Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Ceramic Rotor opinion needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:32 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ceramic Rotor opinion needed

The damage to the rotor following last weekend's stud failure. What to you guys think? So far I have been advised to replace the rotor.

Last edited by russo; 01-15-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:37 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

done---- it could just completely blow up with out warning which could not only put your life at risk but anyone near you. Run it past you insurance co. Could happen anywhere.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
The damage to the rotor following last weekend's stud failure. What to you guys think? So far I have been advised to replace the rotor.
My initial response was going to be you should replace the disc.

However, I skimmed through a collection of articles (3 parter) from Total 911 in which PCCB covered in great detail that has in a section of what to look for when buying a car equipped with PCCB brakes. I quote directly from the article, in side bar titled "Points to look for when examining PCCB, perhaps on a potential purchase, pay attention to the following:"

Check around the edge of each disck for damage -- officially two x 10mm (and a maximum of 3 damaged areas per disc) is acceptable although you may think otherwise.

So if the damage fits within the above and there are no other signs the disc is unusable (worn or suffering from too many or too large in size "rough" patches it would appear "officially" the disc is ok.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:20 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Replace it. I will be selling my complete set of Gen II PCCB shortly
Old 03-06-2010, 03:29 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I would question the integrity of that rotor. We're not talking about 'surface' damage from use. The ceramic rotor was whacked at high speed by a wheel and it chunked. I'd also be concerned about the shear stress on the hat hardware.

Personally, I'd replace it, but for that cost you could just use this as your excuse to swap to a high quality slotted setup.

Your pads sure do look thin back there...
Old 03-06-2010, 04:16 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

this is why i was told not to run PCCB rotors when tarmac rallying or on tracks that have common offs.

i love em', but cant afford em....

the damaged rotor looks to be junk......

this would break my heart.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:42 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Not claiming to be a ceramics expert and knowing how expensive they are, still I would replace it.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

I do not see what the problem is. Is that little chunk at the edge? The material is amorphous and I doubt that it would crack from that point.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Go to your Porsche dealer and have their service guy evaluate it. The worst they can say is to replace it. But what's with all the corrosion inside the bearing area? Wow! That salt water in Brownsville must be nasty!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:10 PM
BBTurbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously safety is your number one concern, so the decision is ultimately up to you, but I think the rotor will work without any issues. It's not glass. The chunk will not propagate. As long as you don't see cracks, I think you are fine. I'd run it. Just make sure it doesn't chew up the pad.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
Not sure how applicable it is but years ago I used to test silicon carbide or aluminum oxide grinding wheels (some 3ft in diameter used on crank grinders and such) for cracks by suspending wheel with something through its hub hole and tapping on side of wheel with wooden handle of hammer.

Wheels should ring. If they don't they're cracked and should not be used.

Could be this rotor could be tested similiarly but you'd have to remove rotor assembly from the hub so the thing could ring without the pads dampening the sound.

Tap easy. Sneak up the right tap force.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:27 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

as I posted here that rotor is toast. It is a worn out PCCB rotor, notice the wear marks.

In the original thread picture, the wear mark was visible. In these new pictures you can see two wear marks, plus stress cracks. The rear rotors (both) are due for replacement.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Rotor opinion needed