Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

WEVO mount my engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 AM
optionpunk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, you epitomize the spirit of Rennlist. Well done as always!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:03 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
LOL, you are definitely NOT helping!!

That said, will you know when they need to be replaced? Is there a tell-tale, short of the engine falling out, or gears no longer meshing?
Hey, I am not sure what to tell you about that. I would call WEVO about that, or discuss this with others that are "in the know". WEVO seems to be a pretty down to earth company that is honestly interested in your car and your satisfaction. The thing to hear is someone who has experience that says they replaced their semi solids after 3 years of use and they felt the difference in the replacement part.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:59 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Passed on the rainy day at Thunderhill - went to Laguna Seca on Monday with Hooked on Driving. Either I became a whole lot better driver over the winter break, or its just possible that the WEVO motor mounts really made a significant difference. Much easier to manipulate the car though each corner and much easier to catch the car and avoid a spin when overcooking it into a corner.

Just can't think of anything negative to say about the WEVO mounts. Pretty much a "why not" modification.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:23 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

On the waiting list with a confirmed order....

Last edited by NVRANUF; 03-17-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I was just wondering...

Why not just go with CUP car mounts or 993 RS mounts? And what about a gearbox mount?
Old 03-18-2010, 12:00 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
I was just wondering...

Why not just go with CUP car mounts or 993 RS mounts? And what about a gearbox mount?
MJSpeed brings up an interesting question that deserves some attention. Hey, anybody please enlighten me here on this one and correct me where I am wrong...

Solid mounts = strictly or mostly track use = more vibrations = replace after many years of use???

Semi Solid (ie WEVO) = mostly track but still streetable = slightly more vibrations than OEM = should replace every several years???

How much different are the two from each other?

I have already installed the WEVO's and am definitely pleased. I am just wondering if anybody has some personal experience of solids vs semi solids.

As far as the gearbox mount, the guys at WEVO told me that they are a normal wear item and should be replaced every so often, but they do not make any replacement. They did not see any need for a replacement from OEM. Any thoughts on this?
Old 03-18-2010, 01:26 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

My 6GT3 has the 993 rs mounts- less rubber but I dont feel ne different then stock. With respect to the wevo- what material is the yellow part- rubber or polyurethane? Mike
Old 03-18-2010, 07:47 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 195 Posts

This has been an immensely helpful thread--thanks Mike and all the posters. I think I'm 99% sold.

But thinking from a different angle, why weren't our cars specced with harder mounts to begin with? I don't suppose this was an economic or comfort-related decision (particularly for the RS'es which never had an ounce of comfort to begin with and carried a premium pricetag in the name of performance). Cup cars have solid mounts, but their service cycle is measured in tens of hours... Meanwhile, I reckon there's a good number of track-oriented cars that chose to stick with oil-damped mounts like ours, like the F360CS of yore and current-gen Gallardo Superleggerra (have spent considerable time with both)

All of which leads me to wonder, do harder mounts increase wear-and-tear, particularly on the drivetrain components? Please don't take this as skepticism--I'm just thinking through the potential downsides before I click that "Buy" button
Old 03-18-2010, 09:41 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Passed on the rainy day at Thunderhill - went to Laguna Seca on Monday with Hooked on Driving. Either I became a whole lot better driver over the winter break, or its just possible that the WEVO motor mounts really made a significant difference. Much easier to manipulate the car though each corner and much easier to catch the car and avoid a spin when overcooking it into a corner.

Just can't think of anything negative to say about the WEVO mounts. Pretty much a "why not" modification.
Yes, I had the same experience first time on the track with WEVO. Love that "what happen to my car?" feeling and much easier to take corners. I gave myself credit for being a better driver lol

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
MJSpeed brings up an interesting question that deserves some attention. Hey, anybody please enlighten me here on this one and correct me where I am wrong...

Solid mounts = strictly or mostly track use = more vibrations = replace after many years of use???

Yup - it willl knock your teeth lose lol

Semi Solid (ie WEVO) = mostly track but still streetable = slightly more vibrations than OEM = should replace every several years???

Yes, you will need to replace OEM engine mount at the same interval. It's a wear item much like tire and brake pads

How much different are the two from each other? You said it above

I have already installed the WEVO's and am definitely pleased. I am just wondering if anybody has some personal experience of solids vs semi solids.

As far as the gearbox mount, the guys at WEVO told me that they are a normal wear item and should be replaced every so often, but they do not make any replacement. They did not see any need for a replacement from OEM. Any thoughts on this?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:28 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Like another poster in this thread I had Wevo mounts in my 996 C2 and thought they were well worth the money.

The wear sectinon is Poly not rubber.

Mine were in my car for about 12 months before i sold it and looked brand new when I took them out. In all fairness they didn't have much mileage though so who knows on wear. HOWEVER, for the C2 we had two choices of "Pillows" as wevo calls them. I went for the softer black pillows as my car was still a street car first. I inquired about replacement pillows before I bought the mounts and if I remember correctly they were <$50 for the replacements. So those of you concerned about wear the whole mount doesn't have to be replaced just the Poly insert. Another bouns for the product if you ask me.

My only other comment would be that for me I barely noticed the increased vibration/ noise when I installed the mounts. They were a big plus at the track. When I took them out because I was selling the car I realized it was a much more dramatic swing than my origional impressions of the moutns. It was soo much more civil and pleasant on the street with the stock mounts back in the car.

Andy
Old 03-18-2010, 10:53 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the version for that Mikymu installed in this thread allows the change of "pillow" too? This will reduce the future replacement cost...
Old 03-18-2010, 12:22 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Has anyone any experience with these:

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Sol...oductinfo/M08/
Old 03-18-2010, 01:11 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder if the solid mounts would create any problem to the mounting surfaces.. i.e., somehow breaks it after many stress cycles..
Old 03-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

I can't resist any longer. Ordered a couple. Too bad that they are out of stock since I'll be on track on Saturday.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had the WEVO mounts on for about 3 weeks and in terms of a noise/vibration issue, there really is none. I can't see a downside to this modification.

Quick Reply: WEVO mount my engine