Porsche Lagune

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 11:31 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking Porsche Lagune

Great turn out by fellow Porsche members at the recent Trackmaster Laguna Seca event 3/4 - 3/5. It was nice meeting everyone form North to South and even Mike all the way from Hawaii with his blue 997.2 GT3!
Mooty was nice enough to show up even though he did not have a car. Gave great instruction while ridding shot gun with me. He had an organic power in-car microphone and it was LOUD

Track was pretty wet in the morning and I only attended 3/4 event. Other will fill in on 3/5. 80shilling was super fast as usual but I am disappointed he did not offer a case of his famous beer for everyone lol

I only got 1 hour of sleep the night before - it's a tradition staying up late getting the last bit of car stuff ready. Big thanks to Alex and James from Sharkwerks for meeting me late Wednesday night in the pouring rain so I can take emergency delivery of Pagid P50 pads for PCCB. Fantastic customer service as usual!

Many did not pass sound even with stock exhaust and there was a mad dash to Home Depot for diversion pipes. My in-car toggle switch work like a charm and the quick 3.2 seconds vacuum cap did it's job on both .1 and .2 GT3.

Here are some video and pictures. It will be my last track event until late summer. I will be having some ortho surgery to fix couple sports related injury. Sucks to be old lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqDqwfTUFfs

Porsche from all generations

This one is going back to Hawaii with Mike!

Mom and Dad!! lol

Renntrack crew from down South

80shilling's flying GT2. Love your 18" OZ!! I am going to get a set soon

More shoe fetish ...

Brave grass root effort to defeat the dreaded 92 db sound limit lol

Last edited by mikymu; 03-07-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice to see everyone. Weather was great and without any serious incidents. Next time I'll be out on CCWs with NT01s.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:00 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike it was awesome meeting you and Mooty.

Being able to drive Laguna Seca was a dream, come true and it lived up to all the hype!

The corkscrew is awesome... this is my new favorite track!

As Mike said the first session was really wet and a great thing for me as it was my first time around the track and I was in the advanced group.. so everryone had to go slow... so i was able to see the track at a lower speed.

After it dried out I was able to learn the corners and the turn in points..... BUT with so much water you had to stay off the gator strips on exit as they were very slippery.. if you put even 2 wheels on them all weekend you would spin out!... so we could not use the whole track...

So after 2 sessions I was able to creep my times down... 1:52....1:50...1:49...1:47

I tried to get some instruction but all the good experienced drivers were in the advanced group with me and they did not want to give up a session (mixed was full).

So on day 2 to Gomez and I started swapping times and the competition was on.... (both of us had never been on this track before).

I was able to get down to a 1:44.. in traffic and I new i had left a few seconds on the table (damn corvette would not let me pass and was playing drag racing on the straights... a$$hole!)

But Gomez put down a 1:42.8 .... (damit he beat me)

I think next time with a dry track and some newer RA1's.. and low 1:40 is on the table and my mark to shoot for.

Im still in Monterey.... so I can't to upload my video.. but here is Gomez's lap.. 1:42.8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxQ8UJ2yA0o
Old 03-06-2010, 01:48 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good coaching Mooty, I feel your frustration. You need to pick up a set of Chatterbox headsets. Patience is the hardest asset to teach and usually comes with seat time....

In Turn 6 there is a pronounced dip right at the apex. You should start back on the throttle before that dip, and be full throttle as your rear wheels dip. The weight transfer to the rear combined with the dip give you more squat and more neg. camber which translates into more traction. Consequently you can carry way more speed thru that turn.

There appeared to be noticable gearing differences between the 2 GT3 videos. Does Gomez have the cup R & P?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:18 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Serge944
Nice to see everyone. Weather was great and without any serious incidents. Next time I'll be out on CCWs with NT01s.
Hey Serge

It was nicce meeting you. Sorry I did not get to chat with you longer. We parked preety far apart. You are one tall guy and your 6GT3 fits! Can't wait to run with you again with your CCW and NT01. Advance group next time right?

Originally Posted by mobonic

Being able to drive Laguna Seca was a dream, come true and it lived up to all the hype!

As Mike said the first session was really wet and a great thing for me as it was my first time around the track and I was in the advanced group.. so everryone had to go slow... so i was able to see the track at a lower speed.

After it dried out I was able to learn the corners and the turn in points..... BUT with so much water you had to stay off the gator strips on exit as they were very slippery.. if you put even 2 wheels on them all weekend you would spin out!... so we could not use the whole track...

So after 2 sessions I was able to creep my times down... 1:52....1:50...1:49...1:47

I tried to get some instruction but all the good experienced drivers were in the advanced group with me and they did not want to give up a session (mixed was full).

So on day 2 to Gomez and I started swapping times and the competition was on.... (both of us had never been on this track before).

I was able to get down to a 1:44.. in traffic and I new i had left a few seconds on the table (damn corvette would not let me pass and was playing drag racing on the straights... a$$hole!)

I think next time with a dry track and some newer RA1's.. and low 1:40 is on the table and my mark to shoot for.

Im still in Monterey.... so I can't to upload my video.. but here is Gomez's lap.. 1:42.8
Hey Mobonic

It was nice meeting you all and gald you finally figure out ways to pass sound. 1:44 is very good time at Laguna and 1:42.8 is even better. Taking small step with speed is a safe way to track. Hoep to see you out here again soon

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Good coaching Mooty, I feel your frustration. You need to pick up a set of Chatterbox headsets. Patience is the hardest asset to teach and usually comes with seat time....

In Turn 6 there is a pronounced dip right at the apex. You should start back on the throttle before that dip, and be full throttle as your rear wheels dip. The weight transfer to the rear combined with the dip give you more squat and more neg. camber which translates into more traction. Consequently you can carry way more speed thru that turn.

There appeared to be noticable gearing differences between the 2 GT3 videos. Does Gomez have the cup R & P?
Motty was not there to instruct and I did not bring my chatterbox. He was just going to ride shotgun but end up giving me instruction

I need to work on turn 6 more next and thanks for the advice
Old 03-06-2010, 05:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,661 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxQ8UJ2yA0o
how much does gomez's car weigh?
Old 03-06-2010, 05:02 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,661 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior

throttle before dip at T6 took me 3-4 years to do it. it's scary at first ;-)

gomez's car isnt a gt3, but it is heavily modded and lightened. looks the business for sure.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:24 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
throttle before dip at T6 took me 3-4 years to do it. it's scary at first ;-)

gomez's car isnt a gt3, but it is heavily modded and lightened. looks the business for sure.
Yeah, I am going to take my time with turn 6 for sure. Safety first especially when you are driving a GT3 or RS. Thanks a whole bunch for instructing and hope you get your track car soon
Old 03-06-2010, 06:57 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

wow, it looked liked a really great day.

Mooty seems like a really great instructor. Really good feedback and directions.

I took the Skip Barber course and only by the 3rd day did turn 6 seem pretty routine. However, another student pitched into the gravel pit a couple times on 6 and hit the curbing hard enough that he bent the suspension to his car. It cost him a few $$$'s but at least he did not get hurt.

Anyway, it would be great to join you guys some day.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:15 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skxf430
wow, it looked liked a really great day.

Mooty seems like a really great instructor. Really good feedback and directions.

I took the Skip Barber course and only by the 3rd day did turn 6 seem pretty routine. However, another student pitched into the gravel pit a couple times on 6 and hit the curbing hard enough that he bent the suspension to his car. It cost him a few $$$'s but at least he did not get hurt.

Anyway, it would be great to join you guys some day.
Yeah, it was alot of fun but you need to exercise care or chance being branded by the walls lol
Old 03-06-2010, 08:51 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Ever considered a holiday to Oz Mooty? I will need all the quality tuition I can get when this thing arrives!!!! Nice job fellas!
Old 03-06-2010, 09:15 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! Looks like great fun! Thanks for the pics and movies.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:56 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911rox
Ever considered a holiday to Oz Mooty? I will need all the quality tuition I can get when this thing arrives!!!! Nice job fellas!
I am sure Mooty is up for a vacation down under

Originally Posted by savyboy
Awesome! Looks like great fun! Thanks for the pics and movies.
Any time. Can't wait to see your 2010 RS on the track
Old 03-06-2010, 10:17 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

That is some entertaining stuff.
Thanks
Old 03-06-2010, 10:30 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gomez and my car are modded 997S, that is why the gearing is different and our cars dont have LSD's... yet

Quick Reply: Porsche Lagune