for start living the life!!!
What car you intend to track?
Old 03-11-2010, 05:31 PM
skim
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gus F
Welcome, Let me tell you that it is never too late for start living the life!!!
What car you intend to track?
Thanks for the welcome! =)
I drive a z4 coupe, m version so it has the LSD which should be a good track machine to learn with.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:45 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using the AIPTEK series of cameras with a lot of success. I just ordered the following from Amazon.com:

1 "RAYNOX QC-505 WIDE ANGLE 0.5X"; $29.95
1 "Aiptek Action HD GVS 1080P High Definition Camcorder with 5x Optical Zoom (Silver)"; $164.95

I also have a www.filmtools.com suction mount that is extremely robust and sturdy that will be used with the camera. The results with the previous AIPTEK A-HD were great and I expect this to be even better with the wide angle lens.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:28 AM
Gus F
Instructor

Originally Posted by skim
Thanks for the welcome! =)
I drive a z4 coupe, m version so it has the LSD which should be a good track machine to learn with.
My DD is a Interlagos Blue E46 M3, Great car!! the ZM3 must be a great drive too!! you will have a lot of fun!! next natural step is the GT3
Old 03-12-2010, 12:33 AM
Gus F
Instructor

Originally Posted by fc-racer
I've been using the AIPTEK series of cameras with a lot of success. I just ordered the following from Amazon.com:

1 "RAYNOX QC-505 WIDE ANGLE 0.5X"; $29.95
1 "Aiptek Action HD GVS 1080P High Definition Camcorder with 5x Optical Zoom (Silver)"; $164.95

I also have a www.filmtools.com suction mount that is extremely robust and sturdy that will be used with the camera. The results with the previous AIPTEK A-HD were great and I expect this to be even better with the wide angle lens.
fc-car, that camera set up sounds very good, and for HD the prices are not expensive at all !!
Old 03-12-2010, 12:48 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I use a pair of VholdR Contour HD cameras and I'm extremely happy with them. HD (I run 720p/60 but they'll do 1080i/30 as well), light weight, and fairly cheap. They're durable as hell and have simple, one-button controls which make them easy to cope with all the distractions of the paddock. The big tactile on/off switch on the top means you can operate them without removing your driving gloves. They're really well-designed for this sort of use.

I plan to add a third one to the mix this season for an interior angle and so I can grab audio from inside the car (and lessen the wind noise).

The key for quality track video is to get cameras that are as light as possible. The heavier the camera, the harder it will be to avoid vibration and wobble. Second most important feature is a rapid iris/apeture that can cope with light changes as you drive into and away from the sun, or if you're mounting inside a dark car and wanting to record the things happening outside in the bright sun. I think it's worth finding a camera that can do 60fps, too. At track speeds it makes a big difference. I know the Go Pro Hero HD does 60fps too, and is a popular choice like the VholdR.

You're on the right track (har har) with the plan. Grabbing video of your sessions is an invaluable learning tool. I've learned so much by watching my lapping and spotting bad habits or decisions later that I didn't pick up on while I was in the car.

Here's some laps I shot at H2R last month. You have to click through to yootoob to see it in HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad2CDlSRHJc
Old 03-12-2010, 05:15 AM
Jangobipbip
Instructor

Received 156 Likes on 34 Posts

GO Pro HD and it rocks!

Simple, easy and nice quality.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:31 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

^one question- I have the HD one as well but haven't used it. The old one had a viewfinder but the HD does not- how do u know if it's angled rt? I typically mount mine in the rear. Thanks. Mike
Old 03-12-2010, 01:46 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issue with most helmet cams is the internal microphone. Here's a comparison of the different setups I've tried:

w/external mic using a webcam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHCeAUTmty0
w/internal mic using a GoPro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyAwTh2Kehc
w/internal mic using an AIPTEK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJwOX-Zjtdw
w/external mic using an AIPTEK w/wide angle lens: coming soon
Old 03-12-2010, 02:10 PM
skim
Instructor

nice driving, nugget and fc-racer!
after all said and done (planning about 4-5 track days this year), this is one expensive hobby. a lot more than my dad's "expensive" golf. but i am totally psyched!
i was initially thinking of getting an expensive JVC or canon camcorder, but after watching all these and everyone's helpful advice, i can see that a relatively inexpensive handheld like aiptek is a better choice.

how about a flip? i haven't heard much of aiptek though the quality appears to be good, i'm not sure if it can match up against flip?
thanks!
Old 03-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
^one question- I have the HD one as well but haven't used it. The old one had a viewfinder but the HD does not- how do u know if it's angled rt? I typically mount mine in the rear. Thanks. Mike
The VholdR cam has two lasers that point out the front which allows you to see exactly where the camera is pointing and if it's level or not. They light up when you first turn the camera on. I find it's pretty simple in practice to get it right on the first try.

I also agree completely with fc-racer. Having a line in jack to hook up an external microphone is a huge win. Neither the Go Pro or the VholdR have this feature and I miss it a lot from my last rig. A nice external mic with a rycote windjammer on it provided spotless audio even in my old convertible at track speeds.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:42 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

http://www.vio-pov.com/
Old 03-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

HD or GTFO.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:49 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

im considering trying the trackmate for in car....... but the V.I.O for exterior car mount shots as well as on dash face shots

Quick Reply: What camcorders do you guys use?