Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2010 gt3 2nd & 3rd shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:39 AM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 gt3 2nd & 3rd shifting

how long does it take to get the gear oil up to proper temp? i always get very notchy 2nd and 3rd shifts when the car is cold. shifting to 2nd feels like a 2stage shift effort and moving to 3rd feels very hard on the gearbox.the shifts smooth out after a few mins but 3rd still feels like rifle bolt action. then if you drive like a mad man(couple of 7-8k rpms runs) all gears get really smooth like butter, but 3rd gear goes back to feeling like a rifle bolt if you back of the throttle after just few secs.

so is everyone experiencing the same thing with their gt3s? are there any mods to get better shift action when not trying to catch superman,anyone tried different gear oil?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Clifton
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Same here, but other sports cars I've owned have been the same way so I assume this is very normal. Just be ginger with gear changes for the first 10min or so.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:35 PM
RS LOVER
Intermediate

Hi,
I have a 997 RS and I had problems shifting from 2nd to third for about 3000km. The issues that I had were when I was changing quickly at high revs. I would miss 3rd gear and get neutral every now and then.
I asked other guys with GT3's and most said the same thing about 2nd to 3rd. Anyway, after about 2000-3000km the box came good.
I can now change as quickly as I want and have no issues. Give the box some time and it will come good.
Hope this helps.

Ciao
Old 03-05-2010, 08:40 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how long does it take to get the gear oil up to proper temp? i always get very notchy 2nd and 3rd shifts when the car is cold. shifting to 2nd feels like a 2stage shift effort and moving to 3rd feels very hard on the gearbox.
Depends on the traffic and weather, it can be as long as a good few miles or ten/fifteen minutes until I feel the gear oil warms up and the shift becomes smoother.

At where I live, there are a few stop lights between my house and the freeway.

In the morning when I first start the engine and drive the car, the gear oil is cold. So when driving-off from still at those stop lights, I sometimes will skid shifting into the 2nd gear -- from 1st to 3rd (with careful rev-matching.)

That smooths out the drive, and I hope to be easy on the 2nd gear syncro on the long run. When the gear oil warms up, I shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear as usual.

I am not sure if this is a right practice (other gurus please chime in), I have been doing so since my first Porsche in the 1980's.

Regards,
Old 03-05-2010, 08:52 PM
jenk12m
Banned

same issue was there for most in the 997.1 gt3, dont worry about. it will be smooth as butter all the time, the more you drive it
Old 03-05-2010, 10:58 PM
fun2k
Racer

Originally Posted by Clifton
Same here, but other sports cars I've owned have been the same way so I assume this is very normal. Just be ginger with gear changes for the first 10min or so.
ok thanks m8

Originally Posted by dkrash GT3 RS
Hi,
I have a 997 RS and I had problems shifting from 2nd to third for about 3000km. The issues that I had were when I was changing quickly at high revs. I would miss 3rd gear and get neutral every now and then.
I asked other guys with GT3's and most said the same thing about 2nd to 3rd. Anyway, after about 2000-3000km the box came good.
I can now change as quickly as I want and have no issues. Give the box some time and it will come good.
Hope this helps.

Ciao
my car has done 6000km.funny i also used miss 3rd a lot,i thought it was more to do with practise i dont miss shift now,although shifting has got smoother than before. have you tried changing trans oil?

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Depends on the traffic and weather, it can be as long as a good few miles or ten/fifteen minutes until I feel the gear oil warms up and the shift becomes smoother.

At where I live, there are a few stop lights between my house and the freeway.

In the morning when I first start the engine and drive the car, the gear oil is cold. So when driving-off from still at those stop lights, I sometimes will skid shifting into the 2nd gear -- from 1st to 3rd (with careful rev-matching.)

That smooths out the drive, and I hope to be easy on the 2nd gear syncro on the long run. When the gear oil warms up, I shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear as usual.

I am not sure if this is a right practice (other gurus please chime in), I have been doing so since my first Porsche in the 1980's.

Regards,
yes gear oil takes a long time to warm up. i also sometimes skip 3rd(but not when oil is cold,takes lot of muscles to shift into third.smoothes out after 2-3mins.
btw no syncro for 2nd gear only 3-5 have syncros.

Originally Posted by jenk12m
same issue was there for most in the 997.1 gt3, dont worry about. it will be smooth as butter all the time, the more you drive it
ic thanks for the heads up.
btw do you recommend i change trans/gear box oil?im at 6000km.

Quick Reply: 2010 gt3 2nd & 3rd shifting